shimmering wang's magnificent music exchange program

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought of another.Genre: Alternative RockBand: The TheAlbum: Mind BombSong: Kingdom Of RainA very hauntingly deep look at the breakup of a relationship with both male and female perspective. Sinead O'Connor (before her rise to fame) duets on this song. You can check out http://thethe.com/sections/jukebox/jukebox.html, click on Mind Bomb and click on the song and listen for free. If you like songs with lots of atmosphere, you will love The The.

If you like songs with lots of atmosphere, you will love The The.
plus as an added bonus, you can sing along to Good Morning Beautiful and Armageddon Days are Here as the US engages in its latest exciting middle east adventure. fun for the whole family :club:

genre: alternative/progressive rockartist: porcupine treesong: the sound of muzakalbum: in absentiabest band in the world, hands down. fans of tool, radiohead, the mars volta, please do yourself a favor and check these guys out.

If you like songs with lots of atmosphere, you will love The The.
plus as an added bonus, you can sing along to Good Morning Beautiful and Armageddon Days are Here as the US engages in its latest exciting middle east adventure. fun for the whole family :club:
OMG. Another The The fan. The whole album is great. Yeah, some of the lyrics on The The songs reminds me of the political and religous debates that have been in Off Topic over the past year.If you feel man and religion is our own worst enemy, then you will appreciate a lot of The The's music.
Thought of another.Genre: Alternative RockBand: The TheAlbum: Mind BombSong: Kingdom Of RainA very hauntingly deep look at the breakup of a relationship with both male and female perspective. Sinead O'Connor (before her rise to fame) duets on this song. You can check out http://thethe.com/sections/jukebox/jukebox.html, click on Mind Bomb and click on the song and listen for free. If you like songs with lots of atmosphere, you will love The The.
I was actually just getting ready to post, "This is the Day", by The The. It's, amazing.

Style: Folk Rock/Alt-CountryBand: Wilco & Billy BraggSong: California StarsAlbum: Mermaid AvenueI wasn't sure exactly how to classify this song, but it comes from a GREAT album. Wilco (pre-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) and Billy Bragg teamed up to do an album using lyrics to Woody Guthrie songs that had never been released. This is my favorite track from the album. The song was actually a minor hit, so it's not as obscure as some of my other choices. It's a great song though, definitely worth your time.

I was actually just getting ready to post, "This is the Day", by The The. It's, amazing.
Wow. Another great song. (Recently use in a commercial but I can not remember which commercial. I was surprised.)I am also surprised that anyone on here knows the band because 1. It's obscure and 2. It's old.

Style: Jam Band/GospelBand: Robert Randolph & The Family BandSong: I Need More LoveAlbum: UnclassifiedMany people on here have probably heard of or listen to Robert Randolph & The Family Band....if you don't, I highly recommend it, they are phenomenal. It is just uplifting music with a touch of jam band in it. They opened for Clapton on their latest tour....I was actually fortunate enough to meet Randolph & crew at Indiana University when they came there, got to hang out with them for a bit, real cool group. This is my favorite track from the album. Worth a download for sure.

Style: Folk Rock/Alt-CountryBand: Wilco & Billy BraggSong: California StarsAlbum: Mermaid AvenueI wasn't sure exactly how to classify this song, but it comes from a GREAT album. Wilco (pre-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) and Billy Bragg teamed up to do an album using lyrics to Woody Guthrie songs that had never been released. This is my favorite track from the album. The song was actually a minor hit, so it's not as obscure as some of my other choices. It's a great song though, definitely worth your time.
Good call. I was thinking about adding something from the Bragg/Wilco collabs, but figured most people who like Wilco had already heard it, and putting in the "Alt-Country" category might be a turnoff, so I was holding off.Category: Rock (alt-country, but not exactly on this song)Band: My Morning JacketSong: O is the One That is RealA great song by a great band that's just now getting the respect they deserve. I just think this song rocksCategory: Weird Folk Rock/ WeirdBand: Animal CollectiveSong(s): Who Could Win a Rabbit/ Winters LoveAlbum: Sung TongsAnother typical indie-fare suggestion, but if you've never heard Animal Collective and are in an experimental mood, try listening to these songs. I'll admit, it might take awhile, but after a few listens it'll get stuck in your head and never leave.Wang
Wow. Another great song. (Recently use in a commercial but I can not remember which commercial. I was surprised.)I am also surprised that anyone on here knows the band because 1. It's obscure and 2. It's old.
It was at the end of Empire Records, when they're dancing on the roof--that's when I first heard it. It was a pain in the ass to look up "The The" on Google. :club:

