hypothetical ethics question

Why do people write as if the outcome of a poker match is predetermined because one player is better than the other. If DN were to play, he's not guaranteed to win. He, or anybody else risks the same amount of money as their opponent. It's absolutely ridiculous and stupid to take into account someone's financial "well being" when deciding whether or not you're willing to play them. ESPECIALLY when you play poker for a living.PS. The general forum has become a fucking crapshoot for the retarded!
No, but he's gaining a lot of equity.
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people write as if the outcome of a poker match is predetermined because one player is better than the other. If DN were to play, he's not guaranteed to win. He, or anybody else risks the same amount of money as their opponent. It's absolutely ridiculous and stupid to take into account someone's financial "well being" when deciding whether or not you're willing to play them. ESPECIALLY when you play poker for a living.PS. The general forum has become a fucking crapshoot for the retarded!
I was waiting for the obligatory one dimensional response from the guy who misses the point. Please refrain from stating the obvious, and try sounding respectful and intelligent with your dissenting opinion. And yes, youre right this forum has become a "crapshoot for the retarded", you just proved it.
I was waiting for the obligatory one dimensional response from the guy who misses the point. Please refrain from stating the obvious, and try sounding respectful and intelligent with your dissenting opinion. And yes, youre right this forum has become a "crapshoot for the retarded", you just proved it.
Refrain from stating the obvious? That's impossible ... your moronic, hypothetical situation only contains obviously simple answers. In fact, I think you labelled them a) and B).
There must be a team of guys who go to each forum and make this comment.
Refrain from stating the obvious? That's impossible ... your moronic, hypothetical situation only contains obviously simple answers. In fact, I think you labelled them a) and B)
No genius, a) and B) are 2 courses of action. the post is about the moral dillema that this presents for top pros who dont need the kids money. but like I said, you missed the point from the beginning... so there is no point in arguing it..by the way.. .when you use words like moronic, and absolutely ridiculous and stupid, you sort of discredit yourself......
Refrain from stating the obvious? That's impossible ... your moronic, hypothetical situation only contains obviously simple answers. In fact, I think you labelled them a) and B)
No genius, a) and B) are 2 courses of action. the post is about the moral dillema that this presents for top pros who dont need the kids money. but like I said, you missed the point from the beginning... so there is no point in arguing it..by the way.. .when you use words like moronic, and absolutely ridiculous and stupid, you sort of discredit yourself......
:club: I knew I shouldn't have posted in general. Read this, then think about it before you reply .....If you play poker for a living ..... There is NO "moral dilema"!THAT IS THE POINT! ...That's what makes your hypothetical situation so stupid.

If you play poker for a living ..... There is NO "moral dilema"!Thank you kind sir you made your point loud and clear! Will someone please show Mr. Razor the exit?

I knew I shouldn't have posted in general
. I guess this is the place for me then since my OP was so ridiculously moronic and stupid and idiotic and whatever other 4th grade level vocab words you used. Someone do something about these idiots flooding the general forum!

Interesting question. For me, I think it would depend on circumstances. Is it clear this kid has done something illegal ? If so, I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. I think my mom urges would overcome me....I would be likely to try to lecture someone about what they were doing. How am I sure this kid is gambling with stolen money ? If he is clearly underage, I might want to report him/call the police. I'd love to say it's because I have strong morals, but I'm also worrying about getting in trouble when this kid tells folks where he lost his money. I don't think it matters morally whether it is any one of us or DN taking advantage of the kid. I don't think that DN should be held to a higher standard because he is a professional. I also don't thin he has to meet a lower standard and can take anyone's money because he needs to make his money from gambling. There were threads in the past about some pro poker players not tipping dealers because it cuts into their profits. I totally disagree with that.

