gambling 101 for dreamclown and co.

Someone sent me a link to some threads that have been taking place on other forums. To say "brain dead" would be a little harsh, but clearly these children are missing the obvious truth: Let us look at an example shall we? Let's say that I am shooting free throws against somebody and am winning $95,000. The bet is simple, each shot is worth $5000, if we both make, or both miss we break even. Now for this example, let's assume that I'm an 80% shooter from the line, while my opponent is a 67% shooter making me a favorite. Now, my opponent is down to $5000 and asks me to LITERALLY flip a coin for it and he'll then continue shooting hoops with me. Well, the odds would obviously be 50-50 on the coinflip. Heads I bust him, tails and I get to continue playing as a substancial favorite. Essentially, the better player is a HUGE favorite to win the coinflip! As long as the sucker would continue to shoot hoops with me, I would win that $5000 a very high percentage of the time. Even if the sucker made a stipulation where every time he was down to $5000 we'd flip for it, I would get that $5000. To pass up on the proposition to flip the coin would be passing up on substancial +EV since I would essentially be getting odds on the coinflip. I'd have a 50% chance to win it right away, but even if I lose that coinflip it would allow me to have another bet where I'll make 4 out of 5 baskets compared to my opponent who will only make 2 out of 3. Class dismissed.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone sent me a link to some threads that have been taking place on other forums. To say "brain dead" would be a little harsh, but clearly these children are missing the obvious truth: Let us look at an example shall we? Let's say that I am shooting free throws against somebody and am winning $95,000. The bet is simple, each shot is worth $5000, if we both make, or both miss we break even. Now for this example, let's assume that I'm an 80% shooter from the line, while my opponent is a 67% shooter making me a favorite. Now, my opponent is down to $5000 and asks me to LITERALLY flip a coin for it and he'll then continue shooting hoops with me. Well, the odds would obviously be 50-50 on the coinflip. Heads I bust him, tails and I get to continue playing as a substancial favorite. Essentially, the better player is a HUGE favorite to win the coinflip! As long as the sucker would continue to shoot hoops with me, I would win that $5000 a very high percentage of the time. Even if the sucker made a stipulation where every time he was down to $5000 we'd flip for it, I would get that $5000. To pass up on the proposition to flip the coin would be passing up on substancial +EV since I would essentially be getting odds on the coinflip. I'd have a 50% chance to win it right away, but even if I lose that coinflip it would allow me to have another bet where I'll make 4 out of 5 baskets compared to my opponent who will only make 2 out of 3. Class dismissed.
nh.

i don't think u should even waste your time responding to DreamClown.The guy is obviously a douche, i mean he actually chose the name "DreamClown".enough said.

Also, by their reasoning, couldn't dreamclown just stand up and sit back down with $5000 thus leaving him and you with the same size stack? Would this not negate their (stupid) argument that he is risking $65000 for only 5 BBs?

When it all comes down to it Dreamcloud has figured out that he got lucky against kid poker. If he was to keep playing him with his 65k and kid pokers 5k he would lose in the long run. He is smart but scared that the kid will own him.

not really. if he truly thinks he is better, he would have to reload every time DN doubled up through him, assuming DN did. i'm sure dreamclown thought (perhaps correctly) that DN would raise/cap preflop and on every street with his last $5K hoping for some short term luck or to push him off the pot. against that, the clown did not want to basically coinflip for 5 grand. maybe it's a function of the size of his BR vs. DN's, maybe he dislikes the idea of playing for short term luck, or maybe he really is a huge douche. it depends on your interpretation.

I couldn't agree more. While the is no rule that says you can't walk away a winner. I personally would never ask someone I had down to "re-buy" in order to continue play. Whether there is a strategy behind this tactic or not, it is just plain silly in my opinion. GL D!!!

I couldn't agree more. While the is no rule that says you can't walk away a winner. I personally would never ask someone I had down to "re-buy" in order to continue play. Whether there is a strategy behind this tactic or not, it is just plain silly in my opinion. GL D!!!

