shimmering wang's magnificent music exchange program

Classic RockPink FloydBrain DamageDark Side of The MoonA few words can be said about this album. Best Ever. It was on the top 50 for over 350 WEEKS, not days. It gets you into a very relaxed state. Pink Floyd is one of the greatest and most influential bands out there. Remember:There is no dark side of the moon. As a matter of fact, its all dark really.
My buddies and I used to eat mushrooms and watch Wizard of Oz/DSOM sync'd up while we were in college. Lifechanging to say the least.
I'm just pissed because he said "Brain Damage" and decided it wasn't worth of being followed up by it's companion "Eclipse." What kind of Floyd fan are you?If you love the Floyd, you gotta listen to the Flaming Lips. Too many people STILL haven't heard The Soft Bulletin. I think it might be a top 20 all time album. And I'm picky. And put Dark Side at like 8
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just censored because he said "Brain Damage" and decided it wasn't worth of being followed up by it's companion "Eclipse." What kind of Floyd fan are you?If you love the Floyd, you gotta listen to the Flaming Lips. Too many people STILL haven't heard The Soft Bulletin. I think it might be a top 20 all time album. And I'm picky. And put Dark Side at like 8
I have plugged The Soft Bulletin at least 5-6 times in past threads, but it falls on deaf ears. I'm glad that someone else out there appreciates it. I'm not sure about a top 20 all-time album, though it is my favorite Flaming Lips album. And I put Dark Side in my top 10 also, as well as The Wall.
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm really bored so I'm bumping this.Genre: Electronica/Post-Rock/ExperimentalBand: FenneszSong: "Circassian"Album: Venice (2004)Christian Fennesz makes guitar music that stands alongside other massively influential artists like My Bloody Valentine, Joy Division and Sonic Youth. He constructs supremely beautiful soundscapes using just his guitar and computer, and unlike many of the laptop guitarists, he is interested in songs and melody instead of simply noise. The lush digital textures of "Circassian" are sculpted into a simple I-V-IV progression, but the chords mesh and fall in such an organic, tasteful manner that the song emotes a nostalgia and longing that is rarely found in the often sterile world of electronic music.Genre: Electronica/DancehallBand: M.I.A.Song: "Pull Up the People"Album: Arular (2005)She hasn't made much headway in the states, but I think a few years down the road a lot of people will be pointing to this album as a turning point in modern music. It's a total mashup of styles, and she did it with very little help. It's a pretty astonishing debut, full of stellar beats and fun rhymes - a party album that rewards a close listen.Genre: Electronica/DubstepBand: BurialSong: "Distant Lights"Album: Burial [HDBCD001] (2006)Dubstep is the sound right now, and this was the album of 2006. Ominous as hell, this record imagines London in the aftermath of a Katrina-like event - an event that is predicted to occur within the next 20 years. Relentlessly inventive.

Genre: Reggae/Funk/RockBand: DispatchSong: "Even"Album: Who Are We Living For? (2000)Note: this song is just rock, but as a whole Dispatch covers many genres. You can listen to many of their songs streaming on their website. Others I recommend are The General, Elias, Open Up, and more...

Indie/post-hardcoreartist: mewithoutYoualbum: catch for us the foxessong: January 1979It's hard for me to narrow down one song I think you guys should check out. If you like this song, then do yourself a favor and check out the rest of their catalogue. This is probably the most accessible of their harder songs. This band means a lot to me.okay, nevermind, I'm reccing another one.Indie/post-hardcoreartist mewithoutYoualbum: Brother, Sistersong: In a sweater poorly knitThis is their latest album and the last song on that album. It's starkly different from the song I first listed, as it's much softer with much more singing instead of shouting. It's a beautiful beautiful song. I first heard the song a few months before the album came out because they ended their set at one of their shows with it. It is one of those songs that just left me standing in place with my jaw open(ya, I may have teared up a little bit, so what, wanna fight about it?)

