• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

I'm listening to a lot of Katy Perry for whatever reason. I'm also getting into Adele like 4 years late.

hey pitchfork's got this fan voted best 200 since 1997 or some shit. pretty cool list. mostly predictable, especially the top 10, but there's some neat surprises in there, and also some albums that I've never listened to and a few I've never heard of. I get excited at the possibility of good music I haven't heard.guess what album's number one! (hint: it's fucking radiohead)

• 2 weeks later...

I went and saw D'Angelo last night (he's touring with Mary J. Blige).

Holy cow, that guy is still so cool. The music is James Brown funk, with a fantastic band. It's worth it, go check it out.

I hope John Mayer was there.

MUSIC LESSONS with John Mayer

This month's lesson: An open letter to D'Angelo

By John Mayer

More from this author

DEAR D'ANGELO, My name is John Mayer. You might know me from that "Your Body Is a Wonderland" song, or perhaps our mutual friend, Roots drummer? uestlove, mentioned me to you. I'm writing to ask you to put out a follow-up to one of the few records to change my life forever, Voodoo.

When Voodoo came out in 2000, I stood in line at Tower Records in Atlanta at midnight to get it. Turns out, it set the gold standard for modern "neo" soul music. It's 2004, and I'm no less excited by it today than I was when I played it full blast in my mother's Plymouth Voyager on the way to my bullshit job. I drive a nicer car now, but I still listen to Voodoo and wonder what my albums would sound like if I took a bite off your style and what R&B would be like if you came back.

In contrast to the present age of gunmetal-gray hip-hop, with perfectly aligned beats and blips, Voodoo throbs. It's skin in the place of plastic. Questlove's drums serve as an atomic clock, while Pino Palladino's bass playing taunts the drums by showing the bar line just how late it can wake up and still arrive to work on time. I'm not even going to detail your impeccable vocal layering. You know what you did.

Yes, Voodoo isn't laced with perfect pop hooks, but then again it's so devoid of them that I never assumed you were worried about appeasing radio anyway. Its beauty is simplicity, a Japanese rock garden of hip-hop and R&B, and it's because of the negative space that I can still listen to it. There's nothing frivolous to get stuck in your head, so there's nothing to want out.

If you haven't recently committed any of yourself to tape, I'm begging you to put your suit and cape back on. Your contemporaries aren't going to ask you to come back; they're scared of having to be perched next to you. Only a lanky white boy like me can call you out of hiding. And if you need any help with those tunes, you know who to call. Questlove's got my number.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ1204MEYER_1#ixzz267V2r1yd

oh good lord I was just reading the grizzly bear wiki and apparently the band was named after the lead singer dude's ex boyfriend. great, I love the new album but now every time I hear it I'm going to thing about big hairy gay guys. jesus christ.

• Like 1

but seriously guys I cannot stop listening to this new grizzly bear. wasn't even really a fan before and now they've shot up to top 5 favorites. it's becoming obsessive.

also has anybody mentioned that the new hot chip is really freaking good too? hip, hip stuff.

"A Simple Answer" was the one that really grabbed me right away. But I really love the cohesiveness of the album, how the songs flow into each other, and how well-crafted and ornate the entire effort is.

• 1 month later...

I'm a classic Country fan. Favorite artists in order: Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams Sr(not a big fan of Jr, but I do love some 3), Keith Whitley, Johnny Cash.

Also like Southern Rock and bluegrass.

ever since I started watching the walking dead I haven't been able to listen to anything but godspeed you black emperor and explosions in the sky. excellent end of the world apocalypse music.

• 2 weeks later...