• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

i think that was just for one show in LA
are you sure? i thought i heard something about Chris Cornell going out and doing another solo project while RATM were playing together. but i could be wrong.

I'm in kind of a weird mood today, so I figured I'd go with it, and all I'm doing is listening to math rock. Nothing but math rock. All day.Math Rock.I started by listening to Slint's Spiderland, the paragon of math rock. A friend reccomended the new/first Battles EP Mirrored, so I've been "jamming" to that, too. I listened to some Tortoise, too, but I don't know if that really counts as math rock, or just jazz-influenced post-rock.Whatever, anybody who doesn't listen to Math Rock is just a fucking pussy. Since Dutch is always in here trolling around to fill the empty void where his soul should be with music, I'm going to suggest he broaden his horizens a little and listen to Mirrored and Spiderland. I was never a huge Spiderland fan, but I'm in the minority. Wang

I'm in kind of a weird mood today, so I figured I'd go with it, and all I'm doing is listening to math rock. Nothing but math rock. All day.Math Rock.I started by listening to Slint's Spiderland, the paragon of math rock. A friend reccomended the new/first Battles EP Mirrored, so I've been "jamming" to that, too. I listened to some Tortoise, too, but I don't know if that really counts as math rock, or just jazz-influenced post-rock.Whatever, anybody who doesn't listen to Math Rock is just a fucking pussy. Since Dutch is always in here trolling around to fill the empty void where his soul should be with music, I'm going to suggest he broaden his horizens a little and listen to Mirrored and Spiderland. I was never a huge Spiderland fan, but I'm in the minority. Wang
Beaten to it (I went to Pitchfork a week ago and loaded un on some stuff. I felt dirty, but it works). It's cool; not my favorite.

lately:lil wayne- drought 3wilco- yhfmos def- black on both sidesandrew bird- mysterious production of eggsanimal collective (i need to get panda bears album)bowie-rise and fall of ziggy stardustdee dee warwickecho + the bunnymen- ocean rainmobb deep- infamousof montrealwhen i dont know what to listen to, i just put on "hey" by the pixies, such a strangely great song.cd i rediscovered my love for this week:the avalanches- since i left youjust great construction of an album

The Chariot- Fiancee(I might have spelled that wrong)Minor Threat - DiscographyModern Life Is War - random songs, no particular albumand my band is currently recording an ep. I'd link our myspace page on here, but you guys would probably just make fun of me. It's real sugary rediculously catchy powerpop music. Not to mention the songs on our page are terrible. We'll have good recordings soon though(finishing up this weekend) and if you want to listen I can send you the link.

I am currently enchanted by Squeeze's greatest hits. Up The Junction is an incredible song. Pulling Muscles From A Shell is also a classic. Great underappreciated stuff.*L*T*

I am currently enchanted by Squeeze's greatest hits. Up The Junction is an incredible song. Pulling Muscles From A Shell is also a classic. Great underappreciated stuff.*L*T*
I went to a show this weekend (Ben Gibbard of Death Cab For Cutie/Postal Service fame), and Ben Gibbard covered Up The Junction.

The master has become the student. Dutch told me to listen to The National's new album Boxer, and it's quite good. I'm trying to think of a good comparison, because I'm unoriginal in the sense that, until I become intimately familiar with a band, I can only relate to them in the context of another. Interpol comes to mind, but in a weird, weird way. The lead-off track from the new disc- "Fake Empire"- is one of the better tracks I've heard this year.Wang

The master has become the student. Dutch told me to listen to The National's new album Boxer, and it's quite good. I'm trying to think of a good comparison, because I'm unoriginal in the sense that, until I become intimately familiar with a band, I can only relate to them in the context of another. Interpol comes to mind, but in a weird, weird way. The lead-off track from the new disc- "Fake Empire"- is one of the better tracks I've heard this year.Wang
i think this means that pitchforks front page is actually the master.
You vanished last night before I could make that clunky comparison.For some reason I remain hesitant to (openly) embrace Pitchfork. I haven’t had better than 20% success with the Listen-to-Pitchfork method, but it’s better than nothing.Anyway, this is the one time in one-hundred you’d be wrong, Don, and I only mention this because I feel like I should be ashamed to take my cues from them. I caught them opening for Arcade Fire, and dug the show.
You vanished last night before I could make that clunky comparison.For some reason I remain hesitant to (openly) embrace Pitchfork. I haven’t had better than 20% success with the Listen-to-Pitchfork method, but it’s better than nothing.Anyway, this is the one time in one-hundred you’d be wrong, Don, and I only mention this because I feel like I should be ashamed to take my cues from them. I caught them opening for Arcade Fire, and dug the show.
oh, sweet. i only said that because that band was all over pitchfork when i checked it earlier. i dont think you should be ashamed of taking cues from them though, they have introduced me to some good stuff. but they can be hit or miss. anyway i downloaded that slint album that wang mentioned a page or so ago and that **** is weird. everything the band is doing is awesome but sometimes i just can stand the off key yelling of the "singer." but it does have a cool kinda depressing, creepy feeling to the whole thing.
oh, sweet. i only said that because that band was all over pitchfork when i checked it earlier. i dont think you should be ashamed of taking cues from them though, they have introduced me to some good stuff. but they can be hit or miss. anyway i downloaded that slint album that wang mentioned a page or so ago and that **** is weird. everything the band is doing is awesome but sometimes i just can stand the off key yelling of the "singer." but it does have a cool kinda depressing, creepy feeling to the whole thing.
Yeah, it's pretty fucked up. If you like some of the crazy off-beat sounding stuff they do, download Battles- Mirrored. It's a little less weird, and alot more accessible, but still all math-rocky. Wang

Deliverer Of Evil - Immolation

Yeah, it's pretty fucked up. If you like some of the crazy off-beat sounding stuff they do, download Battles- Mirrored. It's a little less weird, and alot more accessible, but still all math-rocky. Wang
When you say math rock, what do you mean? Are they, like, taking derivatives or something in the lyrics?
When you say math rock, what do you mean? Are they, like, taking derivatives or something in the lyrics?
I don't even know. It's hard to explain. It's like obscenity; you know it when you hear it. Basically, it's a loose term that's used to describe bands who intentionally use weird and dynamic time signatures. It's often strangely cacophonous, too, if that makes any sense. Also, your question is very nerdy.