best book for 08 limit and pot limit

New convert has read ss2, currently playing low limit at party and sngs. I know I need more info, and was thinking about getting ray zees book on high low poker of o8 and 7stud8 from 2+2. I have a whole heap of 2+2 books, which are all brilliant, but thought I would ask some others who have been around the block a few times what they think.Also, my pot limit knowledge is exactly zero (quite possibly less than zero), so I am wondering if zees book addresses pot limit properly?Any other books worth getting or worth burning?

Zee's book is a classic. You've already read SS2 which is also pretty good, IMO. One other book I have is Capelletti's. I would not advise buying this book yet as much of it is complete cr@p. It IS worth buying though when you have figured out enough about the game to be ready to read it and take issue with it.JacKingOffSuit posted a list of links for PLO8 reading a month or so back. Remember, this is a distinctly different game to Limit O8, but it is where the money is on-line.Good Luck

Does zees book talk about pot limit much? or mainly limit?One would assume I am best to learn limit first, then the PL8 variation?
Limit. There are NO books worth buying on PLO8.Yes, you will lose far less money that way ;-)
  • 2 weeks later...
Zee's book is a classic. You've already read SS2 which is also pretty good, IMO. One other book I have is Capelletti's. I would not advise buying this book yet as much of it is complete cr@p. It IS worth buying though when you have figured out enough about the game to be ready to read it and take issue with it.
Uh oh, I just made a post in the books section about just getting Cappelletti's Omaha-8 book instead of Zee's. And asking for opinions on it, and comparisons to Zee's book and other books on limit O-8. I was going to start reading it... can You elaborate on what's crap in the book? Should I *not* start reading it, and take the time to return it and get Zee's instead?
Zee's book is a classic. You've already read SS2 which is also pretty good, IMO. One other book I have is Capelletti's. I would not advise buying this book yet as much of it is complete cr@p. It IS worth buying though when you have figured out enough about the game to be ready to read it and take issue with it.
Uh oh, I just made a post in the books section about just getting Cappelletti's Omaha-8 book instead of Zee's. And asking for opinions on it, and comparisons to Zee's book and other books on limit O-8. I was going to start reading it... can You elaborate on what's crap in the book? Should I *not* start reading it, and take the time to return it and get Zee's instead?
There are a lot of anecdotes in it about how he played specific hands given to illustrate a point or a certain play. In reality, many of these palys are highly table dependent and so you need to be able to appreciate the different contexts in which you might find yourself (= playing experience) before being able to appropriately appreciate what he is talking about, rather than blindly applying it. As a beginner, it is very useful to have some hard and fast rules that you can follow to gain experience. Zee's book and SS2 provide these. If you "blindly" follow either of these 2, you will probably make money. If you try that with Capaletti, you will lose money.Taking the time to dirve to the store and picking up SS2 (or Zee if you can find it in B&M store) will be a worthwhile investment IMO.Good Luck

The first and the most important thing to know about pot limit games is it's all about position.So I am no expert, so let the expert to tell you then.http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthre...&Number=3754115http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthre...&Number=4520180http://www.bluffmagazine.com/Magazine/2005_09_94.asp (Point #2)Here's some notes I collected, a lot of them are from Smash (he's fcking good when I reread some of his posts that I took note of).- The positional advantage in any pot limit game is huge, simply because the player in position has much, much, much. much more control over pot size than the player out of position. In a game like 08 where you get to make so many clear decisions after the flop, it's massive. - There really aren't any hands that play well after the flop out of position in PLO8. - Most of the raising I do in PLO8 is to buy the button. I play hardly any hands from UTG-MP1 in most ring games unless the games not very aggressive pre-flop and I can get in cheap and get a lot of value if I flop well. - This is why it's such an easy game to win at. Play decent hands, in position, fold when you miss, make money, repeat.- The five most important things in PLO8 are: Position. Position. Position. Position. Starting hands. The five most important things in LO8 are: Starting hands. Starting hands. Starting hands. Starting hands. Position. - You make money in PLO and PLO8 on the later betting rounds. You make money on the later betting rounds by controlling the size of the pot. You controll the size of the pot by being in position.- You should get used to folding the majority of hands on the flop and coming to the understanding that the most imporant thing in PLO or PLO8 is extracting value on later streets with good hands, and in some games picking up pots where everyone misses.- Winning the minimum and losing the maximum isn't how you make money at O8. - I'd rather have 6789 rainbow on the button than AA23 double suited in the BB in PLO8, because I'm probably going to make money with the terrible hand and lose it with the great one.Still, Steve Badger's PLO8 online article is the best after all.You can post a 100 plo8 hands and comment on 1000 plo8 hands and still be a loser if you don't understand the concept of position and the principles of pot-limit games.