stock market thread

From a different thread that i sillily made:I figure a gambling site would have some stock market junkies, so here's my question. I have a summer job interning at a wealth management firm, and my current task is to research 3 stocks, Ace (ace), Prudential (pru), and Nuestar (NSR). Does anyone have any good places to get info besides yahoo, morningstar, and other obvious places? Maybe some analysts reports or something would be helpful. Also, if anyone informed has an opinion on any of these, please share.thanks,-e

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure a gambling site would have some stock market junkies, so here's my question. I have a summer job interning at a wealth management firm, and my current task is to research 3 stocks, Ace (ace), Prudential (pru), and Nuestar (NSR). Does anyone have any good places to get info besides yahoo, morningstar, and other obvious places? Maybe some analysts reports or something would be helpful. Also, if anyone informed has an opinion on any of these, please share.thanks,-e
For a quick check of rating, PE, Earnings I like thestreet.com's ratings and ratings reports.http://ratings.thestreet.com/tools/basic/ratings.html?s=#NSRhttp://ratings.thestreet.com/tools/basic/ratings.html?s=#PRUhttp://ratings.thestreet.com/tools/basic/ratings.html?s=#ACEFor more in depth stuff, I use a bunch of different reports that I can access through Ameritrade where my stock trading account is. S&P Reports, Vickers Stock Research, Ford Equity Research...Not sure if you'd be able to access those. This is the link to one of them though - let me know if it loads for youhttps://research.ameritrade.com/wwws/common...docTag=G0070K10
For a quick check of rating, PE, Earnings I like thestreet.com's ratings and ratings reports.http://ratings.thestreet.com/tools/basic/ratings.html?s=#NSRhttp://ratings.thestreet.com/tools/basic/ratings.html?s=#PRUhttp://ratings.thestreet.com/tools/basic/ratings.html?s=#ACEFor more in depth stuff, I use a bunch of different reports that I can access through Ameritrade where my stock trading account is. S&P Reports, Vickers Stock Research, Ford Equity Research...Not sure if you'd be able to access those. This is the link to one of them though - let me know if it loads for youhttps://research.ameritrade.com/wwws/common...docTag=G0070K10
bottom link doesn't work, but thanks for the others.
bottom link doesn't work, but thanks for the others.
It should be noted the detailed reports at thestreet.com's are also subscriber based through their site - however I view those through Ameritrade also. I think Yahoo's finance section is very underrated for a free service. If you use the links on the left for a stock profile, you can view their balance sheets, cash flow, insider trading, earnings, analyst expectations, etc. Click on key statistics, what a page! You can see average volume, percentage of shares sold short, outstanding shares, % held by insiders and institutions. There is a vast amount of information on these free pages.
It should be noted the detailed reports at thestreet.com's are also subscriber based through their site - however I view those through Ameritrade also. I think Yahoo's finance section is very underrated for a free service. If you use the links on the left for a stock profile, you can view their balance sheets, cash flow, insider trading, earnings, analyst expectations, etc. Click on key statistics, what a page! You can see average volume, percentage of shares sold short, outstanding shares, % held by insiders and institutions. There is a vast amount of information on these free pages.
Yeah, I've been using yahoo, finance for a while, I think it has more than the free morningstar service. Definitely good stuff.

And if you are interested in or want to do any technical analysis; Stockcharts.com is a must use. They have incredibly slick charts with adjustable metrics, moving averages, etc.

Purchased ~$1000 worth of Garmin near the close today (14 shares GRMN). This is a half position for me, I like buying on dips, and the whole market dipped the last couple hours of today. I tried to get in to Garmin earlier expecting a dip and it just kept going up. I expect tomorrow could start out rough as well for the overall market. If it stabalizes and bounces off lows I will buy another 14 shares to round out a full position.I am buying in the $67-$70/share range and expect this to trade in excess of $80/share by years end. $84 will probably be my target to sell for a 20% gain.

A month ago I posted about how 2007 market was mirroring 1929.Well, it continues.Hedge funds take in half a million in investor money, then use that as collateral to borrow $5 billion, then use the $5 billion to buy high risk investments.Highly leveraged is great if the investments go up. 1% change in price results in 10% return to the investors that put up the $500 million.Problem is when it turns around because those high risk investments drop by 10% or so. Suddenly the full $500 million is gone and then some. Margin calls, positions liquidated. Others that hold investments similar to those being liquidated are forced to revalue, more margin calls, more liquidations....Months ago we talked about how much liquidity there was. Well, we're on the verge of all that liquidity suddenly evaporating in a giant unwinding of the leveraged positions....Merril is trying to liquidate the assets of a couple Bear Sterns hedge funds. Everyone else is absolutely frighten to death of those CDOs coming to market and setting a reduced price. Everyone in the financial markets is trying to figure out how Merril can sell the CDOs in a non-disclosure deal where the price is not released. That way they can all continue to pretend that the value of the CDOs has not dropped inthe face of mass foreclosures, and those foreclosures unable to sell for close to the amount owed on them.Meanwhile, the other hedge funds race to cash out through IPOs. Liqudate their holding by selling into the equity markets. ANYONE that buys Blackstone is just as stupid as people that bought "new economy" tech IPOs back in 2000, then saw 90%+ losses.Our entire financial market is holding on by its finger nails hoping that the results of Merril's auctions of Bear Stearns hedge funds assets are not made public.1929 indead....

From a different thread that i sillily made:I figure a gambling site would have some stock market junkies, so here's my question. I have a summer job interning at a wealth management firm, and my current task is to research 3 stocks, Ace (ace), Prudential (pru), and Nuestar (NSR). Does anyone have any good places to get info besides yahoo, morningstar, and other obvious places? Maybe some analysts reports or something would be helpful. Also, if anyone informed has an opinion on any of these, please share.thanks,-e
So...we're waiting to see your research :club:

eww financial services stocks crashed in the ISEQ today as announcement were made that a large building society was cutting lending by 19% , lost 14% of portfolio :club:

eww financial services stocks crashed in the ISEQ today as announcement were made that a large building society was cutting lending by 19% , lost 14% of portfolio :club:
Ouch, 14%? It sounds like you may have been a little too heavily vested in financial services. Diversify thyself!
Ouch, 14%? It sounds like you may have been a little too heavily vested in financial services. Diversify thyself!
In Ireland it has been quite a dependable sector for the past few years, but with the imminent decline/crash of the property market I prob should try and get rid of some my bank stocks.
In Ireland it has been quite a dependable sector for the past few years, but with the imminent decline/crash of the property market I prob should try and get rid of some my bank stocks.
Dependable sectors are good, but you never want to have all your money (or even close to all) in one area. Too easy to lose it all (or way too much). The standard is no less then 5 positions/industries with no more then 20% in one position/industry.

Bought more shares of Garmin today at 69.50 upping to a full position (30 shares ~$2100 worth).And where's my research Erac!? :club:

Most of the stats below I get from Minyanville.com (a site that I enjoy)Bad week for the stock market mainly due to the problems at the Bear Stearns Hedge Funds and the Sub-Prime market.S&P: Down 2%Russell: Down 1.7%The S&P closed at 1502The 50dMA of the S&P sits at 1506 and some other charts have critical support at 1500 and 1490. The June low is 1489. Needless to say, if the S&P does not hold next week, the market could be in trouble.Best ETF was Oil up 0.3%Worst ETF was the homebuilders again down 4.9%By the way, if you want to see an ETF that is technically breaking down on almost all measures, look at IYR (Dow Jones Real Estate ETF). Commercial real estate is a bigger component of this ETF than the residential side, so the business side is not looking that healthy either.Up Stock of the Week (Lindsay Corp) - Irrigation systems for the Agriculture industry. Been reading some press that Ag companies have been flying under the radar but are starting to pick up interest (e.g. AGU, TRA, POT).Down Stock of the Week (Heely's) - I'm sure that the lawyers are salivating over the opportunities here..Personally, I think that it's time to be more cautious and wait to see if the market can hold next week.