Genre: ClassicalComposer: Sergei Rachmaninoff (my favorite interpretation is Lazar Berman)Concerto (part of one, anyway): Finale of his third, in D minor.For a long time people just wouldn't play Rachmaninoff (although it's greatly exaggerated in the movie Shine, if you've seen it). His third concerto is almost impossible to play, unless you have 25 fingures, which he clearly did. If you know anything about Classical music, Rachy's about as Russian as it gets, stylistically. You've probably heard the more memorable, Chopan-esque melody parts before, but try paying attention to the piano, early on in paticular.

genre: screamo( i think thats what the kids today call it,i just think its a mix of punk and metal)band: boys night outsong: 2 actually " the subtleties that make mass murderers out of decent human beings" and "where we breathe" tho the entire album just freakin rocks if your into heavy melodic stuff.after i got this album i rushed out and got all the other ones they have. sadly the other 2 really suckthis is a fantastic idea by the way

I set my iTunes playlist to random, and I am posting the first 10 songs I come across.Artist - Garth BrooksSong - Wild HorsesComments - Not a big fan of country, but I will say that almost anything he puts out (with the exception of Chris Gaines stuff) is pure gold.Artist - Elvis Presely Song - Suspicious MindsComments - Never cared for Elvis until I started playing guitar. One of the greatest music icons of all time, and that goes without saying. But I said it anyways :club: Artist - Stevie WonderSong - Sir DukeComments - The opening riff is incredibly recognizable by almost everyone. This song is guaranteed to get you moving.Artist - Billie HollidaySong - These Foolish ThingsComments - Not my favorite version, but overall a very enjoyable classic.Artist - Billy JoelSong - Scenes From an Italian RestaurantComments - Such a great song by a great songwriter. He's the reason I'm going to learn how to play the piano.Artist - Jason MrazSong - Burning Bridges (Unreleased Demo)Comments - This guy does it all! Raps (pretty good for a white guy whos name isn't Eminem), has a great voice and always puts on a great show. This is one of his acoustic demos. Amazing vocals and lyrics on this one.Artist - Stephen LynchSong - If I Were GayComments - Out of all the comedian/songwriters out there, he's my favorite. You've probably seen his special on Comedy Central. Artist - Joe SatrianiSong - Secret PrayerComments - My old guitar teacher tuned me into Satriani. He's responsible for making instrumental rock guitar what it is today. He's tutored the likes of Steve Vai, Kirk Hammet, and Trey Anastacio.Artist - NasSong - HalftimeComments - There is no greater lyricist out there in the mainstream. Not Biggie, not Pac, definetely not Jay-Z. The only one that even comes remotely close is Eminem. If you've never listened to Illmatic, buy it right now. 11 tracks and only 39 minutes long, it is without a doubt, the best rap album ever. Artist - Jeffrey GainesSong - I know a ManComments - If you like acoustic rock, then check this guy out. Very rough, but soothing voice. Songwriting is also pretty damn good.

