2006 main event will be 14 days long

yeah I guess they're trying to make it more equal or whateverI am a strong believer in raising the buy in, personally
I would agree with raising the buy in but then the online sites would just raise the qualifiers and send as many people imo. Any chance the main event will be a true test of poker talent as in H.O.R.S.E.?
Any chance the main event will be a true test of poker talent as in H.O.R.S.E.?
No. Simple answer. Would poker have exploded the way it has if it were a mixed game? No. Money is a motivator to Harrah's (to nearly everyone actually), see proof of that in the exemptions they gave in the TOC. Follow the money (more NLH events at smaller buyins than ever, eleminate the mixed games) and you'll always find the easy answer.

I agree itsa jopke, but until they can get 4k + ppl in the same room to play poker, what can you do? (this would make 2 starting days).Atleast they listened to the players request about the unfairness of day 2 being right after one of the day 1 flights.

No. Simple answer. Would poker have exploded the way it has if it were a mixed game? No. Money is a motivator to Harrah's (to nearly everyone actually), see proof of that in the exemptions they gave in the TOC. Follow the money (more NLH events at smaller buyins than ever, eleminate the mixed games) and you'll always find the easy answer.
there's your problem right there. Hold em is whats popular. Sure Horse is a better test of all around skill, but most people watch poker on tv and say, hey I wanna do that, and what they're watching is HoldemMore than likely, the World Series, especially the main event, will forever stay NLHE based
yeah I guess they're trying to make it more equal or whateverI am a strong believer in raising the buy in, personally
Since this new schedule is the result of not raising it, then I have to agree with you, this coming from a hardcore purist of the WSOP.This is fucking ridiculous.I hope it backfires to a shrunken field because less people can afford the prolonged stay or take time off from work for that long.

Even this year they didn't completely sell out the Main Event. I think they still had something like 400 seats or so left. Correct me if I'm wrong however. I most certaintly could be.

there's your problem right there. Hold em is whats popular. Sure Horse is a better test of all around skill, but most people watch poker on tv and say, hey I wanna do that, and what they're watching is HoldemMore than likely, the World Series, especially the main event, will forever stay NLHE based
I don't think it should be called the WSOP anymore. Maybe the World Lottery of TV Poker?
Even this year they didn't completely sell out the Main Event.  I think they still had something  like 400 seats or so left.  Correct me if I'm wrong however.  I most certaintly could be.
The nevada gaming commission stated last year that there can be no cap on the number of players because it is am open event. If 10,000 people sign up then they will have to make room. Hence it will never sell out
The nevada gaming commission stated last year that there can be no cap on the number of players because it is am open event.
I heard that at the time and it makes no sense to me. Why can there be a cap on the other events then? Why is the ME not capped and others are?Strange.Hey and when will you have to buy your seat for event #17 $1,000 NL tourney? March 1st? LOL. That one is gonna sell out quick. I am contemplating doing it for fun and I've never even been to Vegas. :shock:
The main event will always be NLHE, but I bet they could market a 20K mixed event as the Skills Championship or something where the final table switched to all hold 'em. Or they could just cherry pick hands for television. It would definitely be teeming with pros and thus very marketable.

they should keep the same format as last year and cap it at 6600. If they sell out completely than think about to going to a 4 day round 1. They will have a hard time getting 6600 this year i believe. Some people i have heard think that last year was going to b the biggest ever and the numbers will slowly start creeping down.

The nevada gaming commission stated last year that there can be no cap on the number of players because it is am open event. If 10,000 people sign up then they will have to make room. Hence it will never sell out
Hmmm... although I am sure you are right that it can never technically sell out, there were a set number of seats available each day, determined by the number of available tables / chairs / chips / dealers etc. There are also legal occupancy issues that arise at a certain point. In any case, I agree with those that argue that they should raise the buy-in of the main event... although changing the format of the "Main Event" to HORSE would certainly be good for that as well. Changing the format might also increase the popularity of some of those other games, and give an added bump to the poker boom.I dunno... just my .02
They will have a hard time getting 6600 this year i believe.
You couldn't be more wrong.As long as the internet sites keep growing like they are the ME will continue to have explosive growth.

The WSOP main event probably could've gotten 8800 this year, but they weren't interested in changing the schedule to allow for a fourth day 1. There was talk all over the floor (even among tournament staff) that they were considering this.I think the only reasonable thing to do to ensure the prestige of this event would be to raise the buy-in to $25,000. Considering the WSOP circuit events, and the year round online qualifiers available, it might as well be more like the WPT finals rather than the poker-lottery.I know the traditionalists say that everyone should have a chance to enter and $10K keeps it reasonable for many more players, but seriously - how many everyday joes could fork up $10,000 25 years ago? $25,000 is a perfectly reasonable number by today's standards.