fessing up to the significant other - updated

I agree with a lot of the advice already given - in the future, tell a chick up front, it's nothing to be ashamed about. You make it more of a big deal when you hide it, and then she finds out and comes to you with it later on. It looks more much suspicious, like you're trying to cover gambling debts (and it doesn't seem like that's the case). I don't know if you can salvage this one, but as far as explaining it goes, I would tell her truthfully (if you're comfortable with it) the limit you play at, your track record, that you set limits for your play, and that it's a hobby that you enjoy, not an addiction.I actually play online poker more than my boyfriend does now (he stopped playing online, but at least he understands that it's a skill game I enjoy, not a total luck-fest or something I'm going to sell a house to support). He started playing real money games before I did - at the time, I was incredulous that the games could be fair, well monitored, etc., but after watching him play a tourney I was a lot more comfortable with it (enough to start playing real money myself, LOL). If you're honest with her and you answer her questions, and she's still going to be a bitch about it, tell her to take a long walk off a short pier.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of the advice already given - in the future, tell a chick up front, it's nothing to be ashamed about. You make it more of a big deal when you hide it, and then she finds out and comes to you with it later on. It looks more much suspicious, like you're trying to cover gambling debts (and it doesn't seem like that's the case).  I don't know if you can salvage this one, but as far as explaining it goes, I would tell her truthfully (if you're comfortable with it) the limit you play at, your track record, that you set limits for your play, and that it's a hobby that you enjoy, not an addiction.I actually play online poker more than my boyfriend does now (he stopped playing online, but at least he understands that it's a skill game I enjoy, not a total luck-fest or something I'm going to sell a house to support). He started playing real money games before I did - at the time, I was incredulous that the games could be fair, well monitored, etc., but after watching him play a tourney I was a lot more comfortable with it (enough to start playing real money myself, LOL).  If you're honest with her and you answer her questions, and she's still going to be a censored about it, tell her to take a long walk off a short pier.
how YOU doin?
You got pwned by a woman.That's weak.
Is this really who I think it is?I can't wait to get you & Miss Idaho in the same thread...
No. This is an alter ego.
BOOOOOOOOO!people shouldn't be allowed to create such screenames.A name like that should be reserved for the real 'D'....

Grrrrrrrrrrr I am not pleased with the choice you have made. Putting aside all the speculation that you have a gambling problem, there is nothing wrong with you playing poker. It's something that is important to you. You are basicly giving up something you love to do becasue she doesn't like it. This relationship is destined to fail. I get sick and tired of guys bitching about their girls never letting them do anything, but so many of you willing put yourselves in these positions. If a woman really cares about you she won't expect you to give up the things that make you happy. IMO you have made the wrong choice and are setting a bad precedent. Not all woman would expect you to give up poker or any other hobby you love, just the selfish ones.

So are you getting the band back together, Miguk?   Or will she not allow that either?  :club:
I'm auditioning for a friend's band in a week or two playing bass.They've released three CDs so far locally. Great group all-in-all.Music is my first love, and comes first for me. If she told me to give up music, then we'd have a major conflict.
On a semi-related note, my girlfriend of one year is bugging the shit out of me.
should I f her for you?After I'm done with her, she'll never complain about you again.
On a semi-related note, my girlfriend of one year is bugging the shit out of me.
should I f her for you?After I'm done with her, she'll never complain about you again.
That's harsh...I don't which of the three involved it's the most harsh on...but it's harsh... :club:
Quit poker. :club:
The answer to all life's problems.
I just heard one of those sex doctors on TV, some girl called up and said she just got Herpes, and asked what she should do, and the doctor said, "Quit poker."The answer was too obvious...just too bad some people are morons and don't listen!
Another absolutely classic reply. Bravo senor Mexico! :-)
I could ask her, but I don't think she wants gonorrhea.
No problem, I have herpes.
No problem, I have herpes.
QUIT POKER! :club::D:D:D
Not that it matters much now, but you only gave us the conclusion of your talk with her, not a summary of what transpired during it.
Here was the convoGuy: I like pokerGirl: No you can't play or I am leavingGuy: Please?Girl: No wayGuy: OK I LOVE YOU BABY. GOD I DONT KNOW WHERE I WOULD BE WITHOUT YOU... :roll:
Not that it matters much now, but you only gave us the conclusion of your talk with her, not a summary of what transpired during it.
Here was the convoGuy: I like pokerGirl: No you can't play or I am leavingGuy: Please?Girl: No wayGuy: OK I LOVE YOU BABY. GOD I DONT KNOW WHERE I WOULD BE WITHOUT YOU... :roll:
Tell Mayor JFarrell hi for me (sw) :roll:
No problem, I have herpes as well.
FYP

Seriously, how did this conversation go? I want to know at what point you went from defending playing a hobby that you enjoy to agreeing that you should quit for the better of the relationship. She better have been naked and you better have been lying.And I will give you advice for next time, since I'm sure that this one can't be a healthy relationship. Ease her into poker, I disagree with all the "show her your stats, buy her stuff" talk. You need to make it look like a hobby, it's simple, you play for fun, same as the guitar. If you leak to her that you are a super dork that has a bunch of posts on an internet forum dedicated to a poker player, that might be a bit overwhelming, we are in the minority of the poker boom, most people don't read and post about poker all the time, they play with their friends while drinking some beers. I say next time you make it seem like you are in the majority and just part of the poker fad for fun shit, then once she's been with you for a long time you don't need to hide, she's already pot committed.

Seriosuly, how did this conversation go?  I want to know at what point you went from defending playing a hobby that you enjoy to agreeing that you should quit for the better of the relationship.  She better have been naked and you better have been lying.And I will give you advice for next time, since I'm sure that this one can't be a healthy relationship.  Ease her into poker, I disagree with all the "show her your stats, buy her stuff" talk.  You need to make it look like a hobby, it's simple, you play for fun, same as the guitar. If you leak to her that you are a super dork that has a bunch of posts on an internet forum dedicated to a poker player, that might be a bit overwhelming, we are in the minority of the poker boom, most people don't read and post about poker all the time, they play with their friends while drinking some beers.  I say next time you make it seem like you are in the majority and just part of the poker fad for fun censored, then once she's been with you for a long time you don't need to hide, she's already pot committed.
well said. and funny. cograts. u have skillz