• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

ok so I actually just found out that these things expire in under a week. list albums I don't have but should.
search collages for elvis costello picks the 500 greatest albums of all-time and grab whatever looks goodor alternatively,how's your _______ catalog, where _______ = stonesdylanmileselton johnbowiemarvinbob marleyspringsteenrandy newmanneil young
Elvis Costello's ListIt's a pretty damn good list. Nice cross-section of classical and jazz, along with a few other sub-cats of music that not enough people acknowledge.Maybe, and this is highly arguable, there are a couple too many Beatles, Dylan and Davis, for example, and I am not the Grateful Dead's biggest fan, so i woudn't put 4 of their albums there, but it's not my list, is it?Whoever transcribed the list butchered Handel's name lol. I really loved, for example, seeing Jefferson Airplane, The Jesus and the Mary Chain and Antonio Carlos Jobim listed side by each. But no Frank Zappa? Not one album?Lots of Greatest hit albums, which is a bit of an easy way out, but perfectly viable even if some GH packages throw in a crappy song or two from a later period of said artist.Anyway...make for good reference.
7108weEWeIL.jpgSMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILE! 5 disc box set is out, as is the smaller 2 disc set. What's tracker is having all kinds of problems, but I wanna mention that they said they're extending the tokens. Somebody mentioned it in the forums, and they made the announcement on their twitter page as well. The 5 disc set is up on waffles too though. SMILE!

I ask this in the most serious way.What is so great about this 'what' place that differentiates it from the hundreds of other places I can download free illegal music without needing 'tokens'.

I ask this in the most serious way.What is so great about this 'what' place that differentiates it from the hundreds of other places I can download free illegal music without needing 'tokens'.
You don't need tokens, it's just something that they gave out this week for the first time ever. And the ones they gave out you don't need to use - you simply can if you want to. What's so great about it is that it's the largest private filesharing network ever, of any kind. And it's almost all music (there's also some comics and ebooks and stuff, but no videos).Torrents: 1,223,336Releases: 504,007Artists: 437,035"Perfect" FLACs: 288,760
You don't need tokens, it's just something that they gave out this week for the first time ever. And the ones they gave out you don't need to use - you simply can if you want to.
This makes no sense to me. What is the point of the tokens?
This makes no sense to me. What is the point of the tokens?
It's unimportant really. But the site requires that you maintain a certain ratio, which for most users is very low. Downloading things "hurts" your ratio, but seeding those things and getting upload credit when other people download them helps your ratio. But the tokens can be used to download torrents without the download amount counting against you. Again, the tokens have almost nothing to do with the daily operation of the site, it's just something they did this week. And it's caused problems with the tracker because so many people are trying to download things at once, because the tokens have an expiration date.

doing some basic math on the numbers above...156 uploaded / 78 downloaded = ratio of 2.0required ratio of .4 means...156 / .4 = 390 - 78 = 312could theoretically download 312GBs of music without penalty. timmy missed the main reason why it's so nice: the collective uploading power of all the members can actually max out any consumer grade connection. so, if you have good cable internet, you can download good quality albums in under 2 minutes.the thing about these private sites is that music is ripped to certain standards (sound quality) and tagged appropriately. you don't put an album into your mp3 player and get "Unknown Artist - Track 1," and if that does happen, you report the person and that shit is deleted and their uploading privileges are taken away.

timmy missed the main reason why it's so nice: the collective uploading power of all the members can actually max out any consumer grade connection. so, if you have good cable internet, you can download good quality albums in under 2 minutes.
So true - I kind of take that for granted I guess, since I didn't even think to mention it. Any albums that are even the slightest bit popular will download at crazy speeds, and even rare or unpopular stuff that might only have 1 or 2 seeders will usually download relatively fast too.

I want to share a paragraph, from the excellent Sep 2006 GQ profile of Axl Rose, written by John Jeremiah Sullivan, because it's wonderful. He's describing a music festival in Bilbao, Spain, which Guns 'N Roses would later headline.The district where they played is called Kobetamendi. It's high up, and from there you could see the city, the river, the spires, the flashing titanium scales of the museum. When it got dark, you could see the lights. When there aren't stages set up at Kobetamendi, it's just a large empty field with a road and, across the road, some modest farmhouses. As I reached the crest of the hill, a rap-rock band was playing. I don't "get," as they say, rap-rock, and I'm a person who's cultivated a taste for some fairly awful music. The justification for rap-rock seems to be that if you take really bad rock and put really bad rap over it, the result is somehow good, provided the raps are being barked by an overweight white guy with short hair and forearm tattoos. The women from those few little farmhouses had gathered at their fence; they leaned and mumbled and dangled their canes. One of them was one of the oldest-looking old people I have ever seen, with stiff white hair and that face, like the inside of a walnut shell, that only truly ancient women get. She and her friends were actually listening to the rap-rock, and part of me wanted to run over to them and assure them that after they died, there would still be people left in the world who knew how horrifying this music was, and that these people would transmit their knowledge to carefully chosen members of future generations, but the ladies did not appear worried. They were even laughing. I'm sure they remembered Gypsy circuses in that field in eighteen ninety something, and what was the difference, really?

2) What album do you most regret sleeping?2) Wilco: A Ghost is Born
ever since this post I've been listening to this album a whole lot. I had "slept it," as the cool kids say, myself, so wang's post made me go back and give it a chance. came on slowly the second time too, but spiders (kidsmoke) and company in my back are just so god damn good I kept coming back for more. oh, but that 10 minute noise section at the end of the second to last song... I mean really wilco? what was the logic there? that shit angers me. but anyways, yeah, besides that, it's a really good album. I consider it their "jam band" album. like yhf is the experimental one, being there is the country one, and a ghost is born is their jam band one.also the new m83 is very very nice too. I was glad I got it because it came out fairly recently after I saw "drive," and I really dug the music in that which was pretty m83ish, but then I downloaded the soundtrack and it didn't include any of the actual songs, just a bunch of the ambient background shit (really soundtrack guy? that's what you thought I was looking for? you probably buy your kids socks for christmas don't you you fucking faggot...) so it was timed well for music I was looking for. thanks m83!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
everyone go download El Caminoyes yes I know you wouldn't download a car but in this case it's more an album than a car
After just one song (I listened to Lonely Boy on YouTube), I think this is probably the recommendation of the day. Love the sound...kind of Link Wray meets the Creature from the Black Lagoon