Genre: Indie Pop/Rock - Guitar PopBand: The ShinsSong: "Gone For Good"Album: Chutes Too NarrowOkay, so you want to punch Zach Braff in the nuts because your older sister's musically idiotic, ex-jock, 31-year-old husband told you how much he likes The Shins, while you--you were there from the start: you loved Oh, Inverted World; you saw the simplistic magnificence of James Mercer's songwriting, you loved the vocal harmonies, and you were glad to hear a band comfortable enough to just play guitars and sound really, really fucking good. Kid A be damned!! But alas, my hipster friend, you are wrong to desire a throbbing groin for Mr. Braff. See, here's the thing: great bands are eventually discovered and well-loved by the masses. It happens. Nirvana wasn't gonna stay on Sub Pop forever. It doesn't make you any less cool because your sister's husband likes them. I know how easily the musical elitist's ego is bruised and how the musical elitist's typical response to that bruising is to lash back at the band they once felt was their own--something special that they could tell others about, something they could pass along to those they felt deserving...but that has never made any sense to me. Just because your Dad might be cruisin' the suburbs in his SUV listening to "Gone for Good" doesn't change the fact that lines like "I found a fatal flaw in the logic of love" are pretty hard to come by. This is still our music; your Dads and brothers-in-law aren't listening for the same reasons we are.Genre: ElectronicaArtist: Ellen AllienSong: "Alles Sehen"Album: BerlinetteThis German DJ/producer/label magnate just might be the illest female in the biz. Blending traditional elements of dance music with the creative exploration of the electronic torchbearers at Warp Records, Ellen gets at something really special here. Wicked beats, big-ass synths, mash-up vocal sampling, and all of it coming together for a surprisingly accessible, poppy result. Her 2005 album Thrills would make my top 5 of the year. If you were previously unaware of her, seek her out immediately. Her label, BPitch Control Records has been issuing some of the most progressive electronic pop music around for a while now. Get on it!Genre: Electronica/Microtonal/Avant Garde/Electro-AcousticArtist: Christopher WillitsSong: "Mesh, Then"Album: Folding, and the TeaCalifornia-based guitar deconstructionist Willits makes music that will blow your mind. This stuff kinda makes Jonny Greenwood sound like Ted Nugent or Clapton or [insert boring, old guy guitarist here]. The releases on Taylor Deupree's 12k label are universally excellent, challenging listens. Check it out here: http://www.12k.com/More later...

Genre: Alternative Country/Country RockBand: Cross Canadian RagweedSongs: "17"/ "Boys From Oklahoma"Albums: Purple/ Live and Loud at Billy Bob'sIm not sure if there is such a thing as Alternative country but that is the best description that I can come up with for these guys. I generally detest country music, but I really enjoy this band. In addition to the songs above I also highly recommend "Carney Man" and "Nymphomaniac"MJ

Genre: Hip HopArtist: Immortal TechniqueSong: Dance With The DevilThis song is really narrative, reminescent of something like "The Message" from Grandmaster Flash, and has a haunting, driving violin that adds to its sad message.

Genre: Hip-Hop, Blues, Funk...hell I don't know...Band: Fun Lovin' CriminalsAlbum: Welcome To Poppy'sTrack: Friday NightYou might have heard of this band from the movie, "The Big Hit" (doubtful...it was awful) or heard a remix floating around with the restaurant robbery scene from, "Pulp Fiction" (much more likely). Anyways, I'm not sure why these guys haven't caught on here in states, as they're huge in the UK, they've been around since '96. The best word I can use to describe this song is 'schmoove', it's just good chill music. If you like it, then I recomend picking up 'Come Find Yourself' their debut album or '100% Columbian' their 2nd release. What sucks is their albums for the most part are available as Import only, which blows dead baby bears.

first off, gordon lightfoot and neil young mentioned in the same sentence makes me want to vomit. and now on to the show. style: early 90's east coast hip-hop. beats.artist: diamond dalbum: stunts blunt and hip-hopsong: **** what ya hearddiamond d was a producer affiliated with the ditc posse if i recall. anyway he sent some beats to an A&R and they told him they would only listen to it if he had rhymes with it, so he bs'd some rhymes over a few tracks. this lead to him getting a deal and putting out an album. hes more of a producer than a rapper, but hes pretty good, the album has lot of good guests, and bombass production throughout. no idea why i bothered, nobody is gonna read this, or seek it out, or be able to find it.

• 2 weeks later...
first off, gordon lightfoot and neil young mentioned in the same sentence makes me want to vomit. and now on to the show.  style: early 90's east coast hip-hop. beats.artist: diamond dalbum: stunts blunt and hip-hopsong: censored what ya hearddiamond d was a producer affiliated with the ditc posse if i recall. anyway he sent some beats to an A&R and they told him they would only listen to it if he had rhymes with it, so he bs'd some rhymes over a few tracks. this lead to him getting a deal and putting out an album. hes more of a producer than a rapper, but hes pretty good, the album has lot of good guests, and bombass production throughout. no idea why i bothered, nobody is gonna read this, or seek it out, or be able to find it.
I wanna know one thing. Are you ready for the Super Brother? I found the Diamond albumn on emusic. I have enjoyed it. I haven't found stunts blunts etc. yet though. My favorite song so far is "Live and Let Die"style: hip-hop. beats.artist: Odd Nosdamalbum: No More Wig For Ohiosongs to try: Trak 21 ( I am in a Jan Hammerish mood) & Trak 23Cause he is the best at it. Get the whole albumn. Its like Pink Floyd making beats. Odd Nosdam could easily make the first classical/hip hop albumn if he wanted to.p.s. I love me some Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot
Classic RockPink FloydBrain DamageDark Side of The MoonA few words can be said about this album. Best Ever. It was on the top 50 for over 350 WEEKS, not days. It gets you into a very relaxed state. Pink Floyd is one of the greatest and most influential bands out there. Remember:There is no dark side of the moon. As a matter of fact, its all dark really.
My buddies and I used to eat mushrooms and watch Wizard of Oz/DSOM sync'd up while we were in college. Lifechanging to say the least.