disconnection ethics

I'm watching the final two go heads up in the Grand Tourney, a few seconds ago one person had around a 4 million to 2 million chip lead. The blinds are 30k/60k. Let's call the leader L and the short stack S.Suddenly L goes into Away mode, apparently disconnected. S proceeds to steal L's blinds as fast as he can. This continues until S has a slight lead, at which time L reconnects. L was gone for about two minutes.S and L talk it over for a while. S feels bad about what he did and eventually agrees to fold back approximately the amount of chips he stole.If you were in S's position, what would you do? Would you steal the blinds as fast as you could? Steal but take as long as the clock allows? Fold every other hand or go into Away mode yourself to keep the stacks as they were?Keep in mind that the payouts were around $160k for first place and $95k for second. Does that weigh into your decision?I think I would keep the stacks even for at least ten minutes in a small buy-in event. In this particular tourney with such high stakes, I would be willing to wait a lot longer, $65k is a lot to screw someone out of.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think also sitting out might be considered the "nice guy" thing to do but at the same time I dont think you have any obligation to do so. Stealing the persons blinds because they have disconnected might not be the most ethical thing but at the same time its not some god awful thing that someone should be scolded for doing.

Ive been thinking about this since I saw that happen..I think I might sit out. not sure though..65k is life changing for me at this point and I might be willing to do the unethical thing to get it. I guess no one can really say what they'd do unless they were in that situation themselves.

What do you think they'd do if it were you that got disconnected? Exactly.Steal as many chips as possible. Poker is about exploiting every edge. I have a high speed cable connection, and several wireless networks around me that I can get on through different providers. Why? To keep an edge.

Hell, the "unethical" thing? Do you think poker is ethical? I don't think I've ever heard good things from the religious people that know I play cards for a living. And, I also don't see any Fundamental Ethics of Poker 101 on Amazon.com. Do you really think you're going to lose some sleep because you screwed some guy out of $65,000? Doubt it. But, I would have a 350Z in my garage.

Hell, the "unethical" thing? Do you think poker is ethical? I don't think I've ever heard good things from the religious people that know I play cards for a living. And, I also don't see any Fundamental Ethics of Poker 101 on Amazon.com. Do you really think you're going to lose some sleep because you screwed some guy out of $65,000? Doubt it. But, I would have a 350Z in my garage.
Not real sure that's appropriate..but, hey. Just my opinion.
Hell, the "unethical" thing? Do you think poker is ethical? I don't think I've ever heard good things from the religious people that know I play cards for a living. And, I also don't see any Fundamental Ethics of Poker 101 on Amazon.com. Do you really think you're going to lose some sleep because you jewed some guy out of $65,000? Doubt it. But, I would have a 350Z in my garage.
You do realize that a lot of people find this term inappropriate, right? Most obvious amongst them, jewish people.
What do you think they'd do if it were you that got disconnected? Exactly.Steal as many chips as possible. Poker is about exploiting every edge. I have a high speed cable connection, and several wireless networks around me that I can get on through different providers. Why? To keep an edge.
This is a question i would ask myself, and sadly, i don't think i can say that very many people would slow down, or sit out, if they were in this position. Its a cutthroat game, and i think the majority of people are playing hands as fast as possible, to get as many chips as possible.I think i might feel guilty about it, but this is the same kind of guilt you get when you outdraw someone. Yes, you got lucky to win the hand, and sometimes, you feel like you should apolgize, but, if they are the one who sucks out on you, would they apologize? or even acknowledge that they got lucky? no. So, i think i'm going to be playing as fast as possible.Of course, i don't really think i can answer, until this happens to me.

I'm about a nice a guy as they come, but as someone pointed out earlier poker is about exploiting every edge you can, and 65k is life changing for me too. I steal every blind I can. Ethical or not, I'm gonna checkraise my own grandmother in this game.

This has been asked before.I'll give the same answer.I'd break my fcking mouse stealing.If I were in a boxing match, I would never intentionally low blow.If I were in a no-holds barred cage fight, I'd kick someone's nuts into their throat.There isn't a rule against exploiting someone's bad connection in online poker, so, you steal.I'd expect the same to be done to me if I disconnected.

because you jewed some guy out of $65,000?
You do realize that a lot of people find this term inappropriate, right? Most obvious amongst them, jewish people.
I swear my life by www.dictionary.comhttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jewedjew tr.v. Offensive jewed, jew·ing, jews 1. To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down. 2. To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.
because you jewed some guy out of $65,000?
I swear my life by www.dictionary.comhttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jewedjew tr.v. Offensive jewed, jew·ing, jews 1. To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down. 2. To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.
If you swear your life by dictionary.com then..."Usage Note: It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive. In such contexts Jewish is the only acceptable possibility. Some people, however, have become so wary of this construction that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun."... you know it's offensive.Not that I care, as all religion annoys me.Reason is, people being illogical and hypocritical is annoying, which you are now guilty of.
because you screwed some guy out of $65,000?
You missed the most important part here..Just change it, and everyone goes home happy.
You missed the most important part here..Just change it, and everyone goes home happy.
My response was more swift, and I'm on 56k.HAHAHAHAHAHA.Unrelated note... you're lucky your cool, or I'd tell you to stop using my "heh".
My response was more swift, and I'm on 56k.HAHAHAHAHAHA.Unrelated note... you're lucky your cool, or I'd tell you to stop using my "heh".
Heh. I'm on a 56k in Iowa, I log in at like, 44.4 if I'm lucky.Heh.So there. Heh.
Heh. I'm on a 56k in Iowa, I log in at like, 44.4 if I'm lucky.Heh.So there. Heh.
Heh.

does this remind anyone of vinny vin and the wsop 2005?lemme sum it up, his opponent drops the f bomb and is given a penalty and has to sit out, vinny is short so he steals as much as he can and gets a little under 300k in like a 1.5m tourney.the conscience would definitely not have been a big concern if the other player was crippled and almost out, at that point I almost guanantee he would not have given the amount back.make sense?because instead of screwing him out of 65k, you might transverally feel like you were screwing yourself.maybe Im just nuts?

My response was more swift, and I'm on 56k.HAHAHAHAHAHA.Unrelated note... you're lucky you're cool, or I'd tell you to stop using my "heh".
SNAP! Fixed your post.Heh.
You missed it the first time you read it and quoted it, which is worse than missing it writing it the first time drunk.SNAP!Pwned.Heh.