• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

Keep in mind, if I tell you I didn't like an album you suggested (any of you), that won't mean anything 'til after a few more listens, which may be months away.
I'm the same way with music. Music takes time to digest, and you have to come about it... organically. But some of my favorite albums are those I didn't really like the first few times around. But I'd randomly hear parts, or suddenly find something interesting, and then I'd have an entry point, and my appreciation would spawn from there. The first time I listened to a Wilco record (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), I didn't get all the hoopla, but their songs would randomly come when I had Windows Media Player on shuffle. Sometimes I'd skip them, but from time to time I'd be zoned in on something else (poker), and it would start sinking in. It finally clicked when I heard the song Poor Places- for what was probably the 15th time or so- and I found myself blown away by the piano and some of the lyrics, and- boom- I had my entry point. I played the song like 10 times in a row, amazed that I hadn't heard it like this before. I immediately started playing the album from the beginning, and suddenly had an entirely new perspective, and I found a few more tracks that blew me away. Within a few listens, I'd decided the entire album was beautifully appealing to me for some reason. I've heard the same thing from other people about that record specifically, and I've had similar experiences with many other bands/albums, most notably the Flaming Lips.
Greetings From Michigan is good. Real good.
Any songs that you like in particular?Wang

let's take it back (for the old boys out there):EVA by Jean Jacques PerrySang and Dance - Bar KaysLet's get this party started!

I don't know why, but I'm in a Tool mood all of a sudden.Also, I've never given Radiohead a chance (please don't kill me.) Can anyone give me a few songs (not full albums) to check out?

I don't know why, but I'm in a Tool mood all of a sudden.Also, I've never given Radiohead a chance (please don't kill me.) Can anyone give me a few songs (not full albums) to check out?
I'd wait for Wang to answer, but I'd start with some stuff off The Bends, maybe Bones, and then Karma Police (which is maybe the greatest song ever). I'd really push to go full-on albums, though.
Tough question to answer. Radiohead is best if you start early, and move from there since the evolution of the band is part of the experience.I'll give you a list, a few basic songs from a few albums, and you can do whatever you want with it:From The Bends:The BendsHigh And DryMy Iron LungStreet SpiritFrom OK Computer:AirbagParanoid AndroidKarma PoliceElectioneeringNo SurprisesFrom Kid A:Everything in its Right PlaceKid AThe National AnthemMorning BellMotion Picture SoundtrackThere. That's a small small small small snapshot of the band, and you have no idea how guilty I feel whenever I have to leave a song off that list. The Bends is their sophomore album, and it's pretty standard guitar rock. OK Computer is the beginning of the legend, and is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. They keep their guitar-based sensibilities, put add some expert keyboard/noise/computerized stuff, which doesn't sound right. Basically, they add a little Dark Side of the Moon, but not the same. I dunno, it's tough to explain for me, since I know so little about music, but the production is excellent. Then comes Kid A, where the band reinvents itself with drum machines and electronica and rollicking basslines. Not the answer you were looking for, but that's the best I could do.Wang

As an aside, I like the new LCD Soundsystem Album, Sound of Silver, a whole lot. I liked the first self-titled release quite a bit, but only loved a few songs.That being said, this album is sa-weet! I'm shocked at how... accessible?... it is. I wanna smoke weed right now, really really bad, because I bet LCD Soundsystem on WEED is pretty fucking awesome. Wang

