.5/1 on stars is killin me

I recently just started to play .5/1 limit on pokerstars and i either get crushed or break even. Is there any successful way to taking on these games? I purchased Lee Jones' winning low limit holdem book and im pretty much playing by what he goes by but I seem to never be successful. It always seems that the fish win and im left with nothing.

lol, yeah i shoulda looked at that twice, I meant to say that usually i'll be up in a hand preflop and be forced to fold if i don't have the nuts because of all the insane betting that goes on

At this level, if you follow Lee Jones by the book (remember, by the book), you cannot lose long term.If you do, your game is leaking - bad.Now, having said that, you must be prepared for some swings at any level. Bad luck is a part of poker.I feel that Jones' book is good to the 10-20 level on line and, easily, 4-8 live.

At this level, if you follow Lee Jones by the book (remember, by the book), you cannot lose long term.If you do, your game is leaking - bad.Now, having said that, you must be prepared for some swings at any level. Bad luck is a part of poker.I feel that Jones' book is good to the 10-20 level on line and, easily, 4-8 live.
I found that following Jones, I was crushing the $0.25/$0.50 on PStars, but also struggling with $0.50/$1.00 there. However, over on Party Poker I'm making a killing at $0.50/$1.00, presumably because it's their lowest limit and the fish are forced to school there. I just bought Hold'Em for Advanced Players and Theory of Poker to improve my game, partly because after about 300 hours of play and three or four reads through Jones, I feel I've got about as much as I can from him. I do notice occasional leaks in my game (a bad habit of going on tilt when I'm tired, but I try not to play tired, especially at higher limit games) and I suspect that part of my trouble with the PStars $0.50/$1.00 game was that I was playing above my bankroll, but are you sure that the PStars $0.50/$1.00 game is loose-passive enough for Jones to work well? I find that too often, the pot odds aren't there for my draws and I have to drastically alter my pre-flop hand requirements to avoid always being behind on the flop.Anyway, I'm always looking for ways to improve my game, and I would love to believe that Jones is good up to 10-20, but at PStars, I'm not sure that's true. Do you usually play PStars, machete? If not, where do you play? I think I need to check it out. :-)

If your crushing the .25/.50 on stars and going by Jones I may have to step down from the .5/1 on stars. The tables there arent that passive and i have to agree on the part about the draws and odds because i am running into the same problems where im not getting laid the right odds. Sometimes i even feel that a few of the .5/1 tables are actually looser than the .25/.50 on stars. I guess another read through of Jones' book can't hurt me so it it looks like i'll be going back to that

I have to admit that I do not play on Pstars so am unaware of the low limit game there.I have accounts on Party, Pacific and Royal Vegas and have found Jones' advice to hold up on these sites to at least the $1-$2 level. On Pacific many games can be beaten at the $5-$10 level using LJ's advice.Now, one adjustment I do make relates to what you guys have already covered. If I am not convinced that I will achieve proper implied odds pre flop on my draws I typically look for a looser game. On these sites the loose passive games far out number the tighter games. If I do play in a game full of rocks, I will use position to my advantage and shake things up. However, typically I will just move to one of the multitude of fishy games and mop up.

I have to admit that I do not play on Pstars so am unaware of the low limit game there.I have accounts on Party, Pacific and Royal Vegas and have found Jones' advice to hold up on these sites to at least the $1-$2 level. On Pacific many games can be beaten at the $5-$10 level using LJ's advice.Now, one adjustment I do make relates to what you guys have already covered. If I am not convinced that I will achieve proper implied odds pre flop on my draws I typically look for a looser game. On these sites the loose passive games far out number the tighter games. If I do play in a game full of rocks, I will use position to my advantage and shake things up. However, typically I will just move to one of the multitude of fishy games and mop up.
Thanks, this is very good to know. My bankroll is almost big enough now for me to justify moving up again, and I had already figured I wouldn't be doing it at PStars. Since I already have Party and Pacific accounts, I'll probably focus on them, although I'm thinking seriously about opening an RV account anyway to take advantage of some bonuses.I have to admit that I'm a little shy of the game at Pacific at the moment -- a combination of boredom (no note-taking and slow single tables are a recipe for boredom and tilt for me) and bad luck (none of my nut flush draws hit and my sets constantly got cracked by drawing hands) made me recoil from Pacific like it was a hot stove after about a week. But considering I only got my account there to earn free poker chips for my home game, I didn't mind too much. Based on your advice, I'll probably go back soon and multitable with a Party table or two to cut back on the boredom factor.Cheers.

now has note taking capability. Just right click on the player's name and start typing. A very nice feature they have added.I found bonuses at RV and Pacific very easy to clear.It's funny, I run hot and cold at Pacific. My hot streaks can last for weeks but when I turn cold look out. It's a by-product of the no foldem games being played and can hurt sometimes. I have been on Pacific for over a year now (16 months) and am up over 5K playing .5-$1 all the way up to $5-$10 and some sit n gos/MMT.From what I can tell the level of play at low limits on RV and Party are about par with Pacific. Party might actually be worse (better for you of course!!!!)

now has note taking capability. Just right click on the player's name and start typing. A very nice feature they have added.I found bonuses at RV and Pacific very easy to clear.It's funny, I run hot and cold at Pacific. My hot streaks can last for weeks but when I turn cold look out. It's a by-product of the no foldem games being played and can hurt sometimes. I have been on Pacific for over a year now (16 months) and am up over 5K playing .5-$1 all the way up to $5-$10 and some sit n gos/MMT.From what I can tell the level of play at low limits on RV and Party are about par with Pacific. Party might actually be worse (better for you of course!!!!)
Wow, you're turning into a great resource for me here. How long has Pacific had the note-taking feature? I only opened my account there about 3.5 weeks ago, and I could swear that I tried right-clicking last time I was there... Or did they add it in the last three weeks? I'm going to have to laugh at myself if they did. And yeah, my bonus at Pacific has been very easy to clear. I'm wanting to take advantage of a reload bonus they emailed me about early on ($25 on a $50 deposit) but the email didn't specify and end date for the offer and I sent an email to support over a week ago and have heard nothing so far. (The slow/non-existent support worries me too, especially when I'm just starting out like this.)I really wish I could justify playing some bigger games at any of these rooms, but I'm working very hard to discipline myself to follow the 300xBB rule (if I don't do it now, I'll pay later) and it's killing me to consistently crush these low limit games and come away with (on a good day) maybe $5 per hour per table. Oh, well. With advice like yours, I should be moving up in no time.

Man, I tend to think that Lee Jones is going to be one of those things that latter on you're going to have to get out of your system.Hes too weak tight, hes got the whole monsters under the bed syndrome. Every hand, someones gotta monster and u have to fold. his game is almost non-agressive.Stick with holdem poker by sklansky and go to Small Stakes Holdem which will truly make u into a killer of low limit poker. Then move up to Holdem for AP and theory of poker when u get to higher limits.Lee Jones will stop u from losing (but profit wise, hes going to be a leak later on) -- Sklansky and Miller will make u see the profit. Its all about Show me the money!!!!!!