controversial idea

OK flame away all naysayers.What I am suggesting here is not because I don't understand bank roll management. It was an experiment that I did, and think it has some real merit. It is NOT for everyone that is for sure.I normally play 2-4 on pokerstars. I noticed that when I move up in limits to three six, I do not play as aggressively (therefor as good). So heres what I did. I played 5-10 for a day. Then I played 10-20 for an hour. Now 3-6 is as low stress as 2-4 used to be. I was however fortunate enough to play well those sessions with no major bankroll swings. I understand the risks here, and maybe re-raising to 18 dollars doesn't give you pause, but if you are like me this little drill might help. Its only for those that are in the game for the long term.

Guest Zach6668

Do not play above your bankroll. Trust me. Just don't. Played 8/16 mini-blinds on UB once... won $647 in one session, erasing all of the losses I had accrued because I was already a donkey playing without having a clue.Long story short, I thought I was a great player. Although I realized I shouldn't have been playing 8/16, I played a few more sessions, and some 5/10, and my roll fell steadily. I eventually went broke playing 10/20. So, like I said. Don't do it.Zach.

Guest Zach6668
taking shots above your bank roll can have benefits.I would just make sure you are only playing with the "excess"; and understand it's just "a shot"I certainly see how it helps you play $3/6 w/o being as timid now.
That is true too, in some respects. If you want to take your excess profit, from say your $1200 bankroll from 2/4. Say you are up to $1400, you would want to take a chance at 3/6, or if you were up to $15 or 1600, you would want to take a shot at 5/10? I don't know. This would be an awful big risk, and thne you risk being right back where you started, if variance kicks your ass.I dunno. I'm the fool who did it in the first place, and won big... and subsequently lost big, but I've learned from that. You don't go on a stupid lucky run as often as you would like to, in my opinion to justify. It's simple for me though, because I know I'm not nearly good enough to leave .5/1 and jump to something like 3/6. I would need a lucky session to have a good result. However, I have even noticed in the times I've jumped to 1/2, that I've had less than average results, and I can't figure out why, other than that I'm running bad.I don't know. I still don't like jumping THAT far out of your roll. Going up 1 set of limits is ok every once in a while, but jumping from 2/4 to 10/20 seems like a terrible idea to me.Zach

One would be better off risking a small bankroll than a larger one. So with that being said I guess it all depends on your job, be it a teacher, a lawyer or even a pro poker player

It's not a bad idea actually. Especially if you think in terms of money instead of bets.I found that after playing some 10/20 sessions, the losses at 3/6 6 really don't seem to matter. It can help you make the best decisions instead of worrying about losing money.One thing I would recommend to OP is that you shouldn't take this idea too far. Going from say 2/4 to 10/20 is a bit too extreme. Playing a session of 5/10 will have the same results. Also, you might get a good run of cards and really increase your bankroll. There are a ton of benefits to taking shots, as long as you're disciplined enough to back off when it doesn't work out.

Here's my suggestion... If you want to take shots, do it at a live table. For several reasons:1) The players are horrible, even at 10/202) You're playing only one table and you pretty much have to pay attention to stay awake3) These guys give off physical tells like crazy, giving you an extra edge4) Free food and drink, baby!I take shots too, I just do it live. YMMV.Jeff

I should have been more clear. I am not suggesting taking shots (plural). I am suggesting a one time situation that help build resolve at your current level. Screech is dead on in my opinion. This game is about discipline, and it takes ultimate discipline to play 10-20 then go back to 3-6 or 2-4. I played 10-20 at a table with 4 people that had $240 or less in front of them. So I bought for the same. Figured they werent too comfy at that limit either since they had so little on the table. Just a suggestion for those that can afford to blow a few bucks in trade for extra comfort and confidence at their level. I think the only problem occours if you beat the limit once and feel that you should be playing there all the time.