I don't think the market is in any trouble. The "Rising rates" are only moderate rises and we are still ridiculously low historically. Inflation appears under control. Productivity is good. Employment is spectacular. I really think we're still good here. The fed meeting will set the tone for the week. If they are suddenly super worried about future inflation it can make things bad. But if they remain neutral we are going up up up. I don't think the failure of some stupid Bear Sterns hedge fund should've equated to this big a sell off. Monday, we go up, big. On a side note, market was down like what 1.4% today? I only lost .23%. W00t. Beat that market.

Not a good week for the market but I see a bunch of hammer candlestick chart setups today which is usually bullish. A hammer is basically when a stock moves significantly below the opening price but then rebounds above the open. I bought into MVIS today which is a story stock (use your cell phone to give presentations instead of having to carry around a projector) as it had gotten crushed earlier this week but exhibited the hammer setup today. MVIS isn't a perfect hammer since it has a wick at the top of the candle but close enough.

Not a good week for the market but I see a bunch of hammer candlestick chart setups today which is usually bullish. A hammer is basically when a stock moves significantly below the opening price but then rebounds above the open. I bought into MVIS today which is a story stock (use your cell phone to give presentations instead of having to carry around a projector) as it had gotten crushed earlier this week but exhibited the hammer setup today. MVIS isn't a perfect hammer since it has a wick at the top of the candle but close enough.
I talked about MVIS in previous posts...I am a holder of several $5 call options for September and December. Interestingly, the options didn't tank as hard as the stock. We're way below where the stock was but the options have came back to full value, above where I bought it even when the stock price was 4.90. This stock has big potential. Look into ONT as well if you want a fun spec.And my most recent purchase of GRMN rocks, up 5% yesterday and nearly 10% since I purchased not counting todays lower looking open. It looks weak pre market, but I see no news, profit taking I bet.

Hey ya'll,I'm looking for opinions on Tim Hortons (thi). The company only recently went public (year and a half ago) and it's difficult to find a lot of analyst opinions. Revenue growth looks good, as does ROA and ROE, but P/E is a little high and they're earnings have shrunk recently. Thoughts?thanks,e

Hey ya'll,I'm looking for opinions on Tim Hortons (thi). The company only recently went public (year and a half ago) and it's difficult to find a lot of analyst opinions. Revenue growth looks good, as does ROA and ROE, but P/E is a little high and they're earnings have shrunk recently. Thoughts?thanks,e
Just my quick take on the chart - it looks like the stock is rolling over as it has crossed below the 50d MA and you can see the lower high where the stock couldn't breakout to a new high. Restaurant sector is not currently in favor. I'd like to see some strength and buying interest if I were to get involved. However, I tend to avoid the restaurant stocks in general

hey guys I have been watching Jim Crammers Mad Money on TV and I want to get some books for the basics of investing (I already bought Crammers books and am waiting on them in the mail). Thinking about starting to put 5k or so into stocks. Any of you have a good idea for basic books to read on basics rules of investing?I have my degree in Economics so I am not 100% new to this but at the same point I don't want to just throw money away learning things I could have learned for $19.95 :)Thanks in advance.

hey guys I have been watching Jim Crammers Mad Money on TV and I want to get some books for the basics of investing (I already bought Crammers books and am waiting on them in the mail). Thinking about starting to put 5k or so into stocks. Any of you have a good idea for basic books to read on basics rules of investing?I have my degree in Economics so I am not 100% new to this but at the same point I don't want to just throw money away learning things I could have learned for $19.95 :)Thanks in advance.
Books that I liked include:Reminiscences of a Stock OperatorMarket Wizards; Interviews with Top Traders
Wait, you haven't given us your other research yet!
Just my quick take on the chart - it looks like the stock is rolling over as it has crossed below the 50d MA and you can see the lower high where the stock couldn't breakout to a new high. Restaurant sector is not currently in favor. I'd like to see some strength and buying interest if I were to get involved. However, I tend to avoid the restaurant stocks in general
I agree with his chart analysis and his sentiment on avoiding restaurants. They are too jumpy and unpredictable with their ever changing month to month same store sales. Also, prices on many food items are going up as of late so margins are even thinner for restaurants.The stock has had a nice 30%+ run up over the last year and it appears to have topped for now. Looking at the chart it could find support at 29.50 and/or at 29. If it holds that level and bounces it could be in recovery mode, if it blasts past it sell sell sell. For what it's worth however - compared to it's subsector it does look close to the best. http://biz.yahoo.com/p/713conameu.html#thiPE is in line with it's peers, it pays a dividend (albeit a small one), low debt, and it's ROE is very nice (up there with starbucks).
Jim Cramer's latest book, Mad Money...very good. It really does explain the basics and beyond the basics well. I don't take his picks as gold, but he really does set you up for success. Smart guy (and entertaining guy, obv).As far as other basic books or classics, for fundamentals of value investing I'd recommend Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor. It is a little long and dry at times, but it's considered one of the best all time.For technical analysis and short term trading there are tons of books, I found a torrent on demonoid with like 2 gigs of investing books. Pretty sick.I also liked "Stock Market Wizards" It's a little dated - but basically the guy interviews a bunch of good traders about how and why they do what they do. Very valuable book. It shows you there is no one correct way to trade (or even close to it). You can do things 100 different ways and be successful.Oh and welcome to the thread No Neck. We need some more investors in here so stay active as you start to research/pick stocks :club:

Cramer is a Moron.... A pure "greater fool" investor. Go back and look at his recommendations from the 1999-2001. He'd have had you riding the NASDAQ down 80%... Heck, most of his picks ended up going bankrupt. Anyone can call a winner in an up market. This moron can't see a bear market as the grizzly eats his guts.If you want to really know what is going on in the markets right now... read THIS!!!!!http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...index_top+storyWe're on the knife's edge of a total economic melt-down. 1) Some nvestors are trying to get out of hedge funds backed by CDOs. Since those CDOs are illiquid, there are daily stories of hedge funds locking the exit door to give them time to liquidate. If other investors panic by the locking doors, and rush for the exits, game over.2) If hedge funds try to realign their assets by liquidating CDOs, it creates market value for the CDOs that are significantly below book value. This will trigger margin calls on loans, causing more liquidations... game over.3) If bond rating agencies actually do their jobs and re-rate the CDOs, this will also trigger margin calls and investors heading for the exits.... game over.4) If CDO loan processors actually sell the houses they have foreclosed on for less than was owed, this too will trigger revaluations....margin calls, investors heading for the exits... game over.The only thing that had been holding up the stock market was So, it is all a delay game for now. Containment!!!! Put out the fires as they ignite to keep the hole market from exploding.Problem is, the fires keep starting due to the fundamentals of the underlying assets being WAY out-of-whack with price. The whole financial markets are based on houses being wirth appraised value. But they aren't. The recent bubble where prices shot up 60-100% in most areas in as little as 3 years, means that houses are now WAY overvalued, and are crashing hard.Defaults continue to soar, now spreading from sub-prime into AltA, foreclosures mount, inventory of houses for sale skyrockets, processors books get stacked with foreclosed real estate they can't sell, tighter standards cuts potential buyers from the market..Mortgage brokers are dropping like rocks. Home builders are showing huge losses. Banks are taking big losses. Bond investors are taking big losses. One of these fires are going to spread.... game over.

The week that was:Markets were basically flat across the S&P and Russell. S&P continues to hold at a key support level (1490-1500)Best ETF (Oil +2%, duh)Worst ETF (Natural Gas -6%, for once it wasn't the Homebuilders although they came in second worst at -4%)Two up stocks of note are DSTI (Daystar) and HOKU (Hoku Scientific). Despite a Price to Sales ratio of 35 for Hoku and 651! for Daystar, both stocks made nice moves this week. Both companies are involved with the solar industry with their new fangled technologies of which I have no clue as to whether it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Exuberance and gamble are in the air in this sector for sure.Big Loser was Novastar (NFI) - subprime lender which gave back some of its recent gains. If you ever want to understand why setting some type of stop or strategy to sell is important, pull a chart of the past year for this company.