50,000 h.o.r.s.e. event at 2006 wsop?

Time to meet the new commissioner of the World Series of Poker. Bet you didn't know there was an old commissioner of the World Series of Poker. Or that there was even such a position to begin with.And there wasn't, until now. But Jeffrey Pollack adds that title to his already-crowded business card as Harrah's vice president of sports and entertainment marketing. (He also becomes the second commissioner in the family, since his brother is Gary Bettman, who runs the National Hockey League.)The commissioner bit is not meant to be taken as a seminal event in the poker world. It continues Harrah's positioning of poker as a sport, using a sports term as a nod to the World Series of Poker's being broadcast on the cable network that modestly calls itself the "worldwide leader in sports.''Pollack says his new title covers the same responsibilities as his existing one -- sponsors, tournaments, sites, players, blah, blah, blah. What this "commissioner of the World Series of Poker" stuff does is reiterate that the action's on him.In other words, he's the complaint department.By the way, you can reach the complaint department at this e-mail address: jplt@harrahs.com. Pollack said he got a lot of response when I ran his e-mail address in a previous column, adding that everyone who writes will get an answer from him.And the new commissioner is expected to be busy this week with a couple of announcements. One appears to be a change in the bracelet events at the 2006 World Series to include a mixed-games tournament. The other one likely will be formation of a players advisory council.Pollack refused to comment on the subject of the announcements.It is unknown whether the new event will be a H.O.R.S.E. (Hold 'em, Omaha, Razz, Stud, Omaha/Eight-or-Better) or H.O.E. format. It is also unknown whether the new mixed-games tournament would be in place of an already-scheduled event or in addition to those previously announced.The lack of a mixed-games event rankled many players, pros and amateurs alike, because many believe such a tournament is the measure of the best all-around poker-playing ability, not the no-limit hold 'em played in the main event. It would appear that the commissioner and Harrah's heard those complaints and will respond, even without a formal players advisory council.But the formation of such a group -- which ideally will meet every four, six or eight weeks -- is expected to include a small group of big-name pros who will offer suggestions for making the World Series of Poker and WSOP Circuit events better. Council members also likely will serve as consultants if (or when) Harrah's takes poker in other directions.It is also expected that the council will include some kind of Joe Average Poker Player, who would represent the vox populi of the growing poker world.Pollack did confirm that the 2006 Tournament of Champions will be played during the early stages of this year's World Series, not after it, as had been the case. This means that the competitors will consist of qualifiers in the current WSOP Circuit events and the nine players who reached the final table of the 2005 World Series of Poker main event. Those players were given spots in the recent TOC, and one of them, Mike Matusow, won it.In addition, Harrah's is making it very public very early that it retains the right to seed the field with sponsor exemptions. The owner of the World Series and Tournament of Champions franchises drew criticism at the recent TOC for allowing Pepsi to come in late as the main sponsor and add to the field Doyle Brunson, Johnny Chan and Phil Hellmuth, the three greatest bracelet winners in World Series history.The issue became most acute when the final table became three-handed with Matusow, Hellmuth and Hoyt Corkins. Matusow referred to Corkins' ability to hit some miracle hands by saying, "You should have been broke three times,'' and said of Hellmuth's free-roll, "and he shouldn't have even been here.''So, one might suggest that the 2006 Tournament of Champions would give Matusow another chance to win another $1 million and rag on Hellmuth some moreThought it was and Intersenting story.

You know...this is BS....It looks like these guys want their little "club" to be the only people to play this event....I play all these games...and would like a shot at a entry to a 10k event...but NO..they need to make the buyin 50k with NO sats.Nice goin....Will the bracelet say "Bellagio Bobby's Room Series Champion."?

I think it's crap that their "committee" is only big name pros. There should be at least one average player...not necessarily a random online qualifier, but someone who plays decent limits for a living and is more grounded in the reality of the vast majority of tourney entrants.

Read the article more carefully
1. I like your screen name. I think it's sexy.2. I know this article says they haven't created the committee yet, and it might include an "average joe"...but there is another article on Card Player that actually names the committe, and it is in fact all big name pros.Or were you not talking to me?
The panel will soon add one nonprofessional player.
I stand corrected.