I can see there being some benefit if you find yourself playing too passive at the lower level. I think that if you play at the stakes long enough, you become accustomed to it and get back into the routine. Playing a 10/20 and then coming back to 2/4 could easily have negative effects too. You could play too many hands, push too hard when you shouldnt be, and call down far too often on account of the fact that it's "just 2 dollars". I mean, there's nothing rational about that justification - but we're talking about the psychological influence of playing higher than your usual game. I dont think that my play changes in terms of aggression as i move up, to be honest. I just tend to play tighter.... but i think that's on account of the players at the table, not the stakes.I dropped from 23% at .50/1 to 21% at 1/2 to 19% at 2/4.

I should have been more clear.  I am not suggesting taking shots (plural). I am suggesting a one time situation that help build resolve at your current level. Screech is dead on in my opinion. This game is about discipline, and it takes ultimate discipline to play 10-20 then go back to 3-6 or 2-4. I played 10-20 at a table with 4 people that had $240 or less in front of them. So I bought for the same. Figured they werent too comfy at that limit either since they had so little on the table. Just a suggestion for those that can afford to blow a few bucks in trade for extra comfort and confidence at their level. I think the only problem occours if you beat the limit once and feel that you should be playing there all the time.
i think this is a decent idea, although it is necessary to have a comfortable bankroll at your current limit (say, $1200 at 2/4) to do it without risking a huge amount of your bankroll even at a single shot.personally, i played .5/1 for a while then moved up to 2/4 with over $1000. stuck around there for a bit, but played quite a bit of 5/10 B&M. when i came back from the 5/10, my 2/4 game was hugely improved, as I was able to think in terms of bets instead of money, since I had won and lost more in a few hours of B&M 5/10 than I ever could in a day of multi-tabling 2/4. (it was a wild game)More recently, I've been taking a break and mostly just clearing bonuses. This has meant playing a little 2/4, but mostly 1/2 and 0.5/1. Consequently, when I've gone back to 2/4, I've had a lot more trouble playing properly, even though my bankroll is certainly comfortable. It does take some time to get acclimatized to losing at higher limits. i think the OP's plan is a good one, though it only works if the person has the willpower to move back down in limits after a session or two at higher, even if he wins big and/or finds the game extremely soft. i think many of us would have trouble doing that.daniel
Man the difference between the posts here and in general are unreal. Well thought out responses with pros and cons with out one "you suck at poker" post. I like it here lol. Good exchange on this one, thanks.
fuk u fish u suk fishAssuming your roll can withstand the loss of a buy-in or two, the game's beatable, and there won't be an longterm negative effects, I encourage this type of action.I do it all the time. I think my "permaroll" is about 3000 bucks. I play mostly 5/10 (and some 3/6 when certain people sit), but every once in a while I'll open 2 10/20 tables and play. I'm a winner at that level, but at one point I was stuck about 50 bets in 2 hours.1000 dollars is a lot of money, but it didn't really bother my bankroll. The 5/10 games I play are beatable enough that residing temporarily below 250 bets isn't bad for me at all.Finally I booked a pretty big win, and bought myself a television. It was great, and I have the confidence I need to play the game semi-regularly, and I'm SURE I can beat 5/10. For a guy with severe and crippling insecurities about his poker game, this meant tons.Be careful, though. And know your limits and the limits of ya rollie.Ice
Finally I booked a pretty big win, and bought myself a television.  Ice
you might be funniest when you don't intend to be.I suspect you are just a great guy with whom to hang.
Thanks, I think. As long as we're laughing with, not at. Actually, at's fine too.Hanging out with me is a blast, unless you enjoy the company of women. In which case you'd probably enjoy yourself more with anyone but "Sloth" from Goonies. Ice

A 'safer' way to ge ready for a jump would be to play shorthanded (6 max) at your current level for week prior to going up to full ring at the next level. The hyper-aggression there (if you're playing correctly) and bigger swings will keep you competitive when you move to the 'slower' albeit higher stake gameAlso get tiltblocker to cover your table stakes. Teaches you to think in terms of chips not $And anyone that has an avatar of Gargamel making a Smurf smile by standing behind him is ok in my book 8)