what music are you guys listening to?

and kanye's is probably the best hip hop album to come out in ten years, and probably one of the top ten albums this decade.
Sly diss at hip-hop there. But my other issue with your post is that, since you expanded it to 'hip-hop' and not just 'rap,' fuckin 'Donuts' is the best album of any sort since Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations in 1981. On that note, this is one of the most incredible and beautiful things ever filmed:
<----- If you only click one of these, this should be the one.
<---- Or this one.Bach wrote the piece for the harpsichord, which has multiple rows of keys. That's why, playing it on a piano, Gould's hands have to do such elaborate crossovers. Not that it's easy to play on the harpsichord of course, but on the piano, and in Gould's interpretation, it is a succinct illustration of absolute brilliance. It blows me away every single time I listen to it, and more so when I see him playing it. It's not just the height of human musical achievement - it's an illustration of how incredible the human brain is, and what incredible, seemingly impossible things it can accomplish.
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

I finally listened to the new Big Boi. Love it.Also checked out that James Blake fella.

is pretty sexy, but the sound quality doesn't do the wobbling bass any justice.P.S. James Blake is not hip-hop. He's a British fella (which is why I keep saying 'fella'), into some of that wonky dubstep Burial shit, but a lot more...musical. I don't mean that as a slight towards Burial and Joker and all them (a lot of that stuff I really like, more than what I've heard of Blake), just that James Blake takes it in a very different direction.
What is that sample in the high register at the beginning? It's on "the Hydrant Game," toohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuUd5jDc2uU(I have a better mix of it, which also used that sample, on a Peatnutbutter Wolf compilation)
Bwahaha! I just randomly came across the answer to this, and it's outstanding. Fucking Dilla man. Fuck. The five year anniversary of Donuts and his death is coming up right before Valentine's Day.
=
and Takin' What's MineThe way he has that super-soprano coming through the left speaker, gorgeous. Reminds me of the classic example of Dilla flipping forgotten old white people folk music: Claire =
Real nice sound quality on 'Players' there too.
Bach wrote the piece for the harpsichord, which has multiple rows of keys. That's why, playing it on a piano, Gould's hands have to do such elaborate crossovers. Not that it's easy to play on the harpsichord of course, but on the piano, and in Gould's interpretation, it is a succinct illustration of absolute brilliance. It blows me away every single time I listen to it, and more so when I see him playing it. It's not just the height of human musical achievement - it's an illustration of how incredible the human brain is, and what incredible, seemingly impossible things it can accomplish.
Gould's goldberg variations always strike me as the Yngwie Malmsteen of classical piano. Also it would be far more impressive if he could play it without the crossovers (ie have the hands converge then the right hand takes over the left's part and vice versa. that would be some intricate shit.)

So, the new Ghostface is still growing on me. It's actually pretty dope, but there are some serious low points. It would be an amazing mixtape, but as a full album it feels a bit lacking or unfinished. 'Street Bullies' is my favorite track right now, and Raekwon's verse to open 'Ghetto' is my favorite moment/verse. 'How You Like Me Baby' is also a really nice beat.

I really like the band "girls" which is pretty surprising, since I usually don't like music like this. I bet wang likes them too. sounds like his brand of weird sad sack freak type music.

I really like the band "girls" which is pretty surprising, since I usually don't like music like this. I bet wang likes them too. sounds like his brand of weird sad sack freak type music.
I've also been really enjoying girl talk and sleigh bells as well lately. I think there may be a pattern here.(the pattern is that I'm a faggot.)
I've also been really enjoying girl talk and sleigh bells as well lately. I think there may be a pattern here.(the pattern is that I'm a faggot.)
careful - keep that talk up and the CRTC won't play you on the radio anymore.
(Yeah, I also really like Sleigh Bells)
you know, I listed to them twice before and never really took to it, but I listened to them again this morning when I was working out and it just clicked. I think at least 50% of whether or not I'll like new music has to do with the specific mood I'm in at the time I listen to it. I think the first two times I was in more of an elliott smith or sufjan kind of mood and that's why it didn't work.
careful - keep that talk up and the CRTC won't play you on the radio anymore.
well I don't have any idea what this means
well I don't have any idea what this means
The song "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits was just declared to be obscene and unplayable on the radio in Canada because it contains the word "faggot" - a bunch of radio stations are playing it non-stop in protest.
Oh, I wish I had a suntanI wish I had a pizza and a bottle of wineI wish I had a beach houseThen we could make a big fire every nightInstead I'm just crazy, I'm totally madYeah I'm just crazy, I'm fucked in the headAnd maybe if I really tried with all of my heartThen I could make a brand new start in love with youC'mon c'mon c'mon Kayla
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm currently listening to this rather fantastic DJ Food sound cloud.
that's good stuff
So, what do people think of the new Destroyer?
I hate saxophones. ruins it for me. dudes got some sweet hair though.somebody tell me something new to listen to. I want more music. I wish strategy would recommend something not electronic for me because that is what I'm looking for ok strategy can you hear me please thank you.
somebody tell me something new to listen to. I want more music. I wish strategy would recommend something not electronic for me because that is what I'm looking for ok strategy can you hear me please thank you.
I don't really bother with finding new music but lately I am finding myself being a total lemon whenever people discuss music. Like, they're all getting hot and heavy debating the merits of Arab Strap etc and I'm stuck in a time warp. I rarely listen to anything recorded in the last 20 years.So basically: I need new music too. But nothing too pretentious-indie-wank, please.

hmm, I was getting ready to come in here and declare that I have decided I like bright eyes/conor oberst and I won't apologize for it, and then I looked on what and saw that they just released a new album. oh the timing! so I'm excited to listen to that. lg: do you like sufjan? if so, have you given seven swans a good listen? it was always the bastard child of sufjan to me so I never listened to it in favor of michigan and illinois, but a few months ago I gave it another go and it's my favorite of his at the moment. much more simple and eloquent, and even dark in some places. really nice stuff.edit: I realize this isn't any sort of "new" recommendation or anything, I just feel like seven swans is probably heavily overlooked by a lot of people and it really shouldn't be.

hmm, I was getting ready to come in here and declare that I have decided I like bright eyes/conor oberst and I won't apologize for it, and then I looked on what and saw that they just released a new album. oh the timing! so I'm excited to listen to that. lg: do you like sufjan? if so, have you given seven swans a good listen? it was always the bastard child of sufjan to me so I never listened to it in favor of michigan and illinois, but a few months ago I gave it another go and it's my favorite of his at the moment. much more simple and eloquent, and even dark in some places. really nice stuff.edit: I realize this isn't any sort of "new" recommendation or anything, I just feel like seven swans is probably heavily overlooked by a lot of people and it really shouldn't be.
I heard the new Bright Eyes. It sounds exactly like his previous album (Wide Awake etc). It's fine but I doubt I'll be listening to it much, it doesn't "speak" to me or whatever. I do like Sufjan and like you I have tended to stick with the best known albums. I used to have Seven Swans but I guess I deleted it because I wasn't listening to it and needed space on my hard drive. Now I am regretting that.

oh. too bad it's out of print and you can't fin... oh wait! the internet! try there?edit: wow, that was WAY more smartassed and smug than I intended it to be. goodness.