• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

I finally got around to putting it some time on Animal Collective. In fact, I've been listening to them pretty non-stop. Also keeping with the theme of "Albums That are Old-News to You, and Have Been for Years," I'm listening to Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah, which I find to be completely awesome. That said, I'm out of new stuff, more or less, and as you guys are my sole link to the music "scene," I'm ready for another volley.

I finally got around to putting it some time on Animal Collective. In fact, I've been listening to them pretty non-stop. Also keeping with the theme of "Albums That are Old-News to You, and Have Been for Years," I'm listening to Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah, which I find to be completely awesome. That said, I'm out of new stuff, more or less, and as you guys are my sole link to the music "scene," I'm ready for another volley.
How about giving The Dismemberment Plan a try? They started off as a DC style punk band with "!" and "...Is Terrified," and then released "Emergency & I," which most people agree is their masterpiece. When I first heard it, I listened to it nonstop. Their next and final album "Change" is even more different and grownup, but still really good.I'd start with "Emergency & I" and go from there.Wang
I can't listen to Bjork. It's just so much noise to me, at least at this point. Without sarcasm intended in the question, can someone try to explain to me why I'm wrong, and, because I'm a poser who can normally make himself like weird stuff with enough effort (it worked with Kid A), maybe recommend an album path to get me up to Bjork-speed?
Well, I think Bjork's amazing, and a lot of people do, but I can understand why people, even after putting the effort in, wouldn't like her (as compared to something like Radiohead where I believe anyone can love them given enough time and listens). Her best two albums are Post and Homogenic, and I'm not sure which one would be best for someone attempting to get into Bjork.Her music is very layered and subtle at times, and when listening to it you sort of have to let go and let her take you wherever she's going. You have to "suspend disbelief" and get past her overall craziness, the uniqueness of her voice, and the strangeness of her music.
How about giving The Dismemberment Plan a try? They started off as a DC style punk band with "!" and "...Is Terrified," and then released "Emergency & I," which most people agree is their masterpiece. When I first heard it, I listened to it nonstop. Their next and final album "Change" is even more different and grownup, but still really good.I'd start with "Emergency & I" and go from there.Wang
They actually played a reunion show the last 2 nights at the Black Cat in DC. Sold out in like 2 minutes."The City" from emergency & I is a freaking awesome track.
They actually played a reunion show the last 2 nights at the Black Cat in DC. Sold out in like 2 minutes."The City" from emergency & I is a freaking awesome track.
It's been on like 90% of the mixes I've made for bitches. When Kelly Clarkson released "Since You've Been Gone," I started putting "The City" and "Since You've Been Gone" back to back, just because I love the parallel "since you've been gone" refrains. Am I the biggest nerd ever? Well, yes.Wang
Been there, and liked it. Didn't love it, but I really liked a couple songs.
Well, I think Bjork's amazing, and a lot of people do, but I can understand why people, even after putting the effort in, wouldn't like her (as compared to something like Radiohead where I believe anyone can love them given enough time and listens). Her best two albums are Post and Homogenic, and I'm not sure which one would be best for someone attempting to get into Bjork.Her music is very layered and subtle at times, and when listening to it you sort of have to let go and let her take you wherever she's going. You have to "suspend disbelief" and get past her overall craziness, the uniqueness of her voice, and the strangeness of her music.
It's probably a fucked-up way of thinking, but I really want to like Bjork. I've always had a heard time with female vocalists as a whole, so it won't be overnight, but I'll put it in the lineup, and here's hoping.

Have you listened to Interpol? There one of those bands that are pretty obvious and well-liked by a wide range of folks, so too often they fail to get reccomended enough by us Indie-Hipsters. Both "Turn on the Bright Lights" and "Antics" are megasweet. I have a feeling you have listened to them, though.

Have you listened to Interpol? There one of those bands that are pretty obvious and well-liked by a wide range of folks, so too often they fail to get reccomended enough by us Indie-Hipsters. Both "Turn on the Bright Lights" and "Antics" are megasweet. I have a feeling you have listened to them, though.
No, I'll check them out.
My brother told me to download the new Panda Bear album, Person Pitch. I think Panda Bear is one of the guys (not sure of his name, and too lazy to look it up) from Animal Collective. Holy crap, it's sweet. It's not really for everyone, but I've been walking around listening to it pretty much nonstop for the last 48 hours. You know what it reminds me of? The Mamas and the Papas + a computer. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I also can't stop listening to the new Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, and Of Montreal Albums. If I had to make a Best Of... list for 2007, it would look something like this:1) Of Montreal- Hissing Fauna, Are you the Destroyer?2) Panda Bear- Person Pitch3) The Arcade Fire- Neon Bible4) Modest Mouse- We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank5) LCD Soundsystem- Sound of SilverI'd like to point out I haven't even heard the LCD Soundsystem disc yet, but am just assuming it rules so hard.WangEDIT- list edited to reflect my change in opinion over last 3 minutes
When I read this post a while ago I downloaded all of those albums. I enjoyed a few things here and there but I want to thank you for turning me on to LCD Soundsystem. I know it was mentioned by a few other people as well. Anyway, not trying to sound like a fanboy or whatever, just wanted to say thanks.

