phil ivey is sick...

Not sure if this was already posted but...This is a true story that happened recently. The story is being told by Josh Arieh. He and Ivey, Lindgren and Greenstein were all at the Aviation Club in Paris. They were playing a 800-1600$ blind big money game, when the following happened: Some guy in a Motorcycle helmet came in holding a hand gun demanding (in french) more money. Arieh stated numerous times how he was in the fetal position praying to God to let him get home and see his wife and children. He said there were 2 gunmen screaming at the people to give them more money. In the story all he kept saying was how scared he was, and how all he could do was pray. Well Phil Ivey during the middle of all of this was under a table doing the following. This is a direct quote from the story. In the midst of all the chaos, there is no group of people I would rather be in this situation with than a bunch of poker players. When all the chaos started there had just been a flop in the 800-1600 game that Lindgren, Ivey and Greenstein were playing, so to say the least the robbers interrupted their game. Ivey and the boys have some sort of way of betting on the side if certain hands win each pot. While I was in the fetal position praying for my life, Ivey was under the table calm as can be and, turning to Lindgren and Greenstein said "Boys, I wanna' double up this hand"...... this isnt right, I'm praying for my life, and Ivey is under the table cracking jokes-how cool is he? LOL, How sick is he? L*

at first i thought this was going to be a post about ivey being sick with the flu or something..wonder if thats a true story..either way, phil ivey is one of the most calm and relaxed players out there today

Yes this article is on Bluffmagazine's website. The story was written by Josh Arieh and with probably 30 or so witnesses, I doubt he made this event up. You know, I can envision Ivey sitting there under that table, saying he needed to double up. Does this guy ever think of anything but cards and outs?L* :D

Would've been better if he was making side bet on whether or not someone would be shot and/or killed. Put a few million on your own survival. If you live, you double up. If you lose, you won't have much use for the money. :D(well, that's if someone is going to give you 2:1 odds)

Reminds me of a story from "The Biggest Game in Town."During his musings about Jack Strauss, Alvarez tells a story about Jack and a friend getting held up by a wacko in a hotel room. It's a longer story than this, but after much going on, Jack decided they're best bet was for him to jump the guy. So he pounces, and- after a brief struggle- wrests the gun from their captor.While they're talking to the police afterwards, Jack says to his friend, "What'd you make me?"The friend says calmly, "Jack, I had you at about a 2-1 dog.""Shi t, man! Maybe I made a mistake! I figured myself for a 6-5 dog at worst!"I totally butchered the story, but you get the point. Gambles are ****ing sicko ****s.Ice

i dunno about you, but at a certain point there is no reason to get freaked out. All those damn horror movies and people try to escape and have 90 million bad things happen in a row. If something like this were to happen to me i'd say **** it and just quit trying. Now the story with Ivey, hell if you're gonna die, you're gonna die. Might as well not worry about it that much.

i thought they just robbed the owners??..if they robbed ppl in the club man i got lucky that day :shock: ...i went to eat at quick that day and got to the club shortly after the robberry. the aviation club did do a excellent job of not letting the robbery affect the tournament.

I've had a gun to my forehead. The guy didn't like his girlfriend leaving him for me.It was during the day and i had my sunglasses on, i saw the guys car coming and all i did was take off my glasses off and told myself that if he shot me he'd be looking into my eyes.He got out of the car and stuck the gun into my face and all i said is "you do what ya gotta do", i didn't piss myself or whimper, everyone dies at some point and i'd rather go like a man. Bullet to the head sounds better to me then some F'ed up cancer or some crap.

I've had a gun to my forehead. The guy didn't like his girlfriend leaving him for me.It was during the day and i had my sunglasses on, i saw the guys car coming and all i did was take off my glasses off and told myself that if he shot me he'd be looking into my eyes.He got out of the car and stuck the gun into my face and all i said is "you do what ya gotta do", i didn't censored myself or whimper, everyone dies at some point and i'd rather go like a man.  Bullet to the head sounds better to me then some F'ed up cancer or some crap.
this one time a guy said some not so nice things to me and i wet myself and started humming the theme song to l.a law until the ambulance came.....so yeah i know what it means to stand up to street toughs.......street toughs?? wtf am i in 1957?
I've had a gun to my forehead. The guy didn't like his girlfriend leaving him for me.It was during the day and i had my sunglasses on, i saw the guys car coming and all i did was take off my glasses off and told myself that if he shot me he'd be looking into my eyes.He got out of the car and stuck the gun into my face and all i said is "you do what ya gotta do", i didn't censored myself or whimper, everyone dies at some point and i'd rather go like a man.  Bullet to the head sounds better to me then some F'ed up cancer or some crap.
Did he shoot?
I agree. who wants to sit around and die slowly from some disease?
Did he shoot?
hopefully

Somedays i wish he had. I guess it's all in how you value your life and at that point in time it didn't really matter to me.P.S. I was young and stupid, but i'm still not affraid of something i can't control like death, nobody escapes that. I just try and get 12hrs of sleep a day now so i at least have an even shot at dying in my sleep....lol