I set my iTunes playlist to random, and I am posting the first 10 songs I come across.Artist - Garth BrooksSong - Wild HorsesComments - Not a big fan of country, but I will say that almost anything he puts out (with the exception of Chris Gaines stuff) is pure gold.Artist - Elvis Presely Song - Suspicious MindsComments - Never cared for Elvis until I started playing guitar. One of the greatest music icons of all time, and that goes without saying. But I said it anyways :club: Artist - Stevie WonderSong - Sir DukeComments - The opening riff is incredibly recognizable by almost everyone. This song is guaranteed to get you moving.Artist - Billie HollidaySong - These Foolish ThingsComments - Not my favorite version, but overall a very enjoyable classic.Artist - Billy JoelSong - Scenes From an Italian RestaurantComments - Such a great song by a great songwriter. He's the reason I'm going to learn how to play the piano.Artist - Jason MrazSong - Burning Bridges (Unreleased Demo)Comments - This guy does it all! Raps (pretty good for a white guy whos name isn't Eminem), has a great voice and always puts on a great show. This is one of his acoustic demos. Amazing vocals and lyrics on this one.Artist - Stephen LynchSong - If I Were GayComments - Out of all the comedian/songwriters out there, he's my favorite. You've probably seen his special on Comedy Central. Artist - Joe SatrianiSong - Secret PrayerComments - My old guitar teacher tuned me into Satriani. He's responsible for making instrumental rock guitar what it is today. He's tutored the likes of Steve Vai, Kirk Hammet, and Trey Anastacio.Artist - NasSong - HalftimeComments - There is no greater lyricist out there in the mainstream. Not Biggie, not Pac, definetely not Jay-Z. The only one that even comes remotely close is Eminem. If you've never listened to Illmatic, buy it right now. 11 tracks and only 39 minutes long, it is without a doubt, the best rap album ever. Artist - Jeffrey GainesSong - I know a ManComments - If you like acoustic rock, then check this guy out. Very rough, but soothing voice. Songwriting is also pretty damn good.
"Mainstream" being the key word. Almost everyone who's anything underground is better lyrically than everyone mainstream. I always hated hip-hop, except this album, until I was turned on to all these guys I'd never heard of; Kool Keith, MF Doom, Mr. Lif, Prince Paul, Edan, et cetera. There's a whole other side of hip-hop that's not about commiting crimes, and they're all actually witty, and have something to say. And the YinYang Twings outsell them all put together.
"Mainstream" being the key word. Almost everyone who's anything underground is better lyrically than everyone mainstream. I always hated hip-hop, except this album, until I was turned on to all these guys I'd never heard of; Kool Keith, MF Doom, Mr. Lif, Prince Paul, Edan, et cetera. There's a whole other side of hip-hop that's not about commiting crimes, and they're all actually witty, and have something to say. And the YinYang Twings outsell them all put together.
Mainstream hip hop now a days just makes my ears bleed. I agree with you, underground is where the true talent is. A Tribe Called Quest is another group of real talent.
Mainstream hip hop now a days just makes my ears bleed. I agree with you, underground is where the true talent is. A Tribe Called Quest is another group of real talent.
They were somewhat big in their day, though. I left out Mos Def, too, just because he's a little too popular.
Don't get carried away, Illmatic is a masterpiece. Nas is just as talented, if not more, than anybody you mentioned.
Don't get carried away, Illmatic is a masterpiece. Nas is just as talented, if not more, than anybody you mentioned.
Well yeah, I didn't mean to include Nas with everyone else. Illmatic is still my favorite hip-hip album ever. But, lyrically, I think some of the people there are better. Not by miles or anything, but Nas just doesn't have to same vocabulary Paul has. I'm not saying Paul is better in general, but c'mon.
Well yeah, I didn't mean to include Nas with everyone else. Illmatic is still my favorite hip-hip album ever. But, lyrically, I think some of the people there are better. Not by miles or anything, but Nas just doesn't have to same vocabulary Paul has. I'm not saying Paul is better in general, but c'mon.
Alright, fine, I'll give you Paul. He's amazing, we all know it. Aside from him though, I would take Nas over everybody else you mentioned, aside from maybe Doom. This is mainly because I have a personal love for MF Doom.
Alright, fine, I'll give you Paul. He's amazing, we all know it. Aside from him though, I would take Nas over everybody else you mentioned, aside from maybe Doom. This is mainly because I have a personal love for MF Doom.
I do too. I think Nas > Doom, lyrics-wise, and everything, though. I think we're in agreement here, pretty much. I don't even think a ranking here is necessary or plausible

Artist - Brad PaisleySong - She's EverythingComments - Another country star that I enjoy listening to. Well known for his twangy, but soulful voice and guitar chops. Here's a tip to the guys out there. Sing this song to a lady. If you have a moderately good voice, you will probably get laid.

I love underground hip hop, but I think Nas is undeniably one of the greatest MC's in hip hop history, mainstream or not.My contribution to the exchange program:Artist: Regina SpektorSong: On The RadioAlbum: Begin To HopeGenre: Indie/Singer-Songwriter/Awesome/I'm Not Good At Genres
I love underground hip hop, but I think Nas is undeniably one of the greatest MC's in hip hop history, mainstream or not.My contribution to the exchange program:Artist: Regina SpektorSong: On The RadioAlbum: Begin To HopeGenre: Indie/Singer-Songwriter/Awesome/I'm Not Good At Genres
I love they way she speaks. I want to bone her, based mostly on her speaking voice.
Wow.... I haven't seen this thread in over a year. I must have missed it when it got bumped the last few times. I didn't even see MK mention the Christian Fennesz suggestion, and I've been listening to Endless Summer the past few days.And Doom is probably my favorite MC, but that changes day to day. There's a lot of underappreciated talent out there.Wang
Wow.... I haven't seen this thread in over a year. I must have missed it when it got bumped the last few times. I didn't even see MK mention the Christian Fennesz suggestion, and I've been listening to Endless Summer the past few days.And Doom is probably my favorite MC, but that changes day to day. There's a lot of underappreciated talent out there.Wang
Any of you guys listen to Aesop Rock? no regrets is a pretty tight underground rap song, Sage Francis seems pretty talented as well