Interesting question.  For me, I think it would depend on circumstances.  Is it clear this kid has done something illegal ?  If so, I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole.  I think my mom urges would overcome me....I would be likely to try to lecture someone about what they were doing.  How am I sure this kid is gambling with stolen money ?  If he is clearly underage, I might want to report him/call the police.  I'd love to say it's because I have strong morals, but I'm also worrying about getting in trouble when this kid tells folks where he lost his money.  I don't think it matters morally whether it is any one of us or DN taking advantage of the kid.  I don't think that DN should be held to a higher standard because he is a professional.  I also don't thin he has to meet a lower standard and can take anyone's money because he needs to make his money from gambling.  There were threads in the past about some pro poker players not tipping dealers because it cuts into their profits.  I totally disagree with that.
Stolen money? Getting caught? Call the police? I believe J Farrell's mom just posted.....
I come from the Social Darwinistic point of view on this and many issues.  If he is too stupid as an adult to waste all his money playing me HU then let him waste his money.  The strong will survive, and by beating him you may teach him a life lesson about gambling.
FYP
I come from the Darwinistic point of view on this and many issues.  If he is too stupid as an adult to waste all his money playing me HU then let him waste his money.  The strong will survive, and by beating him you may teach him a life lesson about gambling.
Agreed... people this dumb deserve to be broke.
If you play poker for a living .....  There is NO "moral dilema"!Thank you kind sir you made your point loud and clear!  Will someone please show Mr. Razor the exit?  
I knew I shouldn't have posted in general
. I guess this is the place for me then since my OP was so ridiculously moronic and stupid and idiotic and whatever other 4th grade level vocab words you used. Someone do something about these idiots flooding the general forum!
Oh how I wish this weren't true.
Interesting question.  For me, I think it would depend on circumstances.  Is it clear this kid has done something illegal ?  If so, I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole.  I think my mom urges would overcome me....I would be likely to try to lecture someone about what they were doing.  How am I sure this kid is gambling with stolen money ?  If he is clearly underage, I might want to report him/call the police.  I'd love to say it's because I have strong morals, but I'm also worrying about getting in trouble when this kid tells folks where he lost his money.  I don't think it matters morally whether it is any one of us or DN taking advantage of the kid.  I don't think that DN should be held to a higher standard because he is a professional.  I also don't thin he has to meet a lower standard and can take anyone's money because he needs to make his money from gambling.  There were threads in the past about some pro poker players not tipping dealers because it cuts into their profits.  I totally disagree with that.
Stolen money? Getting caught? Call the police? I believe J Farrell's mom just posted.....
I was asking if it was stolen money from the kid's parents' credit card. I am assuming credit card companies don't give kids $30, 000 lines of credit. I think it's important to know if it is the kid's money to lose. You don't ?

How about this.30k is serious debt, but for someone so young, it wouldn't be impossible for them to crawl out from under it eventually.Perhaps breaking them and giving them a serious reality-check would be the best thing for them?So you'd be doing this kid a favor in the long-run?Just a thought...

I think it would be condescending and disrespectful for me to assume I know better than my opponents what he should do with his money, or where he should get his funds for his bankroll. Maybe he's a budding poker genius with a huge edge over me. Maybe he's calculated the risks and feels this is a good investment. I cant know all the facts, so I keep my nose out of it and do what I came to do...play poker. If it's my nephew or my best friend, then that's different.

PS.  The general forum has become a fucking crapshoot for the retarded!
Razor you're a moron. People like you are useless on forums. All your posts do are talk crap to other members. Maybe everyone should come to you first before they post something just to make sure you will allow it. :roll: You're not better than everyone else. I enjoyed this topic and had a difficult time comming up with an answer. Unlike you, some of us have morals. :roll: Get a life...
PS.  The general forum has become a fucking crapshoot for the retarded!
Razor you're a moron
. Well ... perhaps
People like you are useless on forums. All your posts do are talk crap to other members.
Go back and read some of my posts. You, like most uneducated people will form an opinion based on one event. Just like how when you won that tourney w/ your friends for a $50 profit and suddenly realized you were a phenomenal poker player.
Maybe everyone should come to you first before they post something just to make sure you will allow it
. Wouldn't this be a nice change. Then I could weed out all this cr@p before every other innocent person had to be subject to it.
You're not better than everyone else.
Ahhhhhh ..... Yes I am.
I enjoyed this topic and had a difficult time comming up with an answer
. If you had a difficult time coming up with an answer then you sir, may very well be one of the retards posting in general. Have you had your medication today?
Unlike you, some of us have morals.  :roll:  Get a life..
MY GOODNESS! .... It's not a moral question. How do so many people miss this. It is a ridiculous, pointless waste of time to argue this. So why am I agruing this? ... Because I'm fucking retarded!
MY GOODNESS! .... It's not a moral question.  How do so many people miss this.  It is a ridiculous, pointless waste of time to argue this.  So why am I agruing this? ... Because I'm fucking retarded!
You're right it's not morals. It's what the educated would call an ethical dilema. You probably wouldn't understand that though...

Originally, I thought I wouldn't play. Then I thought about it more while taking a deucebomb, and decided I would play.1. He deposited the 30K onto an online poker site, refusing to play isn't going to make him realize he's wrong and cash it out. He's going to play with that money.2. Either the guy's good enough to be playing high stakes, and therefore my advantage isn't so great as to guarantee victory or be unfair to the point where I'd have some remorse, I would play. Although he'll probably lose 30K, he might win 30K off of me.3. If the guy's too bad to even have a chance, I would still play. He's going to play high stakes against someone, it might as well be me.4. After all is said and done, some might say that this is an expensive lesson, some might say it's a cheap one. 30K isn't going to ruin his life, and hopefully it will teach him a lot about risk management in his future poker playing and investing.