• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikki_N

• dolfan

• renaedawn

• jeff_536

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to drink wine and eat french fries. Gourmet.edit: Yep...I liked my own post.

I'm back in the land of cold weather, wind, and snow. I left CA on a day it reached 90 degrees and arrived in Anchorage to 12 degree weather, caught a plane to Unalaska where it was 34 with 2 inches o

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Smacciemac said:

Was there ever any doubt?

I'm shocked! 

21 hours ago, Nikki_N said:

Should I update my avatar?  I'm old now.  

We’re all old now. I just spent 10 minutes trying to remember how to quote a post. I’m still not convinced I’m doing it right. 

5 hours ago, tall0n said:

Do I wanna click that?

I did, seems to be safe enough. You still drinking Woodford exclusively? I got some for a birthday a couple years back. I apologize to you, I was missing out. Between that and Wild Turkey. Good times to be had.

I should have added a description for that link.  YouTube link- Jim Gaffigan- Vegas references.

Things I am reading:

Broken Homes (Book 3 Peter Grant Rivers of London) by Ben Aaronovitch.  I heartily recommend this series.  Modern day London, police procedural, magic is real. 

Copyrighteous by Diana Gill.  I DO NOT recommend this.  If I wasn't doing a book study for license renewal points I would have abandoned this book.  It's boring, taking forever to give me actual information, and I really hate the author's "voice".  Her writing style sucks, imho.  It's like a mediocre blog that never ends.  Ugh.  Not like any of you would read it anyway, because it's a teacher book, but just in case... don't.  

Things I plan to read but who knows when I will get to them (for sure because I will buy/read the next Rivers of London book before picking up one of these that I already own-):

The Playful Classroom by (my favorite teacher of teachers) Jed Dearybury. It just arrived today.

Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert (It was recommended but it's self-helpy so we'll see.  I normally don't like self-help.)

Teach Like a Champion 2.0 (also recommended... we will see)

Daring Greatly by Brene Brown (see my thoughts on Big Magic.)

RA the Mighty Cat Detective (elementary fiction)
Power Forward by Hesa Khan (elementary fiction) This one will get read when school starts because I'm reading it to my 4th graders.  I'll have to read it 7 times to get it read to all the 4th grade classes.  I hope it's good.  

The New Kid by Jerry Craft (middle grade graphic novel and Newbery Award winner for 2020)

Fire and Blood by George R.R. Martin.  I am embarrassed that I haven't read this, yet.

This list of picture books: https://www.ilfonline.org/page/2020-2021YHBAPicture

A bunch of other books on my Kindle and shelves that I bought but haven't read. Bunch=who knows....MANY.

A HUGE STACK OF COMICS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS that I buy from my favorite comic seller because I have a pull list that I hate to tell him to stop pulling because I hate to not give him regular business. However I did recently read Calla Cthulu, Spell on Wheels, and Sex Criminals Volume 1.  They were all fun to read.  If you want them, I'll mail them to you.  

It should be noted that if I would stop bingeing Property Brothers on Hulu and read instead, I would be whittling my to-be-read pile down much more quickly.  I love those adorable brothers and I'm fascinated by spray foam insulation and adding new beams and footings.  Also, who would choose the maintenance monsters of granite or marble when you could have maintenance-free quartz? My kitchen is a gut job.

tl;dr?  Just ramblings..  Unless you want me to mail you graphic novels, then you should read the paragraph about comics and graphic novels.

6 hours ago, Nikki_N said:

Things I am reading:

Broken Homes (Book 3 Peter Grant Rivers of London) by Ben Aaronovitch.  I heartily recommend this series.  Modern day London, police procedural, magic is real. 

Copyrighteous by Diana Gill.  I DO NOT recommend this.  If I wasn't doing a book study for license renewal points I would have abandoned this book.  It's boring, taking forever to give me actual information, and I really hate the author's "voice".  Her writing style sucks, imho.  It's like a mediocre blog that never ends.  Ugh.  Not like any of you would read it anyway, because it's a teacher book, but just in case... don't.  

So does this part mean you are still doing the library thing?

As far as the longer list, I think we all have a bunch of books, comic or otherwise, that we purchase and never get around to reading, I think that is a part of growing up. I'm sure we will all clear up the backlog of books at some point. Maybe when I can't read the TV guide from my chair anymore  :) 

• Like 1

Yes, I am doing the library thing.  I finished my undergrad in Spanish in 2013 and my Masters in Library Science at the end of 2016.  I took a job as the librarian in an elementary school in the fall of 2017.  My library is amazing. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nikki_N said:

Yes, I am doing the library thing.  I finished my undergrad in Spanish in 2013 and my Masters in Library Science at the end of 2016.  I took a job as the librarian in an elementary school in the fall of 2017.  My library was a covid epicenter. 

FYP

5 hours ago, SAM_Hard8 said:

FYP

My library was NOT a covid epicenter.  One of the other schools where I manage the library collection had the covid.