I was recently playing in an online multi-table tournament with 750 players as we approached the bubble. My stack at the time was roughly 16,000 chips when the tournament average was 8,500. The blinds were at 300/600 with about 80 players remaining. I feel I had been playing very well and considering the buy-in wasn't too large, I was playing to win since only the money for the top 5 seemed significant to me.I posted the BB and was dealt two red kings. While considering how to play them, MP1 (11,000 chip stack) raised to 1500. Then, the only person at the table who had me covered, reraised all in for 19,000 chips. It came to me and although I knew I was playing very well and was under no pressure from the blinds, I made the call thinking that it was too good a chance to pass up. If I won, I'd have 5% of the total chips in play with 80 left and would be in the drivers seat. As it turns out, the player who pushed all-in had AA and I never drew out. Basically, I was wondering if it could ever be right to fold a hand as strong as KK there, regardless of how well I think I'm controlling the action and how well I'm playing. I figured that there were legitimate hands that he could push that stack in with, and I dominate all but one of them. I'm really not upset with the play, but I wonder if you would ever consider folding there.

If you were playing to win, then you made the right move. Around the bubble, the big stack will bully the rest of the table.He obviously had a hand but like you said, you're only behind one of them - it's just bad luck that he had aces.

I'm really not upset with the play, but I wonder  if you would ever consider folding there.
Nope. Play to win.Or, fold KK, and eek out a 1.71 profit just inside the bubble.And look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you're hung like a field mouse, because you folded KK preflop.Play MTT's for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Not 59th, 58th, or 57th.
I'm really not upset with the play, but I wonder if you would ever consider folding there.
Nope. Play to win.Or, fold KK, and eek out a 1.71 profit just inside the bubble.And look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you're hung like a field mouse, because you folded KK preflop.Play MTT's for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Not 59th, 58th, or 57th.

Not here...I don't fold KK here, in your situation - he has a large range of hands beyond AA...but there are times to fold KK preflop, even if you're the BB.UTG raises 1500...UTG+1 raises 4500...MP raises 12000, button raises all-in...Do you think your Kings are good?Being strong doesn't mean being stupid...unlike UTG, you haven't committed a penny to this pot, get out of the way.If it turns out they had AQ, AK, and QQ, oh well...record the information for later.A bad fold is better than a bad call, even with KK preflop.btw - people who play to win trust their reads...and if their read says AA, people who play to win fold KK.

btw - people who play to win trust their reads...and if their read says AA, people who play to win fold KK.
Very well saidNow I dont think there is any way you can put this guy on exactly AA, but I love what youre saying here.I make this call everytime but I really dont have a problem with the fold either. You have a healthy stack already and if you feel you have good control of the table, I dont mind taking my chances later. Those red kings are so pretty though. Get em in there and then go kick your dog :club: