FCPHA: Big Table in the Back

Do you really feel 9/11 has had a bigger impact than the advances that will mean you're likely to live 30 years longer than you were a mere 109 years ago?
I'm not saying it does or doesn't, but how do you quantify all the medical advances of the last 109 years in one 'event'?Edit: I also think you're dramatically underplaying the way that 9/11 effects hundreds of millions of people's lives on a daily basis even now.
  • Replies 347.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikki_N

• dolfan

• renaedawn

• jeff_536

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to drink wine and eat french fries. Gourmet.edit: Yep...I liked my own post.

I'm back in the land of cold weather, wind, and snow. I left CA on a day it reached 90 degrees and arrived in Anchorage to 12 degree weather, caught a plane to Unalaska where it was 34 with 2 inches o

Posted Images

I'm not saying it does or doesn't, but how do you quantify all the medical advances of the last 109 years in one 'event'?
You probably don't. Is reducing Malaria one? Is antibiotics one? Is eradication of smallpox one? Is eradication of polio one?9/11 is so far down the list on a global scale that I don't think I can see it from here.
Arrrrrr, excellent job matey! You should be present'n the Wog to King Neptune so he be record'd on the rolls! :club: it' be a simple ceremony, Call out next time ya'll be up there and I'll tell ya the yarn! arrrr!
I wanna be presented!
no but close.
This really really made me laugh. Really really.
So this happened right outside todayhttp://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/...last/index.htmlwe were outside chilling after lunch....all of a sudden we hear a LOUD boom....None of us moved...we just sat there are were like damn that was loud....we see everyone running inside and this girl is like...hey we need to get inside...i guess with all the gunshots we here everyday....we just figured whatever....it took us a minute to realize what was going on...
When are you coming home?
I'm not saying it does or doesn't, but how do you quantify all the medical advances of the last 109 years in one 'event'?Edit: I also think you're dramatically underplaying the way that 9/11 effects hundreds of millions of people's lives on a daily basis even now.
reply to edit: hundreds of millions only takes into account the U.S.Let me ask you this: 200 years from now, how do you think historians will rank events from 1909-2009?
Putting aside the century/100 year question, simply because there's a war doesn't mean it has been among the most impactful events/discoveries of the last 100 years. Many countries fought in the 'police action' that was Korea. The French were involved in Vietnam beginning in the late 1950s. But that doesn't mean it changed the way all of humanity lives. Certainly, it's affected your life, and the lives of many of your fellow Americans, but it's no where near as 'I'mportant as the advances made in science, medicine, technology, etc.From answers.com: The average life span in the United States in 1900 was forty-nine; in 1998 it was seventy-seven.Do you really feel 9/11 has had a bigger impact than the advances that will mean you're likely to live 30 years longer than you were a mere 109 years ago?When you talk about humanity, I'd wager the top 5 should all be medical/agriculture related. The ability to keep people alive and the ability to feed them. While neither are near perfect, they're several orders of magnitude beyond where they were in 1900.
For once, I absolutely agree with you. So weird. :PI didn't stop reading to answer the question and it would be unfair to do so now seeing as how I'd just be leeching the best answers from those of you who actually have half a brain but I do need to give kudos to Loverbug for first mentioning space travel. That's a fabulous answer. There are hundreds of things in your every day life that were first developed for the space program. Things we never even think about. And that's just the practical answer. There's also that whole other awe-inspiring humanity-uniting thing that happened when we first saw those pictures of our little blue marble from space.
reply to edit: hundreds of millions only takes into account the U.S.Let me ask you this: 200 years from now, how do you think historians will rank events from 1909-2009?
Reply To Your Reply: That's kind of my point. Hundreds of millions in the US, Mexico, the Middle East(all the countries I already listed), the European countries that aided the United States, the Asian countries where Al-Qaeda cells are at.. I mean, outside of a Kenyan Goatherder and apparently Canada, I can't think of one place that isn't still effected by the 9/11 attacks. Second Part: From A-Z? 1-10? With Roman Numerals? What is it you're asking?
For once, I absolutely agree with you. So weird. :PI didn't stop reading to answer the question and it would be unfair to do so now seeing as how I'd just be leeching the best answers from those of you who actually have half a brain but I do need to give kudos to Loverbug for first mentioning space travel. That's a fabulous answer. There are hundreds of things in your every day life that were first developed for the space program. Things we never even think about. And that's just the practical answer. There's also that whole other awe-inspiring humanity-uniting thing that happened when we first saw those pictures of our little blue marble from space.
I think it is pretty impressive how fast science/technology advanced since the first flight in a field to flying a rocket to the moon and even having people living in space. All that was accomplished over a fairly short time period.
I'd like to believe we could've come up with fancy-pants powdered drinks had Tang never come around.

I think 9/11 has the potential to be a major tipping point is the history of mankind but it's not there yet.

200 years? Come on. How would you rank the events from 1609-1709?
Space travel shouldn't count be cause it was done by Americans.-blue
Reply To Your Reply: That's kind of my point. Hundreds of millions in the US, Mexico, the Middle East(all the countries I already listed), the European countries that aided the United States, the Asian countries where Al-Qaeda cells are at.. I mean, outside of a Kenyan Goatherder and apparently Canada, I can't think of one place that isn't still effected by the 9/11 attacks. Second Part: From A-Z? 1-10? With Roman Numerals? What is it you're asking?
I was asking the same question josh asked (worded better, of course, about how a historian would rank the most important events during our time period.
200 years? Come on. How would you rank the events from 1609-1709?
I, sir, am not a historian.
Space travel shouldn't count be cause it was done by Americans.-blue
bullshit, and you know it. Many of the medical and agricultural advances I've referenced have been done by Americans. I just think, sometimes, you all forget that you're about five percent of the world's population and, when ranking 'world' things, you tend not to look and/or think outside your borders.
I was asking the same question josh asked (worded better, of course, about how a historian would rank the most important events during our time period.I, sir, am not a historian.bullshit, and you know it. Many of the medical and agricultural advances I've referenced have been done by Americans. I just think, sometimes, you all forget that you're about half-a-percent of the world's population and, when ranking 'world' things, you tend not to look and/or think outside your borders.
Or a mathematician. 300 million/6 billion = 5%.Edit: According to Wikipedia, 4.53% Canada, is half of one percent, however.
Math is hard. fuck off.
That's kind of interesting though. China represents almost 1/5th of the population (19.65%) and I can't think of all too many huge leaps in medicine, science and technology(aside from the Walk-Man) that have come from China. Not to say there aren't any..just that I can't think of any. Have I fallen victim to propaganda?
bullshit, and you know it. Many of the medical and agricultural advances I've referenced have been done by Americans. I just think, sometimes, you all forget that you're about five percent of the world's population and, when ranking 'world' things, you tend not to look and/or think outside your borders.
overreact to a joke much?
I'd like to believe we could've come up with fancy-pants powdered drinks had Tang never come around.
It's not so much the any one product that's impressive to me, it's that it was the impetus for hundreds of products that are commonplace now.Plus that's not even counting all the practical applications of existing products/technologies. You use Gladware right?