stock market thread

Anyone here interested in trading stocks or the stock market? I'm just starting a venture with my friend who has already been successful and it seems really interesting. Right now I'm on ameritrade, anyone else do this?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trade bonds for a living, so yeah...you could say I'm interested in markets.Indices look like they want to break out. I'm still bearish on the economy, so I'm not loading up on stocks or anything...

Much of the current stock bounce is being attributed to speculation that the Fed is close to pausing on interest rate hikes, but I'd be careful with that. Rates are still historically low, Bernanke is going to want to show he's an inflation hawk (like Greeny was) and come summer, energy prices will be on Neptune once again...

any good books on the subject? i trade a little, but wouldn't mind do more of it and want to get a lot of information.
I took a Personal Investing class while I was going for my Associates, the textbook was fascinating and very informative. I'm sure there's countless books available on investing, not really sure what a good starting point would be. If your local Community College offers an investing class, buy the book. Better yet, take the class.
any good books on the subject? i trade a little, but wouldn't mind do more of it and want to get a lot of information.
Here's what all the "investing" books say:"Buy and hold."Buy one of these books if you want to get a little bit more serious about trading:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073520066...glance&n=283155orhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081440680...glance&n=283155You should be able to invest with a buy and hold mentality but have a much better feel for entry and exit points.
Wall Street Journal.Not trying to be an ass, its a good resourceand Forbes
WSJ is an excellent paper all around. Most professionals consider Barron's to be the most informative mainstream publication on investing.
Wall Street Journal.Not trying to be an ass, its a good resourceand Forbes
WSJ is an excellent paper all around. Most professionals consider Barron's to be the most informative mainstream publication on investing.
Yeah, barrons is good too, but I haven't read it or made any effort to since I graduated. I majored in freakin econ and I haven't followed the market in 3 years. How ridiculous is that?

I don't know much about investing....But Clark Howard says buy index funds and just sit on them, and you can't miss. And keep re-investing.Thoughts?

I don't know much about investing....But Clark Howard says buy index funds and just sit on them, and you can't miss. And keep re-investing.Thoughts?
1. Most mutual funds don't beat the index funds2. Pick a no-load index fund and your transaction costs are minimal3. If you need to liquidate and get your$ quickly, no problem (unlike real estate)4. Frees up your time (vs spending time researching individual stocks)Unless you have an edge, I think that index funds make a lot of sense.

Tomorrow should be a good one for the Bears as Yahoo and Intel are getting crushed after hours and IBM didn't exactly report a stellar quarter. Should be interesting to see if the bulls can regroup... From Fil Zucchi on Minyanville.com"Come tomorrow the market's ability to absorb the current selling wave will tell a lot about this market, IMHO. If Boo cannot mount a comeback on these type of reports "get Shortie" may take on a whole new meaning."From Rev Shark on realmoney.com"We're certainly going to scare out some bulls with this reports and right now it looks like panic."From Cody Willard on realmoney.com"This one's gonna be nasty tomorrow. Yahoo!'s a bigger disappointment relative to expectations than Intel. I don't call either one "ugly," perhaps because I remember "ugly" as huge misses and guide-downs. And no earnings, but lots of losses. That's my standard for ugly.That said, the stocks will be very ugly tomorrow. Lots of bulls and longs will be throwing in the towel, that's for sure."