idiots deciding to race off all their money in rings

no need to go gunblazing big pots with AK in a cash game. donkeys can't get away from any type of hand. save that for AA & KK when you have the big edge. you are basically risking your whole stack to win 15 or go in as a 54-46% underdog. i don't care what anyone says but 54-46 is NOT A COINFLIP! smooth call and try to outplay him in a smallpot if you miss.
you're absolutely right about it not being a coin flip, and it's part of the reason "idiots push" cause 10 10 had an edge. How ever, He can't fold his hand once he makes that raise. The only question then becomes, should he have made that raise at all. And that can only be answered based on the play of your opponent.
Exactly- and to be honest I dont like that reraise. Occasionally I will race with A-K in a cash game, but it is so situational, and sometimes depends wholly on my mood- Do I want to do alot of preflop racing or do I want to outplay people? To say that the guy with the tens made a bad play is just wrong- especially if he knows what you will try to push him off of pairs with. I would LOVE to see the whole session and not just one hand, it would give me a better look at the whole story.
How very age of aquarious of you..
LOL- I mean that some days I might just feel like pushing with A-K because I am in gambling mode vs. poker mode. You dont ever have days when you play ultra aggressive and just have a card catching contest? Easily beats wrestling naked midgets anyday.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with pushing with AK, most of the power in AK is it's ability to pick up dead money in the pot from fold equity. Your able to make others fold without a showdown most of the time when you move in or make a substantial raise. Calling all-ins with Ak usually sucks unless situation dictates otherwise such as shortstacks moving in, desperate maniac bluffer moving in and etc.AK is mostly a pre-flop hand in NL, it doesn't perform very well as a post-flop hand given that you will usually get no action when you hit an A or K and you will usually miss the flop as well.
this is so wrong I can't believe it ... AK is a GREaT post flop hand.. you just have to know how to play it, both preflop and post.. if you haven't scared off AJ, and AQ with over betting preflop, you can make alot of money with this hand. AK makes most of it's money from aces with kicker problems.
Unless you constantly find yourself in situations where your up against AQ and AJ, which you'd need to be extremely lucky to do, I would not believe this to be the case. Your reasoning for AK being a great post flop hand is flawed. It's the same as saying you make the most money with 55 as a hand when you hit a set when your opponent has an overpair. Obviously you're going to make money from AK postflop when you both flop an Ace and your opponent has a worst kicker, that simply doesn't happen as much as you'd think. When you're getting heavy action on a board where you have connected with AK, you're usually in bad shape.
I'm not saying it happens often, I am saying that it is where you make the most proffit on the hand. you say "It's the same as saying you make the most money with 55 as a hand when you hit a set when your oopenent has over pair." Well.. yes, exactly, except AK verse Ax happens much more often. You also have to not be an idiot, and get married to your one pair hand. if the board is AJ10, and you're getting crazy action and you raised before the flip, you're proably crusified. When I say AK is a good post flop hand, I'm assuming you're not a moron.
no need to go gunblazing big pots with AK in a cash game. donkeys can't get away from any type of hand. save that for AA & KK when you have the big edge. you are basically risking your whole stack to win 15 or go in as a 54-46% underdog. i don't care what anyone says but 54-46 is NOT A COINFLIP! smooth call and try to outplay him in a smallpot if you miss.
you're absolutely right about it not being a coin flip, and it's part of the reason "idiots push" cause 10 10 had an edge. How ever, He can't fold his hand once he makes that raise. The only question then becomes, should he have made that raise at all. And that can only be answered based on the play of your opponent.
Exactly- and to be honest I dont like that reraise. Occasionally I will race with A-K in a cash game, but it is so situational, and sometimes depends wholly on my mood- Do I want to do alot of preflop racing or do I want to outplay people? To say that the guy with the tens made a bad play is just wrong- especially if he knows what you will try to push him off of pairs with. I would LOVE to see the whole session and not just one hand, it would give me a better look at the whole story.
How very age of aquarious of you..
LOL- I mean that some days I might just feel like pushing with A-K because I am in gambling mode vs. poker mode. You dont ever have days when you play ultra aggressive and just have a card catching contest? Easily beats wrestling naked midgets anyday.
You bet I do.. when the moon is in the seventh house, and jupiter is alligned with mars..
There's nothing wrong with pushing with AK, most of the power in AK is it's ability to pick up dead money in the pot from fold equity. Your able to make others fold without a showdown most of the time when you move in or make a substantial raise. Calling all-ins with Ak usually sucks unless situation dictates otherwise such as shortstacks moving in, desperate maniac bluffer moving in and etc.AK is mostly a pre-flop hand in NL, it doesn't perform very well as a post-flop hand given that you will usually get no action when you hit an A or K and you will usually miss the flop as well.
this is so wrong I can't believe it ... AK is a GREaT post flop hand.. you just have to know how to play it, both preflop and post.. if you haven't scared off AJ, and AQ with over betting preflop, you can make alot of money with this hand. AK makes most of it's money from aces with kicker problems.
Unless you constantly find yourself in situations where your up against AQ and AJ, which you'd need to be extremely lucky to do, I would not believe this to be the case. Your reasoning for AK being a great post flop hand is flawed. It's the same as saying you make the most money with 55 as a hand when you hit a set when your opponent has an overpair. Obviously you're going to make money from AK postflop when you both flop an Ace and your opponent has a worst kicker, that simply doesn't happen as much as you'd think. When you're getting heavy action on a board where you have connected with AK, you're usually in bad shape.
I'm not saying it happens often, I am saying that it is where you make the most proffit on the hand. you say "It's the same as saying you make the most money with 55 as a hand when you hit a set when your oopenent has over pair." Well.. yes, exactly, except AK verse Ax happens much more often. You also have to not be an idiot, and get married to your one pair hand. if the board is AJ10, and you're getting crazy action and you raised before the flip, you're proably crusified. When I say AK is a good post flop hand, I'm assuming you're not a moron.
You said it's a great post flop hand, which in my mind would equate it to a hand like 78 suited, hands that are played primarily post-flop. I would argue it's more of a pre-flop hand where your equity from playing the hand is in fold equity.
So you are mad because you lost? I love people who are so attached to AK preflop that they push and push and push.
No i just cant understand his re-push there.... it makes absolutly no sense to me......... i just am trying to figure out who made the worse play.... him re-pushing or me bumping to 75
it's a tie, both pretty bad. But you should be questioning your own play more than his. You played this hand like a tourney and you only had 5bb's left. He raised from early position, you should have known that AK was either beat or most likely in a race, look at your own play before criticizing others.
Vegas was built with alot less of an advantage than the advantage a pp has vs 2 overs. I'll take those odds all day.
This my friends is the right attitude to have, and the motto you (as poker players) should live by.STOP SEEING MONSTERS UNDER THE BED.
Guest Zach6668
I loveit when people say nlh is for suckers. these people may not be very skilled at no limit but that doesnt mean nlh sucks it just means you suck at nlh. its because in nlh you have to be able to lay hands down and in limit you can just pay off two more bets. takes much more skill to play in nlh ring game.
You are an idiot. They are different games and require completely different skills. Do not compare them.Zach
Vegas was built with alot less of an advantage than the advantage a pp has vs 2 overs. I'll take those odds all day.
This my friends is the right attitude to have, and the motto you (as poker players) should live by.STOP SEEING MONSTERS UNDER THE BED.
i'll thank you not to relate your experiences to my life. there does happen to be monsters under my bed, and they grow every time people say they don't exist. so stop.other than that, excellent post

I don't know what percent exactly, but many people that are calling the op stupid would make the same play. The best advice that is given is to push and not call with AK, and look for people that overplay AQs in these spots. They are out there, and that is certainly where you make your money.

I loveit when people say nlh is for suckers. these people may not be very skilled at no limit but that doesnt mean nlh sucks it just means you suck at nlh. its because in nlh you have to be able to lay hands down and in limit you can just pay off two more bets. takes much more skill to play in nlh ring game.
I figured that I would just bump this post for all of you.Merry Christmas Smash :club: