what music are you guys listening to?

I am not a huge fan of pop music but Kelly Clarkson is talented and there are a few of her songs that I feel warrant respect. I love her song Walk Away... her voice is bluesy, deep, soulful and strong.A couple of months ago I discovered a radio show on Sunday mornings that plays what is called Alternative Country. Country music rarely resonates with me, most songs seem like drunken Hallmark cards. But I must say, I am impressed with this genre and especially Ryan Adams and the Cardinals.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

Lemme try this again but with a much better band. Quick, best Yo Le Tengo album................I'm currently in love with I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One.

Lemme try this again but with a much better band. Quick, best Yo Le Tengo album................
the one you saidpainful! is 2nd to these ears
i just hate that show so damn much. i'm willing to hyperbolize.
lol
But I must say, I am impressed with this genre and especially Ryan Adams and the Cardinals.
anyone else as amused as i am by ryan adams' recent comments that he's now done with music because he married mandy moore? prediction: marriage lasts < 6 months, and he releases 3 more albums by the end of the year.
anyone else as amused as i am by ryan adams' recent comments that he's now done with music because he married mandy moore? prediction: marriage lasts < 6 months, and he releases 3 more albums by the end of the year.
Yeah, I think this pretty much translates to "I'm too busy having sex with my hot girlfriend to write music. Even if I wasn't busy, I'm too happy about having sex with my hot girlfriend to write the kind of music I write."

ssssssshuffley.Losing My Touch - Rolling StonesDrifting Apart - Alien Ant FarmMind - Talking HeadsNo Mercy - Immortal TechniqueTrack #1 - Hail SocialI Still See You - Scott WalkerLove Is Hell - Ryan AdamsGangsta Shit - OutKastIt's So Easy - Guns 'n' RosesLucky You - DeftonesThe Union - Taking Back SundayDevil's Elbow - TarkioHard Knock Life - Jay-ZSatisfaction - Rolling StonesIt Hasn't Happened Yet - William ShatnerLyrics To Go - A Tribe Called QuestSoftly, As I Leave You - Frank SinatraTongue - Jeff BuckleySomebody - KRS-OneLast Call - Elliott SmithGo Away - EisleyIndefinitely - TravisMargaret on the Guillotine - MorrisseyBlues From Down Here - TV On The RadioGood Riddance - Green DayBittersweet Symphony - The VerveKnow Your Enemy - Rage Against The Machine

I had a pretty dominant weekend, all around. Yesterday, an exgirlfriend I hung out with on Saturday night, and then told point-blank "I will not be calling you tomorrow or the next day or anything like that," (I wasn't being mean), sent me an email."Will you pleeeeeeease make me a mix for my iPod?" That makes me: the winnerI put this together in about 10 minutes this morning. I am not sure how dominant it is, but I am pretty sure it is entirely homosexual:1) M83- Birds/Unrecorded (Many of my mixes get this intro. It's one of my go-to moves.)2) Bon Iver - Blood Bank3) Animal Collective - My Girls (I think putting Animal Collective on a CD for a girl is pretty dominant)4) Spoon - The Way We Get By (utterly standard)5) Beyonce - Single Ladies [Put a Ring on It] (Nobody say a ****ing word this song is top 100 all time, probably)6) Lily Allen - Smile7) Four Tet - As Serious as Your Life (Thusly begins the "I am feeling dominant today" stretch of the mix)8) Ghostface - Shakey Dog (Dominance #2)9) Wavves - Beach Demon (PUUUUUUUUUUNK) (Also Dominance #3, and end Dominance)10) No Age - Here Should Be My Home (puuuuuuuuuuunk)11) Cut Copy - Out There on the Ice12) Flaming Lips - Fight Test13) Fleet Foxes - Blue Ridge Mountains14) The Knife - Heartbeats (I kinda used this song to make her let me doink her)15) The Pains of Being Pure at Heart- Young Adult Friction16) Sufjan Stevens - Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother 17) Plants and Animals - Mercy (This album didn't get much play for me until late, late December 2008, or it would have made my top 10 albums of 2008. This song in particular is great for outside sunglassed strut-walks. I definitely pulled that particular maneuver this morning.)Including a noise-punky Wavves song was an interesting choice, but you gotta make sure they don't fall asleep during the thing. Wang

Dag - RighteousCodeine - The White BirchRy Cooder - Chicken Skin MusicPat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls

Including a noise-punky Wavves song was an interesting choice, but you gotta make sure they don't fall asleep during the thing.
Seriously download some stuff by Blank Dogs as soon as possible. Also check out Thomas Function, Terrible Twos, Eat Skull and Los Llamarada if you like Wavves at all.

