shimmering wang's magnificent music exchange program

Genre: ReggaeBand: Damian 'Jr. Gong' MarleySong: Educated Fools, More Justice, Stand A Chance Album: Halfway TreeIn my opinion, Damian Marley has the lyrical fire of his dad. His music is a good blend of dancehall, hip hop, and roots reggae. The only thing I don't like are the little rap bits.He's one of the best young reggae artists out there, along with Buju Banton.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genre: Old-School Punk RockBand: Social DistortionSong: Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash cover) Album: Live at the RoxyThe first time I ever heard this song was at Woodstock 99, Mike Ness was performing as a solo artist and busted out this classic Cash tune as part of his set. Amazing tribute, absolutely has to be heard live.

Classic RockNeil YoungHelplessGreatest Hits AlbumNeil Young is another one of the great songwriters. His songs Helpless and Old man show how great of a songwriter he is. He also writes songs based on true stories like Ohio and Tired Eyes. Neil Young is an all aroung great singer. I give the album a 5/5
His latest album "Pairie Wind" is also awesomeI would argue that Neil Young should not be in the catagory Classic Rock but rather some catagory like Folk/Canadianna. Also in that catagory would be Gordon Lightfoot, I recommend his greatest hits album, specificallythe song "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald"

Classic RockJohn HiattFeels Like RainLive at BudakanThis is a great song. Lyrics are fantastic, great guitar. John Hiatt is alot like Bob Dylan. This is the song my gf and I danced to on our first date. It's got all the qualities of a good song. I'd download the song, not the album. Give the album a 3/5

I'm especially excited to listen to the Jim O'Rourke stuff.  I've been hearing his name for years (as a big Wilco/Sonic Youth fan), but didn't know much about him.Wang
you'll love it. i celebrate his entire catalog.mike
I'm especially excited to listen to the Jim O'Rourke stuff.  I've been hearing his name for years (as a big Wilco/Sonic Youth fan), but didn't know much about him.Wang
you'll love it. i celebrate his entire catalog.mike
Yeah, I went on a little O'Rampage last night, and am enjoying more and more every time I listen. I can really hear his influence on Jeff Tweedy.Always a good day when you can casually drop an Office Space reference w/o stretching.Wang

Genre: Typical underappreciated LA Band Artist: Distorted PonySong: Hod, The first song I like all the songs.Album: The Punishment RoomMay be the most under appreciated albumn recorded by Steve Albini (Big Black, Shellac..etc)

Genre: Piano Love Songs? I dunno...Artist: Anthony and the JohnsonsSong: Hope There's SomeoneSorry for the kinda typical offerings so far, but I'm reading Pitchfork's "year end" lists for albums and singles. I think I like the day those lists come out more than Christmas Day....If you can't get a beej by making some girl listen to Anthony and the Johnsons, then you're not a real man.Wang

Genre: Hasidic Jewish ReggaeBand: MatisyahuSong: King Without A CrownAlbum: Live At Stubb'sone of those jewish guys that always wear black and look amish, exept this one does reggae and raps. the album is a live preformance that is really top notch as far as recording and sound quality. the song is pretty catchy and with the three person band backing him up they have a sound that reminds me of sublime. jewish reggae might sound wierd to some, but this is real reggae, religious in the same way bob marley was, just about a different religion.

Genre: Techno/Ambient/ElectronicaBand: LaikaAlbum: Silver Apples of the MoonSong: Marimba Song, If You Missfrom allmusic.com(which you should all know about also)"Laika travelled the spaceways, forging a distinct and wildly experimental fusion of hip-hop, jazz, electronica, dub and Krautrock without earthly precedent." Just listen to them. Ive heard a decent amount of electronica, and Laika and Tricky are the 2 best groups.Genre: Industrial/Gothic/NoiseBand: SwansAlbum: the Great AnnihilatorSong: the Great AnnihilatorIm not really sure how to describe them because they fall between so many genres. Instead let me list some bands that if you like, you should listen to the Swans because they're as good or better than any of these bands. Nine Inch Nails, Tool, a Perfect Circle, Bauhaus, Sonic Youth, Nick Cave.they are definitely not for everyone, but if you have ever liked any "darker" music, you should listen to the Swans.

Style: Indie, Lo-Fi, AlternativeBand: Beat HappeningSong: Other SideAlbum: Black CandyI just think that Beat Happening is a very interesting band....they remind me of Belle & Sebastian. This song has a very lo-fi, indie sound to it, but is actually quite catchy. Gets the mbreon seal of approval.

Style: Hmm...hard time coming up for a style for his kind of music, so I'll just say that it sounds like Brian Eno music would in the `80sBand: Brian Eno & John CaleSong: Spinning AwayAlbum: Wrong Way UpBrian Eno, for those who don't know, is the legendary artist/producer who is credited with bringing ambient music to the forefront...he also produced many famous bands/albums (U2's Unforgettable Fire & Joshua Tree, Talking Heads' Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues, etc.) teams up with John Cale, legendary member of the Velvet Underground, in an album that I would highly recommend. Spinning Away is my favorite track, as it just seems ripe for some kind of movie soundtrack. Anyway, the Eno/Cale collaboration is one that should not be missed, I would recommend getting the entire album, but try this track first.....

Genre: pop/rockBand: Ben FoldsSong: The LuckiestAlbum: Rockin' the SuberbsGenre: Christian Punk/SkaBand: Five Iron FrenzySong: Every New DayAlbums: Proof That the Youth Are Revolting (live version, i like this better than the original)or: Our Newest Album Ever (not as good)

Genre: Old School Reggae mixed with FunkBand: Third WorldSong: Now That We Found LoveAlbum: Journey To AddisOriginally done by the O'Jays and then recorded by Third World. This song is so catchy. It blends a funky American Disco beat with the flavors of the Carribean. Later, the song was covered by Heavy D. To me, Third World will always have the best version of the song.Genre: New Wave Funk/PopBand: Jerry HarrisonSong: Rev It UpAlbum: Casual GodsJerry Harrison was the keyboard player and sometimes guitarist for the Talking Heads. Rev It Up is a funky and sexy song that unfortunately got limited air play. This song is a lot of fun.