FCPHA: Big Table in the Back

I can't even remember now what I burned for you. Incubus?I'm sort of taking lessons and self teaching both. My brother in law has been playing all his life and is classically trained. He's helping me a lot. I'm also getting help via the net from a guy who is a studio musician - email and webcam lessons, stuff like that. Then, I'm just reading a lot and watching a lot of guitarists play and playing a lot. So I'm really doing a little of everything.I just spent about 20 minutes practicing it with the heel of my hand on the bridge and that really does help a lot. I keep forgetting that it's okay to touch the guitar, you know? I keep pulling away from it when I need to do just the opposite. I end up moving just slightly away because I guess I think I'm gonna change the sound somehow or something and by the end of a song, I'm way out of position. I even do it with my pinky finger when I'm not using it. Like if I'm strumming a C chord or something like that that doesn't require my pinky, my pinky will end up sticking out like it's trying to run away from the rest of my fingers or something. I have to make a conscious effort to keep it right there next to my ring finger. I do that with everything. Fingers, hands, all of it - I just slowly move away from the instrument. I've got to break that habit.So anyway, yeah resting the heel of my hand on the bridge works really well plus I think that will help me to break that moving away habit.
You have to love and caress it! Stroke it and what not. heehee
  • Replies 347.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikki_N

• dolfan

• renaedawn

• jeff_536

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to drink wine and eat french fries. Gourmet.edit: Yep...I liked my own post.

I'm back in the land of cold weather, wind, and snow. I left CA on a day it reached 90 degrees and arrived in Anchorage to 12 degree weather, caught a plane to Unalaska where it was 34 with 2 inches o

Posted Images

Hi Jeff.It's Jeff.
Hey Jeff.-Jeff
I can't even remember now what I burned for you. Incubus?I'm sort of taking lessons and self teaching both. My brother in law has been playing all his life and is classically trained. He's helping me a lot. I'm also getting help via the net from a guy who is a studio musician - email and webcam lessons, stuff like that. Then, I'm just reading a lot and watching a lot of guitarists play and playing a lot. So I'm really doing a little of everything.I just spent about 20 minutes practicing it with the heel of my hand on the bridge and that really does help a lot. I keep forgetting that it's okay to touch the guitar, you know? I keep pulling away from it when I need to do just the opposite. I end up moving just slightly away because I guess I think I'm gonna change the sound somehow or something and by the end of a song, I'm way out of position. I even do it with my pinky finger when I'm not using it. Like if I'm strumming a C chord or something like that that doesn't require my pinky, my pinky will end up sticking out like it's trying to run away from the rest of my fingers or something. I have to make a conscious effort to keep it right there next to my ring finger. I do that with everything. Fingers, hands, all of it - I just slowly move away from the instrument. I've got to break that habit.So anyway, yeah resting the heel of my hand on the bridge works really well plus I think that will help me to break that moving away habit.
There are tons of finger strengthening exercises that you can do to build dexterity, or do it the old fashioned way by playing scales over and over again and going as fast as you can while still playing the notes cleanly. A metronome would be a good idea, as it's a great practice tool not only for speed, but for playing on the beat and working your timing. I have a tuner that's also a metronome, it was like 20 bucks at a local music shop.
Hey Jeff.-JeffThere are tons of finger strengthening exercises that you can do to build dexterity, or do it the old fashioned way by playing scales over and over again and going as fast as you can while still playing the notes cleanly. A metronome would be a good idea, as it's a great practice tool not only for speed, but for playing on the beat and working your timing. I have a tuner that's also a metronome, it was like 20 bucks at a local music shop.
You have an Iphone? Guitar Toolkit for the Iphone is the best $10 I've spent in the last year.
You have an Iphone? Guitar Toolkit for the Iphone is the best $10 I've spent in the last year.
I do. I've never tried that app though. I only download the latest in mind numbing ridiculous games.
Conner and Dave have their first All-Stars game tonight.
You throw the ball, you catch the ball and you hit the ball. Good luck to the guys.Good evening folks, caught up.
Man do I wish I was on non-stop today. I'm in Charlotte. I got a little sleep on my flight last night, though.She didn't buy the shoes that day either, and it's a good thing because Friday we were in Barney's and she found the most gorgeous Manolo's on big time sale. They make her legs look so YUM.I was a bit, but not too bad. Then you can come over and paint mine! Please?
I really love you but no way.....i really hate painting..so it took us 2 weeks to finish but we painted the entire house before they installed the new carpet. As soon as i'm done unpacking and picking out kitchen appliances I will definitely posts pics.
h8July 4th will be my first day off in like 3 months. Working 7 days a week sux, but poker still doesn't feel like work yet so that's cool I guessTaking 3 days off in middle of July and taking a week off first week of August so got that to look forward to.
I just had 32 days off....all paid and non of my vacation time used...i win!!
Yeah all weekend I kept saying "right now I'd be drunk in Vegas".Good news - I got my license back last week, 90 days without driving was nuts.
Jarret is on his 9th month without a license...it sux
kdTJ5IaKcA8CPrWxOhK9.jpg-aP_bBZO8uRvXBpxf-bU.jpgTP6QP0UBj4w2jWQx-C8a.jpgouGpbMGyyRbhE4q8yQzH.jpgLElfpHBaVHaSkS7U63YX.jpgGuess I didn't spend enough $$$ yesterday, upgraded our living room TV to a 55" Flat LCD.Pics later after we get it set up.
nice ride!!!!

J wasn't supposed to be driving when he picked me up? Awesome.I got baked and forgot to register for the Neg O.Now I'm going to walk the dogs and hit the hay, later all.Cards live, pots monsters.

I really love you but no way.....i really hate painting..so it took us 2 weeks to finish but we painted the entire house before they installed the new carpet. As soon as i'm done unpacking and picking out kitchen appliances I will definitely posts pics.I just had 32 days off....all paid and non of my vacation time used...i win!!
You totally win!I can't wait to see your new place.
Jersey's tits look great!
They looked even better in person.
Did they sacrifice a live chicken before the game?
No. I suppose they should have. They didn't win. They started and finished pretty strong, but the middle kind of got away from them. They play again tomorrow.
No. I suppose they should have. They didn't win. They started and finished pretty strong, but the middle kind of got away from them. They play again tomorrow.
You should at least give some rum to Jobu.
You should at least give some rum to Jobu.
I definitely need to do this before Friday's game.

I leave for California on Tuesday. It really snuck up on me quickly. We'll be at Disneyland/Knots Berry Farm until Sunday and then I'll be in San Luis Obispo. I'm supposed to go visit Missy (who's coming to Disney, but I haven't been to her place in forever) and visit Matt and Khym. Also, Dave's aunt from Kentucky fell while visiting California on a trip and hurt herself pretty badly. She's in a nursing home until she can walk again. She's there in the San Jose area and I should stop in and visit her and Dave's uncle. Thing is, I'd really rather just stay in SLO this trip once we return from the LA area. I think I'm going to try to beg out of Sacramento (Missy) and go see Matt and Khym and then jet up to San Jose for an afternoon to see Dave's aunt.