disconnection ethics

Ive been thinking about this since I saw that happen..I think I might sit out. not sure though..65k is life changing for me at this point and I might be willing to do the unethical thing to get it. I guess no one can really say what they'd do unless they were in that situation themselves.
meh...in the heat of the moment Id probably get a boner if the dude disconected. then Id break my mouse stealing. if I had a 300k br and a loft on Ocean Avenue I might be nicer to the other guy.
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brothers touching
You're starting to creep me out, I digress.
Man..If I had a dollar for every time I heard that from a good lookin' woman I could sit in the Big Game.
First of all, if you are in any way implying or thinking that I'm a woman, you're in for an unpleasant (or pleasant, depending on your latent status) surprise. As good looking as I am, it's a penis having, broad shouldered good looking.Secondly and finally, I call bullshiz, because there is probably one out of one hundred thousand good looking women that would use the word digress, and you haven't heard from that many women.
brothers touching
You're starting to creep me out, I digress.
Man..If I had a dollar for every time I heard that from a good lookin' woman I could sit in the Big Game.
First of all, if you are in any way implying or thinking that I'm a woman, you're in for an unpleasant (or pleasant, depending on your latent status) surprise. As good looking as I am, it's a penis having, broad shouldered good looking.Secondly and finally, I call bullshiz, because there is probably one out of one hundred thousand good looking women that would use the word digress, and you haven't heard from that many women.
Well, you know, though the picture could be misleading, the fact your handle is Spademan and not, Spadewoman, I was pretty certain you were a dude, thus, the brothers comment.And I was talking about the "You're starting to creep me out."Next time, I'll get some finger paints and do nice little picture to make it easier on ya. Hah!
And I was talking about the "You're starting to creep me out."
The whole man/woman thing was a joke, so I'll leave the finger paint stuff behind.As to the statement quoted, if that's all of it you meant, then yes, it's probably true, I read your "need help with women" thread.
And I was talking about the "You're starting to creep me out."
The whole man/woman thing was a joke, so I'll leave the finger paint stuff behind.As to the statement quoted, if that's all of it you meant, then yes, it's probably true, I read your "need help with women" thread.
Heh, it sounds kinda desperate when ya say it like that.For the record, those who are uninformed, I had a decision to make between two women, not how to get one. Ahem.So, brothers? Hah!
Heh, it sounds kinda desperate when ya say it like that.For the record, those who are uninformed, I had a decision to make between two women, not how to get one. Ahem.So, brothers? Hah!
As long as it's touching brothers.p.s. I've bolded the problem with this post, bro'. *touch*
As long as it's touching brothers.p.s. I've bolded the problem with this post, bro'. *touch*
Hah! Fair enough.You're the best brother ever..<touch>

i might have to steal the blinds.....that's the risk you take playing online.I had it done to me a lower buyin in..i was a little pissed but hey what the hell...65k extra would go a very long way for me!!am i right perhaps NO....i would hope to be in a position one day where i had to decide that for that kind of money!!

Steal the blinds, then when he comes back and starts crying, console him with soft, sincere words like, "Yeah, man, that really sucked for you.", or "I know how that feels, happens to me alot." , or better yet, "Ouch, dude! I almost feel bad for ya." Then sit back and watch how quickly he tilts his remaining chips away.

For those of you who would consider sitting out:Keep in mind that while the other guy is disconnected, the blinds are still going up. So while you may succeed in keeping the chip stacks the same by sitting out, you've essentially shrunk the size of both stacks proportionally to the blinds.In some cases, that may not be a big deal. But just think about how you could be screwed of the extra $65,000, because you had to make a different play due to blind sizes.

for those who believe that sitting out is the "ethical" thing to do:while blinds are escalating and you are sitting out to be "fair" to your disconnected opponent, what happens if you are dealt premium hands (AA, KK, AK, etc.) while you are sitting out? do ethics obligate you to fold these hands too? if not, where do you draw the line?

Hah! Fair enough.You're the best brother ever..<touch>
So would you guys just start making out already? Geez, this is like watching an epsiode of 'Moonlighting'. Only not as well-written. And gayer. Much, much gayer.About the OP - I usually play 20+2 3 table sng's. Last week I got disconnected twice in one night. Once heads-up, once three-handed. Becuase I'm on dial-up, I had been eliminated before I could return to each table. I lost (pontentially) a few hundred dollars becuase of that. That's a decent chunk of money to me.So I say: steal 'em. 'Cause they'd do it to you...

I'd be stealing the blinds.But I would not be doing anything wild and crazy to try to accelerate the process. I'd be too afraid I would screw it up and end up hurting myself in some way! llou

I'm watching the final two go heads up in the Grand Tourney, a few seconds ago one person had around a 4 million to 2 million chip lead. The blinds are 30k/60k. Let's call the leader L and the short stack S.Suddenly L goes into Away mode, apparently disconnected. S proceeds to steal L's blinds as fast as he can. This continues until S has a slight lead, at which time L reconnects. L was gone for about two minutes.S and L talk it over for a while. S feels bad about what he did and eventually agrees to fold back approximately the amount of chips he stole.If you were in S's position, what would you do? Would you steal the blinds as fast as you could? Steal but take as long as the clock allows? Fold every other hand or go into Away mode yourself to keep the stacks as they were?Keep in mind that the payouts were around $160k for first place and $95k for second. Does that weigh into your decision?I think I would keep the stacks even for at least ten minutes in a small buy-in event. In this particular tourney with such high stakes, I would be willing to wait a lot longer, $65k is a lot to screw someone out of.
We are talking about something more than merely stealing blinds while heads-up. We are talking about honor.Being honorable is not a sign of weakness, it is a display of ultimate strength and class.I know it is common practice to capitalize on someone losing their connection. However, when play is down to heads-up there is simply nothing to lose by allowing the other player to return.(Now if it was a full table and the beginning of a tourney, that is a different circumstance.)After investing money and three to four hours to reach a final table--not to mention heads-up--the least a player can do is be respectful of his opponent.By doing so, one would hope that the day you lose your connection (and we all do every now and then) the same respect will be extended to you.I offer some other links/excerpts:http://www.wptfan.com/article.php?story=20...040930205458590http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/intervi...s-brunson02.htm[excerpts highlighted for ease]Doyle Brunson...[has] pioneered higher virtues as one of the first respected voices in gambling to discuss the importance of honor and trust amongst his peers. Brunson came to personify the notion that gambling could be a respectable profession."According to Doyle"...The book is a series of reflections and philosophical musings about what it takes to be successful in gambling. Again, Brunson was a trailblazer -- introducing notions that gambling was a legitimate profession and that all true gamblers had an obligation to conduct themselves honorably. DALLA: Doyle, one thing you conveyed in all your writings and dealings over the years is the importance of honor amongst gamblers. You routinely make handshake deals worth thousands of dollars. You once said (paraphrasing), "I'm not going to do business with a man where I have to get a written contract. If I can't look him in the eye and take him at his word, then I don't want to deal with him." For readers seeing this interview, why is that concept so important -- which is to establish honor and trust among gamblers? BRUNSON: Once you lose your reputation in this business, that's it. It's over. When I was coming up through the ranks, not that many people carried a lot money of money on them. This was before checks and credit cards. Sometimes, all you had was your word. So, we gambled with each other based on trust. Now, in the upper echelon of gambling and poker, we deal in such big figures that you can't actually talk to people anymore about this, because they all think you're lying. No one believes the big figures we exchange, and the trust we have amongst ourselves. For instance, last month we were playing in a big poker game and -- I'm not going to use the guy's name -- he loaned this other guy in the game a million dollars. Finally, the game broke up and he turned and said to me, "Hey, I loaned that guy a million bucks -- and I don't even know his last name!" I told him, as far as I know, he's never done a thing wrong about money. So, you gotta' give him credit. But, he didn't even know the guy's last name! And, we all laughed about it. Of course, the guy made good on the loan. That's what I'm talking about -- that real gamblers can be trusted when they give their word.
So would you guys just start making out already? Geez, this is like watching an epsiode of 'Moonlighting'. Only not as well-written. And gayer. Much, much gayer.
I don't think anyone has ever been so wrong, so completely, in the history of time.Nothing in the world is gayer than 'Moonlighting', and it is embarrassing that you would give us that kind of credit.You should know by now, being a regular at the forums, that brothers touching can't be gay at all, because it's also incest, and they cancel each other out.
So would you guys just start making out already? Geez, this is like watching an epsiode of 'Moonlighting'. Only not as well-written. And gayer. Much, much gayer.
I don't think anyone has ever been so wrong, so completely, in the history of time.Nothing in the world is gayer than 'Moonlighting', and it is embarrassing that you would give us that kind of credit.You should know by now, being a regular at the forums, that brothers touching can't be gay at all, because it's also incest, and they cancel each other out.
OMG - can't believe I forgot about that. That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. I stand corrected.But Cybil Shepard had a really nice rack. Granted, we're talking 20 years ago. But there was nothing gay about what Cybil Shepard's rack did to a pubescent Timdog. I stand by this...
OMG - can't believe I forgot about that. That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. I stand corrected.But Cybil Shepard had a really nice rack. Granted, we're talking 20 years ago. But there was nothing gay about what Cybil Shepard's rack did to a pubescent Timdog. I stand by this...
Ya, that line was classic.Yes, Cybil had some nice rackage back then, and even earlier when she flashed them in that black and white flick I can't remember the name of with that Bridges fellow.But, I think that's the point... correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I've seen 'Moonlighting', but, didn't Bruce and her like, never hook up?If not, pure gay-ity.