the only albums i'm listening to in 2007 with any regularity are:peter bjorn and john: writer's block (which i'm not even sure is 2007)of montreal: hissing fauna, etc, etcsomeone help me fix this. the arcade fire's new album just makes me want to listen to funeral again which is better and sounds similar.also, wang, "the city" has gotten multiple exes to sleep with me again. so i agree with your sentiment.

Kruder and Dorfmeister - Cafe del Mar - Ibizagrand.Miguel Migs - Chunky House Adventuresmakes me want to snort 3 ecstasy pills and go out with friends.

It's probably a fucked-up way of thinking, but I really want to like Bjork. I've always had a heard time with female vocalists as a whole, so it won't be overnight, but I'll put it in the lineup, and here's hoping.
Her voice definitely takes some getting used to because it's so nuanced and dynamic, but given time I'm certain you'll warm up to it. She's an incredible performer. And the albums are all groundbreaking, production-wise. Debut, Post, and Homogenic are probably the most accessible, but Vespertine is my favorite. The Matmos and Matthew Herbert productions with Bjork's vocals just blow me away.
the only albums i'm listening to in 2007 with any regularity are:peter bjorn and john: writer's block (which i'm not even sure is 2007)of montreal: hissing fauna, etc, etcsomeone help me fix this. the arcade fire's new album just makes me want to listen to funeral again which is better and sounds similar.also, wang, "the city" has gotten multiple exes to sleep with me again. so i agree with your sentiment.
I think I had that problem at first, but mostly because I was just listening to random songs from Neon Bible. It helped me to listen to the album from the beginning, since the first song sets the tone, and the tone is different from Funeral, and pretty important to the disc. I like the album alot, but it took me a good couple of listens. I still like Funeral a lot more, but I think Neon Bible is a pretty worthy follow-up. None of my exgirlfriends have ever appreciated anything that remotely resembles solidly good music, but I've still had good boink-results with "The City." Score.I've been listening to: Menomena- I Am the Fun Blame Monster for the last few days. Somehow I missed this band a few times, and I finally decided I'd heard enough good things that I'd give them a shot. Glad I did. I enjoy it. I'll have more for you guys in a little bit when I finish catching up.Wang
the only albums i'm listening to in 2007 with any regularity are:someone help me fix this. the arcade fire's new album just makes me want to listen to funeral again which is better and sounds similar.
I don't belelieve that this is even a problem. I was lucky enough to ignore Wang's Funeral suggestions for months, 'til I heard Neon Bible, thus going from a 9 1/2 album to a 10 (I really, really like them, in case I haven't been clear). But if you still want to listen to Funeral, listen until you're tired of it. Then, move on. Assuming it's possible to tire of that album.
I don't belelieve that this is even a problem. I was lucky enough to ignore Wang's Funeral suggestions for months, 'til I heard Neon Bible, thus going from a 9 1/2 album to a 10 (I really, really like them, in case I haven't been clear). But if you still want to listen to Funeral, listen until you're tired of it. Then, move on. Assuming it's possible to tire of that album.
I don't know if it is possible to get tired of that album. I got burned out on it once, and put it on a shelf for like 6 weeks, then had the lovely experience of falling in love all over again. I still think Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) is one of the top 3 songs of the past decade, and I'm not exaggerating. By itself, it makes the album at least an 8.0/10. Toss in Neighborhood #2 and #3 (Laika, and Power Out), and the album jumps to a 9.9. And the rest of the album is good, so it makes the pretty easy jump to: 9.999999/10.I said I'd expound on Menomena a little, so I think I will. I'm not totally familiar with "I Am the Fun Blame Monster" yet, but I'm hooked regardless. I've listened to the song "Rose" so much that I can't really get a great handle on the rest of the album, but I think it's fucking awesome. I'm a little behind the times, but I'm looking forward to listening to their more-recent effort "Friend or Foe."The album is original sounding darkish pop music. A lot of the songs start out- I don't know what word to use here- restrained, and avoid alot of the obvious transition crescendoes, so when they do come, they're fucking empowering and cathartic. There are all sorts of different songs on the disc, but most have some cool sounding, looped sounding drums and basslines, and they utilize the space between notes really well, if that makes sense. Plus there are some pretty awesome piano pieces that fill out the sound well. I don't know much about music, really, but some of the time signatures sound kinda weird, too, which is sweet. Anyway, I'd reccomend them to anybody who likes cool, DiffPop. That means you, DirtyDutch. Give "I Am the Fun Blame Monster" a listen, and let everyone know what you think. There's the added bonus of discovering them at, like, the exact same time as me, so you won't feel like you're playing catchup alone.Wang
I still think Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) is one of the top 3 songs of the past decade, and I'm not exaggerating.
I can't really participate in that, as I haven't listened to 75 (I could be WAY off, this is as cold-guess as it gets) albums recorded since 1980, but this is easily my favorite song of my indy phase.
I can't really participate in that, as I haven't listened to 75 (I could be WAY off, this is as cold-guess as it gets) albums recorded since 1980, but this is easily my favorite song of my indy phase.
Mine, too. I think. I usually either like music, or dislike it. I either appreciate it, or don't appreciate it. Rarely do I use words like "beauty" to describe music, but the construction of Tunnels is... celestial. Heart-swelling. Impressive, considering I'm The Grinch.Wang