I've been listening to a ton of Alice in Chains ever since a friend and I sang "Would?" drunk at some kareoke bar the other night- Layne staley was the man

new mos def out june 9, so far all signs point to awesome
I saw him back in December, and he did some new stuff that sounded pretty great.That being said, I'll believe it when I see it. If this gets pushed back one more time,it's going to be the new Detox. I mean.. since Detox is finally going to come out this year....Right?

If you like The Knife, make sure to listen to the self-titled album by Fever Ray (the chick from The Knife). It's basically Silent Shout but darker.

Shuffle:Sufjan Stevens- "Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head!"Built to Spill- "Fling"Autechre- "Goz Quarter"UGK- "International Players Anthem"Department of Eagles- "Classical Records"Radiohead- "Backdrifts"Eric B. & Rakim- "Extended Beat"Nick Drake- "From the Morning"Girl Talk- "Shut the Club Down"The Rolling Stones- "The Last Time"Radiohead- "Exit Music (For a Film)"Beastie Boys- Alright Hear ThisBelle and Sebastian- "To Be Myself Completely"Stephen Malkmus- "I've Hardly Been"Tom Waits- "Diamonds and Gold"Mos Def- "Habitat"Nirvana- "Rape Me"Panda Bear- "Ponytail"Bjork- "Alarm Call"Jaimie Lidell- "Little Bit of Feel Good"

i'm going to make a mix and i want it to good cover songs. can everyone kindly contribute their favourite cover? it has to be available as a good quality MP3, so no audience recordings of the grateful dead doing bob dylan or something.I'll go first:Stevie Ray Vaughn - Little Wing

ATTENTION MUSIC SNOBS:I got a 'random act of kindness' on Waffles giving me free leech for a day. Since I am on a timecrunch I want help with what to download. I like most kinds of music (I know that is annoying) which exceptions being country, heavy metal type stuff, electronic/dance/house/whatever they call it now. So, I want suggestions for jazz, indie, easy listening, rock. Clues: right now I like Andrew Bird, the new Royksopp stuff, swing music (Fats Waller etc). I always love Ella Fitzgerald, Elliott Smith, Fleet Foxes, Louis Armstrong, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Simon & Garfunkel, and opera.Also, if anyone can see the top 10 and wants to tell me what I would get some upload ratio from that would be helpful as I squandered lots of my ratio dling bel canto operas. Help me prease.

ATTENTION MUSIC SNOBS:I got a 'random act of kindness' on Waffles giving me free leech for a day. Since I am on a timecrunch I want help with what to download. I like most kinds of music (I know that is annoying) which exceptions being country, heavy metal type stuff, electronic/dance/house/whatever they call it now. So, I want suggestions for jazz, indie, easy listening, rock. Clues: right now I like Andrew Bird, the new Royksopp stuff, swing music (Fats Waller etc). I always love Ella Fitzgerald, Elliott Smith, Fleet Foxes, Louis Armstrong, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Simon & Garfunkel, and opera.Also, if anyone can see the top 10 and wants to tell me what I would get some upload ratio from that would be helpful as I squandered lots of my ratio dling bel canto operas. Help me prease.
i just grabbed a bunch of jeff buckley, if you don't have that already, and the ray lamontagne collection, but i havent listened to that yet.
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Little Wing
Based on your first pick, I'm guessing you'd prefer songs that are somewhat recognizable to the general American population. Here's a few:Sonic Youth - Superstar (Carpenters)Flaming Lips - What A Wonderful World (traditional? Louis Armstrong? idk)Camper Van Beethoven - Pictures of Matchstick Men (Status Quo)Jane's Addiction - Jane Says (Velvet Underground)
Based on your first pick, I'm guessing you'd prefer songs that are somewhat recognizable to the general American population. Here's a few:Sonic Youth - Superstar (Carpenters)Flaming Lips - What A Wonderful World (traditional? Louis Armstrong? idk)Camper Van Beethoven - Pictures of Matchstick Men (Status Quo)Jane's Addiction - Jane Says (Velvet Underground)
I'll check those out, but I'm pretty sure Jane Says isn't a cover. And they don't have to be recognizable really, just good tunes. I like that you included the original artists, I'll have to compare.
I'll check those out, but I'm pretty sure Jane Says isn't a cover. And they don't have to be recognizable really, just good tunes. I like that you included the original artists, I'll have to compare.
Wowza, how embarrassing.Here's where my mind got all jumbled up, not that it matters. On VU's album Loaded, Sweet Jane is the song right before Rock & Roll. Rock & Roll is the VU cover I was thinking of. See, I had Jane on the brain.......meh, no excuse for dopiness. Jane's Addiction does an incredible cover of R&R which morphs into the best cover of Sympathy by the Stones ever done. It's live so I guess it doesn't really qualify. If you're going to let some live recordings squeak in, The Doors do a wicked cover of Gloria (Van Morrison?).