early stage sng strategy

What does everyone think the proper early tournament strategy is in 5 and 10 person online SNG's? Should you try to accumlate chips early like you would in a MTT or be a little more patient?

What does everyone think the proper early tournament strategy is in 5 and 10 person online SNG's? Should you try to accumlate chips early like you would in a MTT or be a little more patient?
I take it in 5-person, 2 get paid?With 5-person, I play loose passive pre-flop, trying to see lots of cheap flops while the blinds are low, convert to tight agressive after the flop, pick up a few pots to build your chips. Don't get involved with massive pots without the near nuts until you get 3handed, then go agrressive.10-person, i'm patient as until you get to 5 handed. Early on, limit yourself to top 20-odd hands, raise or fold PF with position, as youll lose people real early, adn you dont wanna get involved. when it gets to 5 handed, start playing a normal game, suited connectors from position, trying a few steals.with both, if you have AA or KK PF, or find a monster hand, double up if poss - overbet if you need to, push with your big hands.
10-person, i'm patient as until you get to 5 handed. Early on, limit yourself to top 20-odd hands, raise or fold PF with position, as youll lose people real early, adn you dont wanna get involved.
I limit myself to less than that. AA, KK, AKs, AKo, AQs, AQo, QQ, JJ, 10-10. Maybe AJs.

i think more than anything, in 10 man sit n gos you need to see what the table is like. unlike a MTT your not going to get bumped, so you need to pay attention and get a read. i dont get fancy at all during the opening stages, unless i notcie a total rock garden. when it gets to 4 handed hopefully you'll have a half decent size stack and a good rep that'll allow much more movement

Look for the thread that I made about sng's. It basically deals with Party sng's. But it should help.
  • 2 weeks later...
10-person, i'm patient as until you get to 5 handed. Early on, limit yourself to top 20-odd hands, raise or fold PF with position, as youll lose people real early, adn you dont wanna get involved.
I limit myself to less than that. AA, KK, AKs, AKo, AQs, AQo, QQ, JJ, 10-10. Maybe AJs.
Yeah, but how often do you get these hands? Are you really gonna make it to the final five w/o playing anything other than these? What if they don't come?
Yeah, but how often do you get these hands? Are you really gonna make it to the final five w/o playing anything other than these? What if they don't come?
I play a little differently. The first three levels I play very few hands. I raise AA, KK, QQ and AK before the flop from any position. I'll raise JJ and TT from late position if I'm first in. I'll try to see cheap flops with other pocket pairs and play them for set value. I have a maniacal hatred of AQ and AJ in the first three levels and will throw them away without a thought. In an unraised pot, I will complete in the SB pretty much every time during level one (this is at party) since I'll be getting at least 5 to 1 on a call. Yeah my position sucks, but the odds are just too good most of the time.In the later levels, the size of my stack is the single most important factor. If I'm fairly short, I'll start pushing a lot of hands. If I have a big stack, I'll try to put in some raises to steal from medium stacks. Depending on the texture of the table, I might also try to see some cheap flops with hands that could become big hands.Since I multi-table, I try to autopilot as much as possible.Finally, I cannot recommend SnG Power Tools enough.