Oh: More for Dutch.In the same vein as Interpol and The Strokes- bands that kinda crossed over, and became "too big" for most hipsters- I'd also reccomend listening to The White Stripes, if you haven't already. I feel silly even mentioning it, because EVERYONE has heard the White Stripes, but- maybe more than any other band- they'd be right up your alley. Sickly good, unapologetic bluesy guitar rock. Led Zeppelin as a two-piece.It'd be easiest to start with "White Blood Cells," but "De Stijl" and "White Stripes" (these are in reverse chronological order here), are all good. If you haven't listened to them, I can pretty much guarantee you'll like them, especially coming from a guitar-playing background.Wang

I said I'd expound on Menomena a little, so I think I will. I'm not totally familiar with "I Am the Fun Blame Monster" yet, but I'm hooked regardless. I've listened to the song "Rose" so much that I can't really get a great handle on the rest of the album, but I think it's fucking awesome. I'm a little behind the times, but I'm looking forward to listening to their more-recent effort "Friend or Foe."
Their newest album (Friend or Foe) is the only album of theirs that I've heard, but I really like it. I suspect you will too. Go do the work for me and figure out which of their earlier albums I should get. k thanks.
Their newest album (Friend or Foe) is the only album of theirs that I've heard, but I really like it. I suspect you will too. Go do the work for me and figure out which of their earlier albums I should get. k thanks.
From what I understand, there's only the two albums proper, "Friend and Foe" (2007) and "I Am the Fun Blame Monster" (2003, which I recently discovered is an anagram of "The First Menamena Album"). I think they also released some kind of instrumental disc, which I'll probably buy after I listen to "Friend and Foe." Download "I Am the Fun Blame Monster" ASAP; you won't regret it.Wang
Oh: More for Dutch.In the same vein as Interpol and The Strokes- bands that kinda crossed over, and became "too big" for most hipsters- I'd also reccomend listening to The White Stripes, if you haven't already. I feel silly even mentioning it, because EVERYONE has heard the White Stripes, but- maybe more than any other band- they'd be right up your alley. Sickly good, unapologetic bluesy guitar rock. Led Zeppelin as a two-piece.It'd be easiest to start with "White Blood Cells," but "De Stijl" and "White Stripes" (these are in reverse chronological order here), are all good. If you haven't listened to them, I can pretty much guarantee you'll like them, especially coming from a guitar-playing background.Wang
I have an interesting relationship with the band (Yeah, I've heard of them. My band in HS was close to being a WS cover band). On one hand, Jack's chops are agonizingly overrated. On the other hand, I love listening to him play. I Loved De Stijl, but not so much WBC. The self-titled is almost as good, I HATED Elephant, and liked Get Behind Me Satan (though I wish there was a comma in that name). There was an arc; I was way into the blues, and what they were doing was cool, then they got a little cleaner, turning me off, but I do believe that Jack is up to something genius, and is going to make a perfect album in the next 10 years.