Not the answer you were looking for, but that's the best I could do.Wang
Thanks Wang.Hm. I'm listening to High and Dry right now, and it's definitely not like the music I normally listen to. That being said, it's good, and I'm going to have to sample more.
Thanks Wang.Hm. I'm listening to High and Dry right now, and it's definitely not like the music I normally listen to. That being said, it's good, and I'm going to have to sample more.
High and Dry is about as acousticy as they get. If you're looking for something edge, you want "The Bends" "Electioneering" "Bones" "Myxomatosis" "National Anthem" or "My Iron Lung." Or maybe "Airbag" or "2+2 = 5"Try to rock out to "Electioneering" first, if you want a little more feedback and rocking electric guitar with a great tempo.Wang
Alrighty, Wang. Almost everything is downloading (no go on Yo La Tengo, give how little I looked, given how little I care, given my freakishly long list I've just acquired; Keep it Like a Secret is giving me trouble; and buld something out of nothing won't seed up [i hold out hope for both the latter, though]). Keep in mind, if I tell you I didn't like an album you suggested (any of you), that won't mean anything 'til after a few more listens, which may be months away.
oh man make sure you get keep it like a secret. built to spill rocks my face.
What does every-/anyone think of Sunset Rubdown? A friend just turned me on to Shut Up I'm Dreaming (I'm assuming if I know who they are, everyone else long since tired of them [if you ever liked them at all]). I'm loving it.
I like them, but they are basically the same band as Wolf Parade. So check out their album Apologies to the Queen Mary, it's better than Shut Up I am Dreaming, imo.
Any songs that you like in particular?Wang
All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace! is a good one. Tahquamenon Falls. I really can't find a song I dislike or will skip. I'm on my second spin right now.
I like them, but they are basically the same band as Wolf Parade. So check out their album Apologies to the Queen Mary, it's better than Shut Up I am Dreaming, imo.
I came into this forum to specifically reccomend Wolf Parade's "Apologies to the Queen Mary" to Dutch. I remembered last night that I failed to mention it, and that Dutch would probably think it's pretty ripping sweet.Wang

A man walks down the streetHe says why am I soft in the middle nowWhy am I soft in the middleThe rest of my life is so hardI need a photo-opportunityI want a shot at redemptionDont want to end up a cartoonIn a cartoon graveyardBonedigger bonediggerDogs in the moonlightFar away my well-lit doorMr. beerbelly beerbellyGet these mutts away from meYou know I dont find this stuff amusing anymoreIf youll be my bodyguardI can be your long lost palI can call you bettyAnd betty when you call meYou can call me alA man walks down the streetHe says why am I short of attentionGot a short little span of attentionAnd wo my nights are so longWheres my wife and familyWhat if I die hereWholl be my role-modelNow that my role-model isGone goneHe ducked back down the alleyWith some roly-poly little bat-faced girlAll along alongThere were incidents and accidentsThere were hints and allegationsIf youll be my bodyguardI can be your long lost palI can call you bettyAnd betty when you call meYou can call me alCall me alA man walks down the streetIts a street in a strange worldMaybe its the third worldMaybe its his first time aroundHe doesnt speak the languageHe holds no currencyHe is a foreign manHe is surrounded by the soundThe soundCattle in the marketplaceScatterlings and orphanagesHe looks around, aroundHe sees angels in the architectureSpinning in infinityHe says amen! and hallelujah!If youll be my bodyguardI can be your long lost palI can call you bettyAnd betty when you call meYou can call me alCall me al

What I've heard of BTS is incredible, but I still can't get off TNP.
I'm prety sure this is Built to Spill, which makes me want to listen to them.Perfect From Now On is easily one of my favorite albums.
I'm prety sure this is Built to Spill, which makes me want to listen to them.Perfect From Now On is easily one of my favorite albums.
Yeah, I have that album on as we speak. Modest Mouse is up next (Keep it Like a Secret is have trouble seeding, so I'll come back to it). Not only have I heard of them, but I've heard several of their songs. Fuckin' sellouts.

If anyone's looking for a few good poppy songs that should appeal to anyone, may I suggest "Someone Great" and "All My Friends" from LCD Soundsystem's near-perfect album Sound of Silver? The entire album is brilliant, but these should work as good entry points to the CD. Pretty straightforward, approachable hooks and good drum machine beats.Wang

right now i'm awaiting the new porcupine tree release, fear of a blank planet, due out in about 3 weeks. eager doesn't even begin to describe my anticipation. i honestly can't remember being more excited for anything in my life, at least not music-related. so a couple of the songs have leaked and there are clips of the others, and i'm sorta trying to get by just listening to it a little bit. oh my goooooooooddddddd though. completely amazing music. really in a different league from everything else, even radiohead and tool.

right now i'm awaiting the new porcupine tree release, fear of a blank planet, due out in about 3 weeks. eager doesn't even begin to describe my anticipation. i honestly can't remember being more excited for anything in my life, at least not music-related. so a couple of the songs have leaked and there are clips of the others, and i'm sorta trying to get by just listening to it a little bit. oh my goooooooooddddddd though. completely amazing music. really in a different league from everything else, even radiohead and tool.
ive heard only one good porcupine tree song. fast and impressive technical music does not automatically equal good.