daniel and the wpt

I like daniel, but my, how big egos get! Would he even have 1/4 the success from endorsers and other places with out the WPT. The WPT has exploded poker into what it is today. 3 years ago, hardly anyone would recognize him, now he is a" celebrity". The WPT has help fuel the enormous payouts in tournaments. Without the WPT you would not be where your at today, so don't be such an ass and give a little back! My how big egos can get!

What DN is worried about are the legal implications if the WPT uses his name and likeness to advertise their online poker site, since we all know DN is affiliated with FCP Poker.

It was actually the 2004 WSOP that exposed DN, even though he has had significant WPT TV time. Regardless, the personality is DNs, not the WPT or the WSOP. The methods in which DN plays his cards (intellectual property) are DNs. I would argue that a bad card player couldn't gain the same sort of celebrity status as DN, but then again look at Matusow. If the WPT wants to use player's likeness for advertising, promotion, whatever, then have the WPT pay entry fees. Otherwise, players should retain the rights to their image and personalities.

You can argue the fact Matusow acts like a jerk...you can argue that the tv producers love it and encourage it...the thing I'd like to see you try to argue is that MM is a bad player. If you think he is a bad player, you're just not paying close enough attention. If you want to skip a step, just go straight to his results.

I think it is time for Poker Players to create an association so they can defend themselves more efficiently when something like this happens. DN gets paid a good amount for putting his face on the FCP Poker site and he would get nothing if the WPT used his face for their online poker room, that is just simply not fair. Sure WPT has done some good for his image and allowed him to become a poker celebrity but that does not mean that they can now use him to they benefits without giving him something (although he is probably legally tied to FCP Poker so that would create such a big problem between WPT, DN and FCP Poker site). DN, listen to Harry D and get some sort of association going...now is the time.

DN is relying on an emailed interpretation of a legal release/consent form by an interested party to determine what his rights are? Aieeee! :shock: Here's an idea: show up at the next event, look over the release, stroke out any terms that seem unreasonable, and sign it. Then take your seat or your cab home, depending on their reaction.

DN is relying on an emailed interpretation of a legal release/consent form by an interested party to determine what his rights are? Aieeee! :shock: Here's an idea: show up at the next event, look over the release, stroke out any terms that seem unreasonable, and sign it. Then take your seat or your cab home, depending on their reaction.

Maybe my reading comprehension is a little off here, but I can see taking this slightly differentlythan DN did. A perfect example occurred recently. Without my approval, a banner ad featuring three prominent players was used by a WPT affiliate to drive people to our online poker site. Within an hour of hearing about the ad, I had it removed not because we were legally obligated to, but because the players asked us to and we take their concerns seriously."To me it kind of reads that they were legally obligated to remove it, but Lipscomb removed it because he put the players concerns even above that. His "concern" could be genuine or it could just be spin. The WPT may try to retain as many rights as possible because, up to a certain point, it makes good business sense for them, but even he knows that they wouldn't be smart to die on their sword over this one in the long run.Regardless DN and other players have valid concerns and without these marquee players becoming formally organized with some real leverage, the best thing they probably have right now is Daniel's blog to fight their good fight.

From what I understand, Andy Bloch had been crossing out parts he did not consent to and that was accepted for a while but it has come to a head by the WPT no longer accepting the deletions.

Daniel, and all of the other pros, should COPYRIGHT and TRADEMARK their likenesses like some of the hollywood film stars do. Then allow their likenesses to be used only to the extent that they are playing in a tournament and it is being aired.They, the pros, should contact media lawyers and get their rights from those who make their living protecting the star's rights.

I like daniel, but my, how big egos get!   Would he even have 1/4 the success from endorsers and other places with out the WPT.  The WPT has exploded poker into what it is today.  3 years ago, hardly anyone would recognize him, now he is a" celebrity".  The WPT has help fuel the enormous payouts in tournaments.  Without the WPT you would not be where your at today, so don't be such an ass and give a little back!  My how big egos can get!
Just like athletes and actors, this all these people can own is their likeness. You would also have to recgonize that the WPT has benefited from people like DN. By him being a chracter and a ambassador to the public. They benefit from eachother.The WPT should have to have permission to use their likeness. I definately see a conflict of interest of the WPT having an on-line site. That would be like the NBA having a shoe company. Then because Micheal Jordan is a player in the NBA, using his face to sell the NBA's shoes, even though he is signed to Nike.I don't think DN's ego is getting in the way here. He is looking out for his hind end. He is looking out for his business interests.
I like daniel, but my, how big egos get!   Would he even have 1/4 the success from endorsers and other places with out the WPT.  The WPT has exploded poker into what it is today.  3 years ago, hardly anyone would recognize him, now he is a" celebrity".  The WPT has help fuel the enormous payouts in tournaments.  Without the WPT you would not be where your at today, so don't be such an ass and give a little back!  My how big egos can get!
Daniel exudes confidence. Some people are intimidated by confidence. If there are any contractual conflicts, business decisions must be made. This issue is similar to the owner's rights with regard to copyright. If Daniel's sponsors don't allow the use of his image, he would not be able to participate. It's great that this issue appears to have been resolved. :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: