tough fold, live tourny

Ok. Friend of mine has been running a "poker superstars" type tournament since mid december. If you are familiar with the fox show poker superstars, then you understand you play for points..move on in brackets..etc..This is the first bracket...4, 6 person shootouts to accumulate points for round 2. I have so far won the first one, (missed the second but got 3pts being blinded out) and our third one was last night. We have figured you need about 16pts to make round 2, and i was sitting on 13 before last night.So i sit down and only have played with 3 people out of the 6 at the table. The guy to my right was one of the guys i hadn't played with before.second hand into the tournament. Stacks are all relatively even. Im in the cutoff and am dealt 77.Guy to my right limps, and i raise it up 3x the blind. Fold fold Fold, call and the guy to my right calls.3 people to the flop.Flop comes out 7 :D 5 :) 2 :club: So i make my set. Great.They check it around to me. And i bet out a pot sized bet (which was sizable at this point. they both call without even blinking. (flush draw?)turn card comes another low diamond. (shit!)They check it back to me. I bet out a fairly big bet now. Get 1 caller, and the guy to my right makes it 3x my bet to go. I grumble..cant really get a read on him...don't know what he is thinking or doing...so i lay down my set thinking he completed his flush. The other guy calls him...river comes 1 more diamond 10 :D I am sure someone has to have made their flush now...first guy checks...guy to my right pushes all in.other guy folds...the guy to my right shows 10 :D 10 :) WHAT THE ****! I guess he had the balls to push with 4 to a flush out there...and i didn't, but do you think i made the right play laying it down to the reraise on the turn? thats the first time ive put down a set i think...it was a tough fold, but these tournaments are about lasting, and i had a bad feeling i was beat...i wasn't but turns out i would have been on the river...and im sure this donk would have called had i pushed on the turn.Turns out the guy with 10 10 went bust shortly after, as he attempted to bluff just about every hand till he went broke. I finished in third place (bad beat, but ill save it) making 5 pts to put me at 18pts and over the cutoff.

Withhold results if you want good discussion.Personally... I'm a fan of getting it in on the flop, or at least overbetting and/or playing the flop harder. Also, even in tournaments, I'm almost never trying to make a heroic fold of a set. Even if you put the guy on the flush, you're still not drawing that horribly to crack him.

Even if you put the guy on the flush, you're still not drawing that horribly to crack him.
This is a good point. I should have pushed the turn once i was check raised. This would have forced him to have the flush to play...or at least theoretically it should...good point.Although we are dealing with SuperDonk here, who busted out first in both tables so far in this even...What would have happened...is im almost certain he would have made the call...with his 10 10...and the river would have sent me into hellmuth mode, with him hitting his overset, after making a tremendously bad call.Im not sure what best strategy is for these points tournies...you are obviously wanting to win, but more importantly you are wanting to last as long as possible. There were a couple of super donkeys on teh table (the two id never played with) so i was hopig they would battle each other and push me up in points. which they did. they were both chip leaders, super donk 1 pushed super donk 2 all in, super donk 2 called with AK...super donk 1 showed 4/5 off suit...haha...and hit his straight on the river...this was later obviously..but gave me one more rank in points, and all i had to do was sit it out.

I'd imagine the structure for a 6-handed shootout is pretty high-ante.What were the blinds, starting chips, and blind escalation rates? I'd guess not very deep, which is the kind of thing that favors our naturally superior post-flop skills over donks.In a high-ante structure, it shifts your raising ranges a lot. You don't want to raise a lot preflop with easily dominated big broadways, because you can't afford to be dominated. The real key is to find a FLOP to move in on, and play somewhat passively preflop with otherwise solid hands, like AJ/KQ.

It is actually not too bad of a structure.2500 chips with 10/20 starting blinds, going up every 15 minutes. Most of the tournaments last no longer than 2hrs, most finish in 1.5hrs.It can give you some room to move post flop, which i like.

Had I been in your seat, I probably would have called on the turn, looking for the board to pair to pass the full house (or straight) that had been made. I would not have called the all-in on the river. I would not have thought my set was good, necessarily, but I would expect to be drawing live. And I would be just as afraid of the straight draws at this point (especially since the low diamond would make it possible for a low PP to make a straight) as I would the flush draws. I am not convinced that I would have led at that pot on the turn, either (though I probably would have). The no-read issue is a major problem.Blinds going up every 15 mintues is a pretty brisk rate, really, but that's just an opinion.

Check behind on the turn. If you don't think people are drawing more times than not on this flop, you're crazy, and they got there on this turn. Check behind hoping to fill up. Check/fold the river when the fourth diamond hits. The fact he showed a set of 10's means nothing to me.You almost committed yourself to calling the river by betting the turn. This is the second hand of the sit'n'go--you have no need to get crazy.

This is the second hand of the sit'n'go--you have no need to get crazy.
this is what i was thinking. Calling his reraise of the turn would have commited me..so i had to either push here or fold...i chose to fold and wait for a spot i knew i would get him in later.AceyDuecy...you freaked me out a sec..thinking somehow i got the olson sisters as my avatar...Thanks for the advice regardless..im happy with my points totals, and can basically freeroll now, since im at 18pts, till round 2 where i can start making better money.
AceyDuecy...you freaked me out a sec..thinking somehow i got the olson sisters as my avatar...
Olson sisters?! How dare you! Philistine...It's Sarah Alexander, Kate Isitt, and Gina Bellman from the BBC's "Coupling" (the one that was funny, in contrast to the American version).
AceyDuecy...you freaked me out a sec..thinking somehow i got the olson sisters as my avatar...
olsen twins? if there were a third that would just make things worse for humanity.