fessing up to the significant other - updated

i had the same thing with my girlfriend, i just cut back on playing. your life> online poker. i only play an hour a day and tournies on weekends, that was an amicable resolve between us. and buy her sh!t too.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and buy her sh!t too.
well, for me, that's kind of blatantly obvious. i mean, wouldn't she get pissed if you had a 9-5 job, worked overtime on that at times, and she still saw nothing from that?now it's two-fold when you play poker, because suddenly it makes it look like you're bribing her into "being ok with you playing."

show her your pokertracker stats over the past year and explain to her poker works, its not really gambling but like somebody else said, your investing in yourself.of course, I am assuming you are a winning player who makes some descent money. If your stats show -$18,000...well then your screwed.

the investing in yourself line is great. if i wasnt in university and making my booze mobney off the net, im sure shed like it more. and having PT stats to back it works as well, except when they dont understand it :club:

This beotch sounds like a pile of crap.....except that a pile of crap would understand that it is a game of skill and mental combat.
That's assuimg quite a lot.That's assuming that someone's played poker.That's assuming that someone has observed poker play.That's assuming that someone has learned more than just what beats what.To a lot of people, poker's just luck-suck and junk like that.
This beotch sounds like a pile of crap.....except that a pile of crap would understand that it is a game of skill and mental combat.
That's assuimg quite a lot.That's assuming that someone's played poker.That's assuming that someone has observed poker play.That's assuming that someone has learned more than just what beats what.To a lot of people, poker's just luck-suck and junk like that.
My Wife didn't know what beats what and thought it was gambling....I had her sit behind me in a 5-10 game in Vegas 8 years ago....and had her sweat me.....At the end of the night...she asked me: "Why did you raise with nothing on that hand...you got lucky he folded..."I explained to her that an open ended straight flush draw was a very good hand...and I was just pushing my advantage....She then deduced that you can choose to bet your powerful hand...and understood after 20 minutes of sweating me that it was a game of skill.
I don't get it. Why to chicks get their panties in a knot about poker?
...because she is afraid you are spending time and money on poker instead of her. She's a little jealous.

So guys, in all total seriousness, what would be your best advice for explaining, without scaring the girl away?I'd say next time meet unbelivably hot 19 year old college girl on internet poker forum.Much easier.good luck.

Easy fold. Why was it even a secret ?
Don't ask, don't tell.
Saying that you didn't tell her because she didn't ask makes it look like you have something to hide, which will make her even less likely to accept poker. Poker can have a big effect on relationships, and you're much better off clearing the air beforehand to avoid having her find out and wonder why you are hiding it.
Don't ask, don't tell.
Saying that you didn't tell her because she didn't ask makes it look like you have something to hide, which will make her even less likely to accept poker. Poker can have a big effect on relationships, and you're much better off clearing the air beforehand to avoid having her find out and wonder why you are hiding it.
Well for the record, she never said anything to me about what she did. So does that mean she's hiding something from meAnd then, should I be offended about her hiding her occupation from me?

I agree with the previous poster who asked why this was a secret. I don't want to be mean but it sounds like you had this problem with your last girlfriend. You then, thought the best approach was to keep it a secret from this one. Wrong play my friend. If you don't play poker anymore (which I doubt) than just tell this girl that and you'll be fine, I'm sure. If you do still play though, think about what you can do better in the future. Clearly, poker is a part of your life. If you are up front about that in the beginning, you won't have this problem. Most chicks when they first meet a guy they like, tend to believe that just about everything about them is "cute" or "great". You need to get the poker information out there during that period. If you do this, you're not only honest, but she can't really hold this against you later in the relationship. Good luck man. I'm sure it will all work out for the best either way.

Don't ask, don't tell.
Well for the record, she never said anything to me about what she did. So does that mean she's hiding something from meAnd then, should I be offended about her hiding her occupation from me?
It doesn't sound like you two are all that serious if you don't know what each other do for work. In that case, I'm not sure where she gets off being upset about you playing. I don't understand what the big issue is here. Did she say why she thought it was a big deal in the message?

I would just be honest with her. I think a lot of women see poker as a threat...just another thing to take you away from her. Tell her that you really enjoy it & you even make $$ doing it. Tell her you do it for fun...some guys fish or hunt, some play golf, some are into cars, but you play poker! If she doesn't like it and isn't willing to accept it and you aren't willing to give it up, then move on. Don't even pursue the relationship anymore. It will most likely always be a fight if she doesn't want you to play poker. If it doesn't work out, just find someone who plays! There are plenty of gals out there that love to play or watch. GL to ya!

Did she say why she thought it was a big deal in the message?
no, just made mention that she didn't like hearing about this.that's what i'm going to end up finding out in a little bit when we get to sit down for the talk.

Invite her to watch a few of your sessions. During the session explain what is happenning, what you are doing, and why you are doing it. i.e. ("look honey, now i'm betting top pair because it's a good hand and I want ppl to call, which means i want them to match my bet.")The best way to get somebody to accept something is to get her intrigued. I'd give 10-1 that it'd work.

It's probably hopeless.Move on before you get too attached.and next time, tell them up front, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
and then, buy her stuff :wink:
what a sad state the world is in!DOES EVERYONE THINK THE ANSWER TO EVERY SITUATION IN LIFE IS TO BUY SOMEONE OFF?!?!?!?!I'd support your stance...but it'll cost you. :wink: