stop whining about banks

I feel sorry for the tellers who were forced listening to DN piss and moan all afternoon. When you make a deposit for some ungodly amount of money you WILL HAVE TO WAIT for the check to clear. That's the way it is. Get over it!

yes, banks suck.. but we all know that, and we all know that you almost always have to wait when making a big deposit like that.. especially by check... they are just covering their asses...DN realized he shouldn't have gotten a check.. although walking in with a bag full of hundred dollar bundles would probably make them suspicious as well... :club:

Daniel,I would suggest opening an account at a stock brokerage firm like Charles Schwab. You can set up a direct link from your brokerage account to your bank account and money can be easily trasferred back and forth with only a telephone call. In addition, an an accomodation to higher balance clients (I'm sure you would qualify), Schwab will also make wire transfers (often at no charge) with you only having to make a phone call. I can appreciate your frustration with banks as a mainstream customer. What you need is higher level iof service that is typically offered to an individual who maintains higher balances in his accounts. Some banks may offer this. As I mentioned earlier, brokerage firms usually provide those kinds of services to their higher net worth customers. Since you definitely qualify as such, I suggest that you shop around and find some firm willing to accomodate your needs with respect to cash and/or wire transfers. You should have no problem finding one that will.

Yes, I think your main problem is that you were dealing with a "mainstream" bank. Those are for "regular" folks. Get yourself into a brokerage firm, or a private credit union. I used to hate banks as well untill I joined a credit union, things are much better. I would shop around for another banking option that would fit your needs.

You would think a check from the bellagio wouldnt need to be held. If they were concerned about fruad a simple call to confirm it was indeed issued to D.N. should be enough.Before telling someone to quit whining walk a mile in there shoes. Trying to use large amounts of cash for any legitimate sort of bussiness these days is near impossible

I recently had a bank cash a check that someone stole from my mailbox at my company. They took a check written to an incorporated company, and cashed it to an individual. I couldn't believe they would do that when I can't get a check cashed when I am the CEO of the company. I have to deposit it and then write a check to cash if I want cash. And this was B of A. And DN, you are too quick to believe conspiracies, A bank wouldn't keep a check for a couple extra days to collect interest.......they are the ones paying the interest. The keep the checks because the banks only wire money interbank on set scheduals, and they want to give a cushion for human error.If you want to speed things up, set up Fullcontactpoker to take 1/2 of 1 cent from each account every other raked hand and watch your account grow....or do you guys already do this????????Go to a private bank, shoot they come to your house to handle transactions. Need a couple bucks, call them and they come to your house with the cash, you sign a withdrawal slip, and off you go. Need a sizable balance, but membership has it's privleges.

And DN, you are too quick to believe conspiracies, A bank wouldn't keep a check for a couple extra days to collect interest.......they are the ones paying the interest. The keep the checks because the banks only wire money interbank on set scheduals, and they want to give a cushion for human error.
uhmmm... no. while DN's deposit IS accruing interest, the banks are collecting even more interest from investments they bought with DN's money. that's how banks make money.

I think a lot of people read the discussions and are not really sure how Daniel comes off to others. This takes me back to the blog where he bought in for a large amount of money at a NL table where most everybody else had a fraction of his buy in. He was talking about how everybody was having a blast, but everybody in the forum misunderstood and thought he was being a jerk.Daniel comes off more comical than a disgruntled customer.

Because of the nature of your business it is quite possible that your net worth can vary substantially. That gives a bank pause. Contact a ranking officer in the bank you wish to do business with. A moderate size bank in your area has the most flexiblity and a local decision maker. Tell them your needs and set up a line of credit. The line of credit would be backed by some form of equity--house, stocks, whatever. At that point the bank officer will 'initial' your account. You now have a preferred status with the bank and the computer will reflect that. I would imagine your accountant could advise and follow through on the necessary process. Talk to him and then consult with some banks--either through him or as you choose. Banks want your business and will provide you with a competative structure that accomodates your needs.Otherwise, ask the Bellagio to do a direct transfer instead of writing a check. They should also be happy to accomodate you. A direct transfer is instant cash. There would be no hold on such a transfer and you instantly funded wherever the tranfer ends up.

In his blog, Daniel wrote:So I get up to the teller and explain what I need. A cashier's check for the full amount. She stares at the check blankly as if she'd never seen one before. "Hmmm... I don't think we can do one for that amount, hold on I'll get my supervisor."This is Vegas...How could they NOT have this kind of money coming through every day. You would think this amount (which from reading the previous blog looks to be around $200,000) would be fairly standard in Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I almost couldn't believe what I was reading in terms of the Bank post. Daniel, seriously, you could have replaced "Bank" and "Wells Fargo" with "FULL CONTACT POKER." It was amazing.I hope you've figured out that FCP has MUCH MORE RESTRICTIVE policies on cash outs, etc. , and is at least as frustating to deal with. For example, I made a Cash Out request on DECEMBER 10, and JUST RECEIVED the cash in my account on January 4!Have to send in a utility bill?? Not to mention all of the other amazingly arcane and selfish rules, bonuses, etc. The point is, just as frustrated as you were with the Bank, many are with FCP.I can't tell you how bad an image the poker side of FCP has given you in my opinion. It's sad. Hope you're enjoying the rake, because here is one former DN fan who wishes you hadn't gone down this road.