kovalchuk and crosby

After last night's game where Kovalchuk scored that goal and pointed at Crosby, I thought it was absolutely awesome. I'm not a huge fan of Crosby, but I love Kovalchuk just for trying to stir up shit. He just got underneath Crosby's skin and made it work.Then tonight, Crosby got 4 penalty's!! Seriously, how silly can a guy be? One for diving, and another unsportsmanlike after that. They lost again to the Thrashers on a game winner by Savard. Kovalchuk got 2 goals as well, I think we know who won this battle. Ovechkin better win ROY, because Crosby surely does not deserve it.

the ONLY way AO will beat crosby for the calder is if he finishes 15 points up on him, minimum. lets get serious here, crosby is the NHL's poster child, and i dont mean that figuratively. i have seen 4 different commercials starring him for 3 different companies, and thats out here in bumfuck, saskatchewan, so i dont even want to know in big cities like Toronto or something. how many has AO been in? crosby is the "future of hockey" for the nhl bigwigs, they have to give him the calder.

I'm going to be a bit biased here bein a diehard pens fan. But Crosby isn't the whiner he comes across as being to people who do not watch all of his games. Nor is he a diver (I have seen him embelish some calls but who doesn't, this is hardly diving) But he is being hugely ganged up on by the antagonists of the NHL just because he made it known he will react. He gets as many facewashs' and sticksto theface amognst other things as any player in the league, just because veterans make it a priority to show him that he's in the big leagues now. So they inevevitably pick on him. And this has only gotten worse since he's performed so well. Veterans take exception to some 18 year old walking in and getting twice the recognition they've had their entire career. So jealousy also fules this assualt on him I feel. All in all though I think he is getting the wrong image from alot of hockey fans just cos he gets picked on to the point where any human being with a spine would fight back, then when he does they all go, see he's a big whiner. Just my 2 cents on the situation being a watcher of every single penguins game there is.Fryer, That stick figure animation of yours is absolutely awesome man, If you made that, well done man.

If you watched that game last night, you'd know that a) the dive call was absolutely horrible, and B) the unsportsmanlike that followed only occurred because after Crosby quietly went to the box and sat down, the referee stared him down, just waiting... and eventually, Crosby gave him what he wanted. I think Bob Errey is a brutal color guy, but he was right... Auger should be embarrassed by his actions.

And now here you are trying to stir up shit.Personally, I loved the rivalry, both games turned out to be really good, even with some questionable officiating.The notion that Crosby should not win because of 1 bad game (in which he had 2 assists) is ridiculous. The truth is he'll have to finish up at least 15 points on AO just for the doubters to admit he earned it.

i dont have the good fortune of living in canada and seeing hockey galore, but here is why ovechkin desereves the rookie of the year as of today. He has more goals and i believe still has more points than crosby. also, he is doing it by himself. I think he has accounted for 30% of his teams goals, but i dont have the exact percentage. ovechkin is playin with an ahl team, crosby is surrounded my at least some talent, although you wouldnt know it. I am fortunate to have season tickets to the St. Louis games and did get to see crosby. And i respect his game. Hes got loads of talent and he will be a superstar, but to this point i think ovechkin as been the better player

i think ovechkin, at this point, is the better choice for rookie of the year.he arguably plays a more complete game than crosby. also, while they have the same amount of points, ovechkin has done it with no help, and crosby has had some excellent linemates. not sure if lundqvist qualifies (dont think so) but if so, he is an easy choice.more importantly, i think kovalchuk deserves a suspension for what he did. its well and good to mix it up with crosby. if he had a dirty hit here or there, that's fine, since it is up to a Penguin to stand up for Crosby. The fact that no one stood up for Crosby is the most damning evidence I've seen that he should not wear the A, and has not earned his teammates respect.And pointing at Crosby while he was coming out of the box was one of the most classless and disgusting plays I have ever seen. It was absolutely despicable and does not belong in this league. I am amazed he did not receive a 10-minute misconduct.fwiw, i did not see the game, so if i am missing something, feel free to correct me.

And pointing at Crosby while he was coming out of the box was one of the most classless and disgusting plays I have ever seen. It was absolutely despicable and does not belong in this league. I am amazed he did not receive a 10-minute misconduct.
quite possibly the biggest jopke i've ever read on this site... and i sift through kowboykoop and jack24bauer24 posts all the time. have you watched hockey? have you been to a hockey game? have you ever played competetive hockey? i'd guess the answer to all these is "No."its trash talk. its making fun of someone else's mistake. its EXACTLY what belongs in the league, and is EXACTLY what hockey is about. what would he get a 10-minute misconduct for, "being mean"? now if he went over to sidney and spit on him or something like that, then sure slap an unsportsmanlike on him, but for pointing at him after they have had a game-long battle, saying "look what your mistake did, you whiny baby", you think he should get a penalty for it? that's ridiculously retarded.
And pointing at Crosby while he was coming out of the box was one of the most classless and disgusting plays I have ever seen. It was absolutely despicable and does not belong in this league. I am amazed he did not receive a 10-minute misconduct.
quite possibly the biggest jopke i've ever read on this site... and i sift through kowboykoop and jack24bauer24 posts all the time. have you watched hockey? have you been to a hockey game? have you ever played competetive hockey? i'd guess the answer to all these is "No."its trash talk. its making fun of someone else's mistake. its EXACTLY what belongs in the league, and is EXACTLY what hockey is about. what would he get a 10-minute misconduct for, "being mean"? now if he went over to sidney and spit on him or something like that, then sure slap an unsportsmanlike on him, but for pointing at him after they have had a game-long battle, saying "look what your mistake did, you whiny baby", you think he should get a penalty for it? that's ridiculously retarded.
sorry, but you're wrong. you seem to speak with some passion, so i assume you are canadian. i am also, and am a huge hockey fan. i have both played and watched hockey for 15 years.what kovalchuk did was trash-hockey, not NHL hockey. that is XFL, americanized crap.he wasn't being mean, he was gloating. if two guys want to punch each other in the face for their teams and for pride, that's great, and that is certainly more "mean" that a simple point.but pointing at him after you score is disrespectful. trash-talking is an unncessary part of hockey. hockey is a game of mutual respect and pride. unfortunately, the influx of European-mentality without respect, French-Canadian mentality without pride and others have taken this out of hockey.but in hockey, you want to win, but you do so while respecting your opponent. as my father always said, you should be happy you won, not happy that your opponent lost. kovalchuk should be happy that he helped his team. crosby knows he hurt his team, and a canadian-type player would've realized that and not felt the need to gloat.i tried to use the racial terms non-insultingly. i don't think every european player does not play respectfully, nor french canadians without pride. there are plenty of canadians who play without respect (cough cough darcy) and without pride. i think those stereotypes will help people understand what i mean, since i found it hard to explain.daniel

Why are we bringing the term "americanized" into this? He's a young punk from Russia. I also doubt european-style hockey has anything to do with this, either.For the record, I have season tickets to Penguin games. I think it was classless for Kovalchuk to point to Crosby, and he should've been assessed a double minor. Crosby's young and full of passion for the game, and cares too much to the point where he gets labeled as a whiner, when he's just not reigning in his emotions enough. He's not whining - he's competitive and lets the refs know when he feels he isn't getting the benefit of a call. Call me biased, but I don't think he gets as many calls for his team as he should. I also feel that he takes a few too many stupid penalties, but chalk that up with not reigning himself in enough. He's young and he'll learn. I think he'll pull out the Calder because he makes his teammates better, and he'll improve with Therrian behind the bench. He needs a coach like that to help motivate the rest of the team, as it seemed clear that Crosby was one of the few showing passion when they had Edzo behind the bench.

Why are we bringing the term "americanized" into this? He's a young punk from Russia. I also doubt european-style hockey has anything to do with this, either.For the record, I have season tickets to Penguin games. I think it was classless for Kovalchuk to point to Crosby, and he should've been assessed a double minor. Crosby's young and full of passion for the game, and cares too much to the point where he gets labeled as a whiner, when he's just not reigning in his emotions enough. He's not whining - he's competitive and lets the refs know when he feels he isn't getting the benefit of a call. Call me biased, but I don't think he gets as many calls for his team as he should. I also feel that he takes a few too many stupid penalties, but chalk that up with not reigning himself in enough. He's young and he'll learn. I think he'll pull out the Calder because he makes his teammates better, and he'll improve with Therrian behind the bench. He needs a coach like that to help motivate the rest of the team, as it seemed clear that Crosby was one of the few showing passion when they had Edzo behind the bench.
really didn't like using terms like "americanized" and my stereotypes against europeans and french canadians, but i figured that would get my point across. if people are insult, i apologize.i think european-style hockey has a lot to do with it. in canada, we were brought up with a certain respect for hockey. it is not a game, or a sport to us, it is a national pastime. like baseball for many americans, it is a source on national pride. a canadian is taught to glory in his own achievements, and to respect his opponents. kovalchuk did neither.i think a 10-minute misconduct is more appropriate than a double minor, since it would not hurt his team in terms of a power play, but show the classlessness of his actions.
sorry, but you're wrong. you seem to speak with some passion, so i assume you are canadian. i am also, and am a huge hockey fan. i have both played and watched hockey for 15 years.what kovalchuk did was trash-hockey, not NHL hockey. that is XFL, americanized crap.
sorry but no, i am not wrong. yes i am canadian, and i would be confident in saying i have played a higher level of hockey than anyone on this board, and trash-talking is 100%, guaranteed, absoloutely a part of hockey, or basically every sport. that reminds me of a movie, i cant remember which one it was, where grown adults were playing football i think, one of them said "this one's goin out to your momma" and the other person said "leave the trash talking at home, buddy". i watched this with a few people over 20 who have played competetive sports, and we couldnt stop laughing. it could have been from mighty ducks now that i think about it more.people that think trash talking doesnt belong in sports are one of two things.1) bad at that sport, themselves2) bad at trash talking you think that if kovalchuk didnt do that in plain view, right after the goal, as crosby was stepping out of the box, that it wouldnt have happened? it would have. it would be in the corner, or at the face off circle, or after a period. it happens. it will happen every game. just because he did it to "the sidney" doesnt mean he should be punished for a part of the game.
sorry, but you're wrong. you seem to speak with some passion, so i assume you are canadian. i am also, and am a huge hockey fan. i have both played and watched hockey for 15 years.what kovalchuk did was trash-hockey, not NHL hockey. that is XFL, americanized crap.
sorry but no, i am not wrong. yes i am canadian, and i would be confident in saying i have played a higher level of hockey than anyone on this board, and trash-talking is 100%, guaranteed, absoloutely a part of hockey, or basically every sport. that reminds me of a movie, i cant remember which one it was, where grown adults were playing football i think, one of them said "this one's goin out to your momma" and the other person said "leave the trash talking at home, buddy". i watched this with a few people over 20 who have played competetive sports, and we couldnt stop laughing. it could have been from mighty ducks now that i think about it more.people that think trash talking doesnt belong in sports are one of two things.1) bad at that sport, themselves2) bad at trash talking you think that if kovalchuk didnt do that in plain view, right after the goal, as crosby was stepping out of the box, that it wouldnt have happened? it would have. it would be in the corner, or at the face off circle, or after a period. it happens. it will happen every game. just because he did it to "the sidney" doesnt mean he should be punished for a part of the game.
i'm certain you have played a higher level hockey than me. but there is no need to insult the Mighty Ducks. its ok i'm sure you didn't mean it.people who think trash talking doesn't belong in sports have respect for the sport they play, respect their opponents, and play the game properly.your assumptions are horrid and show your lack of respect for sports.i dont care if he does it to sidney crosby or brian sutherby. if he wants to say "haha sidney i scored while you were on the box" after, that's his perogative. but to publicly embarass someone as a method of celebrating your own accomplishment is unnecessary and disrespectful.you also imply that skill at trash talking has a bearing on a player's worth. there are plenty of gentlemanly players who have been at the top of their sport. they're "skill" at trash talking had no bearing on their ability, or their worth to their team.trash talking is a needless part of the game. it is currently part of the game, and has only negative effects. the same people who like trash talking are those who like fighting because they like violence, instead of liking fighting because it garners respect for them and their teammates, protects people from injuries and is a source of pride.daniel
:club:
trash talking is a needless part of the game. it is currently part of the game, and has only negative effects. the same people who like trash talking are those who like fighting because they like violence, instead of liking fighting because it garners respect for them and their teammates, protects people from injuries and is a source of pride.
I disagree with this 100%. Every player in the league trash talks to some degree. Obviously some more than others. I'm sure Kovalchuk said a lot worse things to him than the pointing. He even said the pointing was bad, and I agree, but I would LOVE to know what was said.I played compeitive hoceky my whole life, through college. I used trash talking as a part of my game, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I was good at it and used it to a MAJOR advantage. You say "people who like trash talking are those who like fighting because they like violence", which shows the ignorant sterotypes that you've used this whole thread. I was never a fighter, nor did I get a lot of penalty minutes, but I drew hundreds of them. That's what the talking was all about. I would have the other team worrying about me so much, they would forget they were there to play the game. It's part of the game, and it will always be. If you can't deal with it...or dish it out, that's your problem and you're at a disadvantage.
trash talking is a needless part of the game. it is currently part of the game, and has only negative effects. the same people who like trash talking are those who like fighting because they like violence, instead of liking fighting because it garners respect for them and their teammates, protects people from injuries and is a source of pride.
I disagree with this 100%. Every player in the league trash talks to some degree. Obviously some more than others. I'm sure Kovalchuk said a lot worse things to him than the pointing. He even said the pointing was bad, and I agree, but I would LOVE to know what was said.I played compeitive hoceky my whole life, through college. I used trash talking as a part of my game, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I was good at it and used it to a MAJOR advantage. You say "people who like trash talking are those who like fighting because they like violence", which shows the ignorant sterotypes that you've used this whole thread. I was never a fighter, nor did I get a lot of penalty minutes, but I drew hundreds of them. That's what the talking was all about. I would have the other team worrying about me so much, they would forget they were there to play the game. It's part of the game, and it will always be. If you can't deal with it...or dish it out, that's your problem and you're at a disadvantage.
i'm sure kovalchuk has had plenty of terrible stuff said to him. my point is that that stuff is not in public, or publicly heard, and it is not taking pleasure in something bad happening to another.he publicly humiliated another opponent. the other reasons i disliked it are above.trash talking is a part of the game - that much i admitted. even if it can be used to your advantage, i still think it is a needless part of the game, and takes a lot of the pride and honour out of it. since it seems to be there to stay, i would simply say that i have far more respect for someone who could deal with it, then someone who could dish it out, even if dishing it out was more advantageous to their team.we all saw steve downie use it to great advantage in the WJHC, so i'm certainly not arguing that it can't be done. but its benefit is in that you draw penalties. drawing penalties with your mouth instead of your skill is dishonourable. i know i'm just being idealistic, but it bothers me to see our national pasttime in a dishonourable way. it is analgous (though less serious) to baseball players using steroids, in my opinion.
:club:
exxxxxxxxxxactly. it was a giant part of my game, i would get less than average amount of penalty minutes per year, but on average i could draw at LEAST 3 penalties a game, minimum. it was a gigantic part of my game, gave me and my team the edge that every person looks for in hockey. i got in maybe 5 fights my entire career, not saying that i couldnt hold my own because i definitely could, but i would rather get people to take penalties on me and put my team ahead, then settle some score with someone. its just something that someone who didnt play super competetive hockey just cant realize and understand how huge a part of the game it is.
yes i am canadian, and i would be confident in saying i have played a higher level of hockey than anyone on this board
Just wondering, where did you play??I'm not challenging you or anything (I only played club college), but I was just wondering.
exxxxxxxxxxactly. it was a giant part of my game, i would get less than average amount of penalty minutes per year, but on average i could draw at LEAST 3 penalties a game, minimum. it was a gigantic part of my game, gave me and my team the edge that every person looks for in hockey. i got in maybe 5 fights my entire career, not saying that i couldnt hold my own because i definitely could, but i would rather get people to take penalties on me and put my team ahead, then settle some score with someone. its just something that someone who didnt play super competetive hockey just cant realize and understand how huge a part of the game it is.
i just talked to both my roommate and his brother (one former, other current OHL players) and both said something almost exactly the same as the bolded portion.now both of these guys are very big, and not exactly the most skilled players, but not fighters either.i guess its something that i feel shouldn't be part of the game, but perhaps that is an unrealistic hope.
yes i am canadian, and i would be confident in saying i have played a higher level of hockey than anyone on this board
Just wondering, where did you play??I'm not challenging you or anything (I only played club college), but I was just wondering.
haha thats ok, even if it was a challenge i wouldnt mind, that was just kind of a heat of the moment thing i said to get the point across, but i played in the WHL for 3 years, then off to the AHL for 2 years until i busted my already-busted-many-many-times knee again for the last time, and just couldnt keep playing at the level i wanted so i had to quit. still givin 'er in beer leagues and the occasional pick-up tourney.