crazy a$$ day at doyle's room....

some of ya'll may have seen my post about $20 minimum deposit sites, well even if you didn't, i decided to make the minimum (with a debit card) of $50 at doyle's room (even tho i got mad bills to pay) and see where my luck took me...sitting down with $50 at $1/$2 Limit I slowly worked my way up to around $80, playing aggressive, but smartly folding when needed (seriously, didn't make too many mistakes), well I left the table, and rejoined another $1/$2 (I was going to join a $10+1 SnG, but changed my mind) and after sitting at the table for a bit, I noticed the bets were larger and after checking the blinds (they were 1/2) I noticed it was NL...Lmao, but I stuck around deciding to play, not really trying to bet too big unless my hand was good (first big mistake, I know)..Well, I got my stack up to around $150, and 2 positions down was a guy with around $375, the only player at the table who had me covered. Well, we both soon got involved in a hand that cost me all of it....I was in the small blind with 10K, I raised 3x BB and he called. Flop came 10-10-8. Perfect, I thought, i got this one, I check, allowing him to bet and he does, around $20 I think, so I flat called. Turn comes 6, again I check and flat call (same raise of $20). River comes a 2 and I check again, he raises all-in (I suspect him of trying to steal, and I call) and he flips of A10 and takes all my $$$ with a better kicker (I was really only worried about him holding a 10 and hitting a boat, but that seemed unlikely that he would call a preflop raise with 10-6, 10-8, or 10-2, so if he did have a 10, I would hopefully be up against 10j, or 10q). Well, son of a b!tch he took all $140 with a kicker. Well, a couple hours later (after spending some Valentine's Day time with my girl and regrouping (seriously wanted to punch someone)), I deposited another $50 (temporarily putting my bank account -$20..lmao) and slowly worked up to 109.47 and my girlfriend yelled at me to stop (which I'm glad she did). There is a $10 fee to mail a check (they can't directly deposit the money into a debit account (shoulda used netteller)) so I came out -$1. That I can put up with, but losing my original $50 (was up to $150) on a hand I was sure I was ahead, just pissed me off, my first real bad beat (shoulda thought about A10, but my stupidity) , but small raises of 20 and then going all-in seemed fishy to me, so I didn't even think he had a 10, oh well, basically won it back. When I deposited the 2nd $50, I never had a super premium hand besides once I got AA, and it only netted me $3 (lmao). Everything else was basically 2 pair, and trips with slowplaying (works well at 1/2). So I will be getting a $99 check from Doyle's Room soon, and had a crazy day only coming out $1 loss, way better than losing $50.Sorry for the rambling, just felt like sharin, basically I'm just glad I got the $50 back cuz if you read my $20 minimum post, I got a lot of bills and really couldn't afford to lose that. Anyone every get a check from Doyle's Room???Just curious how long it took to arrive. Thx. Peace :D

Can you say "gambling problem" lolWhen you give up bill money and put your bank account at negative levels, it means 1) you don't make enough to play, and 2) seek help. Also, I could have told you he had the 10. Fishy bets are fishy for a reason.My guess on the check is 4-5 business days. GL......

why the hell would you put your whole bankroll in the first table you enter? thats why you lost the money. play at limits you can afford or dont play at all. itll save you a lot of money. if you keep this up youll lose all your money again. go down to the 10-20 cent blinds at least.

all of this I know, it was dumb/crazy and I won't be repeating this (lesson well learned), definitely won't be doing anything like this again, but 1 question is $50 a good enough bankroll for 1/2 limit?

On to a serious post... You should never bring your whole bankroll to a table, and you shouldnt be playing those limits to start.... I try and keep 250-300 big bets... you had 25and playing NL was even worse... Ya gotta learn to manage you're bankroll. This way, if you're brain goes on vacation and you play stupid for a night (as smash was so nice to comment about) you can handle the swings...

No seriously 10 bucks is crazy. Most sites are free or a low low fee.And $50 is enough for a 1-2 SESSION. Maybe you misunderstand bankroll. A bankroll is a large amount of money you dip into and put your winnings into when you win. It's supposed to be there to allow to play many times at any given time.So the answer to your question is absolutely not.

Im glad you were able to win 150 and still make a little, im not a "hater" im giving advice, play smarter, and dont take all your bankroll to one table, 1 losing session and you're broke, not worth the risk.

but 1 question is $50 a good enough bankroll for 1/2 limit?
The answer is definately no!! For Limit I would say you need to have atleast $600 to play 1/2. For No Limit(What I play) . . . I keep around $800 for 1/2. Mind you this is not what I sit at the table with, this is just what I keep in my account on the site I'm playing at just in case some crazy swing hits me.
but 1 question is $50 a good enough bankroll for 1/2 limit?
Playing $50 @ a $1/2 table is a good way to go broke fast. If you have bills to pay, you're not going to pay them taking massive risks like this. Oh well, I assume that you're probably a teenager or early 20's, you'll learn fast enough after you lose your roll a few times.I hate to rag on you, but most of us find it highly annoying that all of the newbies feel they can disregard all the rules set forth and proven by poker professionals over decades or trial and error. Good luck to you, becasue luck is all you have going for you, skill won't make you money playing stakes like this with a roll of $50.

diving into a 1 2 game with 50$, even tho thats ur entire bankroll, is not so stupid. dont ridicule it! for some of us, pplaying penny-poker is not an option - its boring and at least for me feels stupid, when u know u can beat the higher limits. so personally, i'd rather take a shot and a) start building a roll right away, or b)lose it all and start over...ive used this tactic for years and it works, for me anyway.. ive even take it a bit further and often dive right into a 3 6 game (with 60) or a 5/10 game (100). of course, i disregard the whole bankroll management-thing. i usually run my 'roll up to around 1600$ and then cash out nearly all of it, which happens like clockwork once or twice a month, depending on how much i play. (this is because 1600$ is the maximum u can cash out where i live, without paying taxes).. anyway, everytime my check comes, i'm always at least 1000$ ahead (oftentimes more, since sometimes ur run goes smoothly from deposit no#1, or even from the leftovers since the last cashout)ok, maybe this post isnt so relevant in this thread, since the original poster mentioned he was low on money. but if u are not in economic despair, i'll go this route everytime! it is NO FUN grinding it out playing 50/1$ poker or even less, when u feel u know how to play the higher limits. so what if u go broke!? start over and keep ur faith in urself! since this is one of my first posts on this forum (been lurking around for quite some time), i'll end with a tip for all u poker players out there (online) who have an urge to see the world, to travel. take ur bankroll on the road!! Ive been roaming around Asia for 9 months now, staying afloat only on poker winnings (most software runs very good here, although some sites dont allow deposits, so make arrangements before u leave). in fact, i consider myself a pro, even though i only rarely play limits over 5/10..ok. enough of this rambling. im off to drink some super cheap beer and relax outside in the lovely weather. it sure beats the snow my friend from home just described on the telephone a minute ago.cheers! and good luck at the tables everyone!!!

for some of us, pplaying penny-poker is not an option - its boring and at least for me feels stupid, when u know u can beat the higher limits. so personally, i'd rather take a shot and a) start building a roll right away, or b)lose it all and start over...
Someone needs to look up the definition for bankroll. One thing I can promise you it does not say is "take shots and if you miss keep reloading from some other funding source". A bankroll should be self-sustaining and able to handle the swings of your daily play. If it cant then you are missing the point of a bankroll or playing above your limits.I completely hear what you are saying, but the idea of playing at higher levels then my BR permits and if I lose it all I'll just reload seems nuts to me. Guess to each their own.
diving into a 1 2 game with 50$, even tho thats ur entire bankroll, is not so stupid. dont ridicule it! for some of us, pplaying penny-poker is not an option - its boring and at least for me feels stupid, when u know u can beat the higher limits. so personally, i'd rather take a shot and a) start building a roll right away, or b)lose it all and start over...
If you've got the money to re-load and start over, then why not put it all into your poker account and then play whatever limit your bankroll can afford? Its silly to just buy-in for 50 bucks, take a shot, lose, buy in again, take a shot, etc ...

of course, i do agree fully with both objections. i just wanted to point out that theres more than one way to do things, at least if ur not just starting out. personally i just dont have the patience to grind it out at the lowest limits. also, i forgot to mention, a big reason for me using this tactic (which works, believe it or not!) is that i recognize a big weakness i have: whenever i get over, say, 2000$, i have a very strong urge to go try the really high limits (which can be very painful, as ive learned), so i stick to my gameplan, which (if your a good player) actually works well in the long run. this is also why i never, ever make huge deposits, i always start small (60$-100$) and work my way up. but of course, for anyone with minimal experience (ok ok, and everyone else for that matter), i suggest u listen to these other guys. bankroll-/moneymanagement is very, very important and cashing out ur entire bankroll is actually a silly idea, kind of. i will continue to do so though, as it works for me...++ if u do something simlilar to what i described in my last post, it becomes even more important too keep records, so u know where u stand.

It doesnt sound like this is the case for this guy, but for me my "bankroll" isnt all in my poker account balance at the same time. I say I have a 1000 dollar bankroll, but I dont feel comfortable depositing 1000 dollars into a site, so I just keep track, if I deposit 100, I take it down to 100, if I cash out 300 then I move it up to 1200.

MY BEAT IS BETTER!!!!There is a guy on Doyle's Room named JimSPeers (?) who is a very loose player. Well, I was at a 2-4 NL table (max buy in is 300), and had my stack up to about 450. This guy had been getting all the cards because at the time he had about 1300. Here it is for you guys, see if I was wrong the way I played it...jim: early position, may bbme: button (5,5)checked to me preflop, I raised to 20sb and bb callflop comes 5 10 10 (can't remember the suits, but I didn't care at that time)jim bets 20 (Now he had been checking his hands if he hit any part of the board, so I knew he didn't have a 10)I raise 20he reraises me 20I reraise 100he reraises me all inhe turns over 6 6 (and I am pleading that no 6 hits the board)7 on the turn (now he has 2 outs to beat me)6 on the river (things got thrown across the house)This is the same guy who caught runner, runner flush with no piece of the board and was bet to him the whole way.Found out later that he dropped about 2500 on a 5-10 table, so I can't wait to play him again...

MY BEAT IS BETTER!!!!There is a guy on Doyle's Room named JimSPeers (?) who is a very loose player. Well, I was at a 2-4 NL table (max buy in is 300), and had my stack up to about 450. This guy had been getting all the cards because at the time he had about 1300. Here it is for you guys, see if I was wrong the way I played it...jim: early position, may bbme: button (5,5)checked to me preflop, I raised to 20sb and bb callflop comes 5 10 10 (can't remember the suits, but I didn't care at that time)jim bets 20 (Now he had been checking his hands if he hit any part of the board, so I knew he didn't have a 10)I raise 20he reraises me 20I reraise 100he reraises me all inhe turns over 6 6 (and I am pleading that no 6 hits the board)7 on the turn (now he has 2 outs to beat me)6 on the river (things got thrown across the house)This is the same guy who caught runner, runner flush with no piece of the board and was bet to him the whole way.Found out later that he dropped about 2500 on a 5-10 table, so I can't wait to play him again...
I feel you man, I won a freeroll for $45 and had built it up to around $100 and went all-in with AA with a flop of AQ4. Everyone folds to the BB who had about $375 and he called, he flips QQ and I'm ahead. Turn brings a J. River brings a Q and my aces get busted to quad Q's. I was pissed, but it was free money so it wasnt as devastating, but the thought of doubling up to $200 (prolly woulda cashed out at least $100 to help with bills) and get busted on the river still makes me wanna punch someone.
but it was free money...
Holy crap someone teach this kid a lesson. First of all if you emptied your bank account for a lousy $50, no money to you should be considered free money. You shoulda put that shit back in your bank and waited until you actually have money to lose, cuz it sounds like that's all you do.No offense, but I'm sure I'm not the only one in this forum who thinks this. Plus, people who usually lose all of their money and win FREEROLLS are looked at differently amongst all of the other "regular" poker players. I believe the word we use is "sucker" or something like that. Sorry for being blunt, but when I used to suck at poker people told me so, and I worked on it. You should consider doing the same.