Also, by their reasoning, couldn't dreamclown just stand up and sit back down with $5000 thus leaving him and you with the same size stack? Would this not negate their (stupid) argument that he is risking $65000 for only 5 BBs?
That was my thinking. Or merely leave if DN gets over a certain amount and you feel the momentum has shifted.
Someone sent me a link to some threads that have been taking place on other forums.  To say "brain dead" would be a little harsh, but clearly these children are missing the obvious truth:  Let us look at an example shall we?  Let's say that I am shooting free throws against somebody and am winning $95,000.  The bet is simple, each shot is worth $5000, if we both make, or both miss we break even.  Now for this example, let's assume that I'm an 80% shooter from the line, while my opponent is a 67% shooter making me a favorite.  Now, my opponent is down to $5000 and asks me to LITERALLY flip a coin for it and he'll then continue shooting hoops with me.    Well, the odds would obviously be 50-50 on the coinflip.  Heads I bust him, tails and I get to continue playing as a substancial favorite.  Essentially, the better player is a HUGE favorite to win the coinflip!  As long as the sucker would continue to shoot hoops with me, I would win that $5000 a very high percentage of the time.  Even if the sucker made a stipulation where every time he was down to $5000 we'd flip for it, I would get that $5000.    To pass up on the proposition to flip the coin would be passing up on substancial +EV since I would essentially be getting odds on the coinflip.    I'd have a 50% chance to win it right away, but even if I lose that coinflip it would allow me to have another bet where I'll make 4 out of 5 baskets compared to my opponent who will only make 2 out of 3.      Class dismissed.
Funny you say this Daniel, but as I pointed out on NWP, you made the complete opposite argument when you were on the OTHER end of the "stack" in your lame "tourist" post. The one where you so proudly claimed how great a guy you were by giving all the tourist at a 5/10 game a chance to flip their entire stack (trip money/mortgage money, etc) for a chance at your 150k stack. Funny, but back then you seemed to think that the short stacks were the one with the "big" advantage! Seems a bit hypocritical to me.So, what again were you trying to teach?
Someone sent me a link to some threads that have been taking place on other forums.  To say "brain dead" would be a little harsh, but clearly these children are missing the obvious truth:  Let us look at an example shall we?  Let's say that I am shooting free throws against somebody and am winning $95,000.  The bet is simple, each shot is worth $5000, if we both make, or both miss we break even.  Now for this example, let's assume that I'm an 80% shooter from the line, while my opponent is a 67% shooter making me a favorite.  Now, my opponent is down to $5000 and asks me to LITERALLY flip a coin for it and he'll then continue shooting hoops with me.    Well, the odds would obviously be 50-50 on the coinflip.  Heads I bust him, tails and I get to continue playing as a substancial favorite.  Essentially, the better player is a HUGE favorite to win the coinflip!  As long as the sucker would continue to shoot hoops with me, I would win that $5000 a very high percentage of the time.  Even if the sucker made a stipulation where every time he was down to $5000 we'd flip for it, I would get that $5000.    To pass up on the proposition to flip the coin would be passing up on substancial +EV since I would essentially be getting odds on the coinflip.    I'd have a 50% chance to win it right away, but even if I lose that coinflip it would allow me to have another bet where I'll make 4 out of 5 baskets compared to my opponent who will only make 2 out of 3.      Class dismissed.
Funny you say this Daniel, but as I pointed out on NWP, you made the complete opposite argument when you were on the OTHER end of the "stack" in your lame "tourist" post. The one where you so proudly claimed how great a guy you were by giving all the tourist at a 5/10 game a chance to flip their entire stack (trip money/mortgage money, etc) for a chance at your 150k stack. Funny, but back then you seemed to think that the short stacks were the one with the "big" advantage! Seems a bit hypocritical to me.So, what again were you trying to teach?
That's the beauty in the difference between Limit and no limit, isn't it?If I sit with 200, I can double in one hand, to 400. Next hand to 800. Next hand to 1600. Do you see why that's not the same as Limit?

I would like to thank you for explaining why this dreamCLOWN's is doing everything wrong. Just as older players showed him the ropes of being a true pro DN is passing this priceless knowledge on to all of us. DN could of simpley called Dreamclown stupid names or attacked his abilities. Instead he has used him as an example to others to help prevent more dreamCLOWNS from taking over the poker world. I am also glad to see that the posters at FCP are far more mature than the junior high kids that seem to be running other forums.Though poker may not be a game about who makes the most friends being a turdburgaler like DC is -EV

Reading comprehension. Generally taught in 2nd through 5th grade. Look into it.There is no inherent advantage due to stack size. The advantage in Daniel's free throw example is due to the edge at shooting free throws.This should be simple enough for a 15 year old to understand. Keep struggling with it if you need to.
He didn't say anything about the short-stack having an advantage in that explanation. He just said that in that particular No-Limit Game having one person sit with a lot more chips then everyone else is not a disadvantage. The better player will win more money over the long haul no matter what the stacks of both players are, plain and simple.

The NWP'ers cannot think for themselves. Dreamclown makes up some crazy, dumb BS about not playing short stacks in order to justify his hit and run since he knows he got lucky, and most of the NWP'ers immediately believe it instead of realizing how ridiculous it is. It reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes. But stupid Doucheclown never should have opened his mouth because now, DN will gladly take Doucheclown's much smaller bankroll just as the clown should've taken DN smaller stack if he thought he was so much better.

Are you serious. Nobody was shortstacked in the nl game, they were shortstacked compared to him. They had all day to wait for a good hand try to double up as an 80% favorite, how are they at a disadvantage? Please don't be stupid anymore. In the limit game Daniel was shortstacked so they were flipping a coin for the last of the money. If someone with 2000 dollars at a 5/10 nl game decides he has to call a huge rage from daniel with any hand then he is playing poorly in looking to "flip a coin." Please try to understand concepts before posting.

He didn't say anything about the short-stack having an advantage in that explanation. He just said that in that particular No-Limit Game having one person sit with a lot more chips then everyone else is not a disadvantage. The better player will win more money over the long haul no matter what the stacks of both players are, plain and simple.
You're wrong. Absolutely wrong. Daniel was making the argument that the better players have the advantage IF the blinds & pots stay small. Then, he goes on to say how he kept on raising people all-in (putting them to a flip). He goes on to explain how great it was for those at the table to be able to play their $2k for a chance at his $150k, and how big of an advantage it was for them because HE was the one taking the big risk. I'm not going to argue with the fanboy nation. Just pointing out the hypocricy. Class dismissed.