what music are you guys listening to?

This thread has failed me: the basic impression I got was that Thom Yorke's solo stuff was sort of meh or OK, so I never bothered to listen to it. As it turns out, it's like all the elements I like best about Radiohead's later stuff. Thom is like the world's most compelling snare programmer.
I highly recommend the Eraser: Remixes if you haven't already heard it.
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

I don't know The Jesus Lizard. Should I?
Hey everybody, check out this guy! He's never listened to Jesus Lizard! I mean, come on, right? What kind of music person has never heard Jesus Lizard. They are such an important [Wang switches to Wikipedia browser tab] alternative rock band from the [Wang switches to Wikipedia browser tab] late-80s/early-90s. Their brand of [Wang switches to Wikipedia browser tab] psuedo-industrial, piercing-guitar rock, coupled with [Wang switches to Wikipedia browser tab] David Yow's frenzied, incoherent vocals were unlike anything past or present. The fact that they were [Wang switches to Wikipedia browser tab] involved with, and later spurned by, Steve Albini -- I'm assuming you know who Steve Albini is -- should tell you a little something. [File, New Tab. Go to: What.CD. Search torrents: "Jesus Lizard." Album Goat, open with: uTorrent. Album Liar, open with: uTorrent. Album Head, open with: uTorrent. Go to: kitchen. Wipe forehead with damp cloth. Look around nervously. Breathe sigh of relief. Cry a little. Don't know why.]Alternately:"You know that Simpsons Tree House of Horrors where Homer has the time-traveling toaster? And he goes back to, like, the Crustacean era and starts clubbing dinosaurs and shit? The Jesus Lizard is the little guy he steps on at one point. Either that or something from Chrono Trigger when they have to fight the Reptites."
This thread has failed me: the basic impression I got was that Thom Yorke's solo stuff was sort of meh or OK, so I never bothered to listen to it. As it turns out, it's like all the elements I like best about Radiohead's later stuff. Thom is like the world's most compelling snare programmer.
I have no idea what Kieran Hebdan is doing most of the time -- honestly, I don't know enough about music to know when his drums are sampled, programmed, or what -- but if his Four Tet snare/rim/hat stuff is programmed, I'd take him over Yorke. I'm pretty sure Radiohead are big fans, and I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Yorke's taken a few tricks -- yay for laptop music -- from Hebdan. I'm pretty sure he supported them on the Hail to the Thief tour, which is right around the time Thom started doing his solo stuff. By the way, I can't stop listening to the new single, "Love Cry."
I highly recommend the Eraser: Remixes if you haven't already heard it.
I enjoy a lot of it. There are some songs I simply don't care for, but it's an album of remixes, so I simply don't feel guilty when I claim to like the album when I really mean "I really enjoy, like, 3 or 4 of the songs independently." The Field's remix of "Cymbal Rush" is awesome, but I like The Field. I remember seeing the 4-note blip/blip/blip that forms the basis for the track show up somewhere on a Hail to the Thief B-side. (FOUND IT. "Try to Save Your Prize." It's not a b-side, apparently, but an unreleased track they must have demoed or played during a webcast. I listened to this over and over for a full day. I don't know why, but it crawled inside my brain.") I mentioned and fawned over the Cristian Vogel Bonus Beats remix of Black Swan. When I first heard the remixes album, about 4 tracks got put into regular rotation, and played very frequently. This was from November-December of last year, a time when I was very happy for about 6 weeks.All in all, I enjoy Thom's stuff, but not as much as the full-band, live-music Radiohead play. I'm glad he does it, though, since it usually means he can get all that out of his system without the band having to break up or something. I'm excited to see Thom play "Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses," since it had an awesome rollicking bass-line when they first tried it out a long time ago as a full band, and now he's touring with Flea and shit.
Ba ha ha, you're right
The whole thing -- that entire response -- was designed specifically so I could make a joke about the Reptites, and I completely ruined it by typing "reptiles" instead. It was a simple typo, but a significant and unfortunate one. God dammit. You have no idea how frustrated I was when I got out of the shower, checked this thread still in my towel (I was very excited about my contribution), and saw the mistake. I actually said something out loud. I think it was:"(quiet laughter, coupled with head bobbing, which, when I notice the error in Yorke's one line quote of my post, is suddenly cu-) Aw ma-... God ugh. Rep TITES. Ack dammit. Fuck."Then I got self-conscious because I was talking to myself about a message board post about a joke about Chrono Trigger which I set up with a reference to The Simpsons in response to a question about a band I wasn't that familiar with in a thread about music in the entertainment section of a poker forum on which I spend a significant amount of time interacting with and craving the approval of people I have never met still wet from the shower because I had spent too little time toweling off so I could see if anybody had responded yet. Then I said out loud:"Derek you are not even wearing pants." It seemed important at the time.

Wait a second...I DIDN'T screw it up. It was right in my original post. Did you switch it to "Reptiles" in your quote? I went back and checked, and it very obviously says "reptites." Maybe you were trying to delete the other portions of the post that weren't specifically relevant to your no-homo appreciation of my (the feeling is reciprocal by the way [and I use "reciprocal" instead of "mutual" because you are very mathy, and that seems like a much mathier word]) post, but you accidentally erased a portion of the part you needed, so instead of going back and requoting, you just typed in "r-e-p-t-i-L-e-s" by hand? I didn't change it. I swear.

I had to leave the room, I was laughing so hard at the sheer stupidity of the past few posts. God, we collectively must be the stupidest/most awesome people on the planet.

Listening to that Rahsaan Roland Kirk you upped timwakefield, this version of 'If I Loved You' is outstanding and it's one of my favourite songs already, so thanks a lot for sharing it with me.Having said that, got any more recs for me? I didn't want to say it because it's no big deal but I do a little jazz radio show on our student radio station and I'd like to have some fresh material so I don't have to keep repeating the same artists over and over.

Listening to that Rahsaan Roland Kirk you upped timwakefield, this version of 'If I Loved You' is outstanding and it's one of my favourite songs already, so thanks a lot for sharing it with me.
Awesome, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm also glad to hear that 'If I Loved You' stood out to you as well, because that track is probably my single favorite recording of him, if I had to pick one.
Having said that, got any more recs for me? I didn't want to say it because it's no big deal but I do a little jazz radio show on our student radio station and I'd like to have some fresh material so I don't have to keep repeating the same artists over and over.
For sure, I actually just finished re-organizing allllll of my mp3s and flacs, correcting the tags and artist names and folder names, etc etc. Anyways, long story short, I'd be happy to up some more stuff!
For sure, I actually just finished re-organizing allllll of my mp3s and flacs, correcting the tags and artist names and folder names, etc etc. Anyways, long story short, I'd be happy to up some more stuff!
I just transcoded a few flacs too. Couldn't figure out why James P Johnson and Hamp & Getz weren't showing up in my itunes, then realised that was why. I'm splurging on waffles and downloading some new stuff since my ratio is pretty strong right now - Earl Hines, Art Tatum, Jelly Roll Morton, and Louis Armstrong plays King Oliver (hoping to discern some mentor-protege dynamic).

Jazz for LG! So here's a couple albums, I'll probably do more later or tomorrow. I hadn't wanted to overwhelm you with too much stuff, but it sounds like I shouldn't be concerned about that.Eric Dolphy - Live in Copenhagen vol. 1&2, 1961Cannonball Adderley - Live in San Francisco, 1959 - Bobby Timmons on piano

That was enjoyable.
I had to leave the room, I was laughing so hard at the sheer stupidity of the past few posts. God, we collectively must be the stupidest/most awesome people on the planet.
You know, it sounds pretty bad, but I really liked myself during that 4-post stretch yesterday. I went back and read it this morning, and decided I was pretty sweet right there. Everybody knows how much I hate myself most of the time, but I can look back proudly on that 2.5 hour stretch of my life, and confront it with no regrets. For some reason, the creative juices were flowing. Instead of harnessing them to actually create something worthwhile, I rode the wave to Chrono Trigger and stream-of-conciousness self-loathing, and then a brief daydream explaining how "Reptites" got changed to "Reptiles" when Yorke quoted me. One thing I like about myself: if I think of something stupid and awesome, I'll do it, even if it requires 1,200 words, and even if it serves no tangible purpose. I'll seriously waste 3 hours of my life making a really lame joke. I do not believe I will ever be accused of taking myself too seriously.When I get back from smoking, I shall:Do the iPod shuffle game.Examine, explore, and subsequently address a question Ron Burgundy posed earlier. (Yeah, I'm giving a roadmap. I was captain of the debate team. I was a ****ing roadmap machine. Plus, I could speed like a demon and wrote the best Kritik's in the state, all of which included vicious insults sprinkled throughout.)
im wondering if you guys could help me out with something:i write/compile a magazine with a friend and one of our features is "hip hop is poetry too", where we type the lyrics of one hip hop song as an example of how lyrical some of these dudes are. first month was deltron "turbulence", second was wutang "impossible". im having trouble thinking of a song that, like those, would actually impress random (reasonably cool) 50 year old white people who, you know, like poetry and shit. im thinking maybe something not from new york since we just did wutang, and maybe something a little more indie? you think busdriver would work? i would love to hear suggestions.
I know you said no more New York, but the first thing I thought of was the Def Jux guys: Aesop, El Producto, etc.Some of Aesop's stuff can be tough, though, since the lyrics are very hard to transcribe at times. (I'm pretty sure all the lyrics sites have the words to "Flashflood" wrong, for example, but no matter how hard I try I can't figure some of them out.) Aesop might be a little too randomly metaphorical, too, if that makes sense. He's a great lyricist, but he crams some words together that just... don't go together. El-P, however, seems like he would be perfect for this. First, he is arguably the forefather of WeirdRap. I know this isn't a real genre, and I have no idea if I'm way off the mark here, but I feel like Del isn't rapping about aliens and super-viruses on 2000's Deltron 3030 if El-P wasn't rapping about robots and outerspace with Company Flow. As far as I can recall, he was the first guy to add science-fiction/WeirdBall motifs to widely-heard hardcore rap, kinda like Wu did with ninjas and Rae did with being a MobBoss.Second, he's both literate and understandable. I don't have Fantastic Damage or Funcrusher on my iPod at the moment, but there are at least two tracks from I'll Sleep When You're Dead that seem perfect for this project, presented below in the descending order of my opinion of their value:"Dear Sirs"Dear Sirs:If the pavement comes alive on Flatbush Ave with toothy smilesComprised of traffic cones and manholes become eyesAnd birds burst into flames while singing Satan's praisesAnd fold into the sky and rain down ashy dangerIf every office empties and all slaves walk in dazesTo a pool of liquid money where they bathe blissfully nakedAnd drugs no longer taunt me and flooze around my conscienceAnd every woman-beating rapist is securely in their coffinsIf every open hydrant in a Brooklyn time summer momentIs opened up by cops and folds out into an oceanAnd rent is paid by bread literally and parking isn't paid forAnd food stamps can be planted and childhoods can't be damagedIf fire could power space ships that safely ship the creatorsOf dynamite and gun powder to the graves of all who faced itAnd the slurping nerf of bureaucrat life and bean counting slave ownersIs twisted in on itself 'til they shave off their own facesIf all the coke and crack in the nation is collected in a top hatAnd force fed to the children of every CIA agentAnd dust heads get an angel and an acres worth of rainbowAnd the projects turn to clouds and the stupid aren't so proudAnd the sniveling grimace mongrels of infected money-slobbing pesticrats ignite into a brilliant beam of lightAnd mercy is the rule and the exception's mercy tooAnd the desert comes to Brooklyn and the President goes to schoolTime flows in reverse, death becomes my birthMe fighting in your war is still, by a large marginThe least likely thing that will ever ****ing happen, everGood imagery and metaphor. Good use of language. Good reveal at the end. "Flyentology"I know I haven't been walking a humble pathI know I cursed at your name and then laughedAnd though I found it inane to bend calfThe servitude of groveling framed as pained taskI gotta figure, it can't hurt to askSuspension of disbelief in uniquely freak flashAdmission of the faithfully shaken, now trapped30 thousand and dropping it's on and popping at lastI adore youThe same way that others always adored you"Emergency humility: Just break glass"I imploreWith no knowledge of dogma to conform toI know I don't deserve it, but save my assAnd if I'm going down, let me do it in first classThe paganistic prayer of a heathen with wild pastPlease forgive my bastardized style dashAnd anoint me with salvation in form of non-crashI wanna live so badAll my life, I've been so arrogantThis is the vessel of my 'wakeningPlease father, put your hand outCarry it[/color]I wanna live so badAll my life, I've been so arrogantThis is the vessel of my wakeningGod Dammit, put your hand outCarry it(There are no atheists in the foxholes)(There is no intellect in the air)(There are no scientists on the way down)(Just a working example of faith versus physics)I just included the last Reznor chorus, and changed a few formatting things. Specifically, the line:"'Emergency humility: Just break glass'" is written as "Emergency, Humility/Just break glass" everywhere I've seen it, but that doesn't really capture the sentiment, so I put it in quotes (as if it's written on a "Break Glass for Fire Extinguisher" thingie), removed the comma, and added a colon.Anyway, I think both of these would be really good. El-P's a smart and funny guy, and he's got a pretty clear writing style with metaphors that aren't too convoluted.
First, he is arguably the forefather of WeirdRap. I know this isn't a real genre, and I have no idea if I'm way off the mark here, but I feel like Del isn't rapping about aliens and super-viruses on 2000's Deltron 3030 if El-P wasn't rapping about robots and outerspace with Company Flow. As far as I can recall, he was the first guy to add science-fiction/WeirdBall motifs to widely-heard hardcore rap, kinda like Wu did with ninjas and Rae did with being a MobBoss.
I wonder if one could trace this lineage back at least one step further to Canibus.
Who, McCoy Tyner? It doesn't ring a bell, unless it's also known by some other title maybe. You got a year?
I guess it's this http://tinyurl.com/ycy9c27. I was kinda under the impression that it was a series of disks of the whole festival with various artists when I heard the wbgo dj talk about it.

I saw Neko Case last night at the Beacon theater. Pretty fun show. Her songs, for the most part, are short, fast moving, and catchy. It was easy to be entertained the whole time. And she has a good stage presence, with plenty of banter and odd jokes.

Edan's new album, Echo Party. It's instrumental, and here's a description, because it's quite a bit different than his other albums. Oh, and it's great. It's one 30-minute track. I'm also listening to his Fast Rap which I hadn't heard before, and which is pretty rocking.

Edan was given access to the Traffic Ent. Group's back catalog of old school rap - labels like Magic Records, Chocolate Star, P&P among others - and asked to create something new out of it, whatever he wanted. What began as a simple mixtape, two years later turned into a 30-min record of dance, rap and punk, utilizing everything from turntables, tape echo, guitar, moog and maybe even kazoos.