rookie of the year

Beyond Crosby and Ovechkin, why isn't Svatos getting any props? 15 goals (last I saw), and he's clearly going to get more ice time and be more important to his team when the Avs are pushing for the playoffs. While being the top scorer on a bad team might earn you points, being a solid contributor on a playoff team is probably more important.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond Crosby and Ovechkin, why isn't Svatos getting any props? 15 goals (last I saw), and he's clearly going to get more ice time and be more important to his team when the Avs are pushing for the playoffs. While being the top scorer on a bad team might earn you points, being a solid contributor on a playoff team is probably more important.
Because Svatos is clearly playing with the better team and better players
Because Svatos is clearly playing with the better team and better players
Meaning he gets less ice time, yet scores at a similar pace.
  • 3 weeks later...
Update:Crosby: 21G, 25A, 40GP  Ovechkin: 25G, 22A, 39GPPhaneuf: 9G, 14A, 41GP (don't know what other stats to put for a defensemen)Definately Crosby if it's this close at the end of the season.
Crosby has 2 more assists so far tonight.

The longer the season goes on and the way things are going, I seriously think I would give my vote for rookie of the year to:8470602.jpgDion PhaneufTypically, defense is a harder position to play at the NHL level and it usually takes years for a young defenseman to come into his own. Many young scorers have made the transition from junior to the NHL with little difficulty, but it usually takes a few more years for a defenseman to make the transition. Couple that with the fact that the NHL is cracking down on obstruction this season, thus taking away many of the tactics defensemen have used in the past to slow down opposing forwards; what this guy is doing at the age of 20 is simply amazing. Games Played - 42Goals - 10 (Tied for 4th in goals by defensmen)Assists - 14Points - 24Plus/Minus - +2And he's averaging over 21 minutes per game!

I would list Ovechkin as a solid contender for MVP, if not for the fact that Washington has zero chance of making the playoffs. He's without a doubt the most significant player on the Caps, but sadly for his chances it isn't enough. At this point, I would have to say it's a toss up between Ovechkin and Crosby for the Calder, and that it will almost definitely be one of them that wins it. I'd like to see Phaneuf get some recognition for his outstanding play, but he would have to put up at least 50+ points to get any attention. 22nd in D-man scoring probably won't cut it, and he's only +2. If he was as outstanding of a defenseman as a point producer, that might swing some votes his way. Lundqvist should be another candidate for the Calder, he's been an extremely important addition to the Rangers and is near the league lead in most goalie stats. I agree that it's pretty likely Crosby will win the Calder unless Ovechkin blows him out of the water during the second half of the season. I think the voters will recognize the fact that Ovechkin has more "pro" experience, is older, and just doesn't entirely fit the "rookie" bill (the same way Gretzky didn't) even if the rules say he does.

I keep reading how Ovechkin can win games all by himself and how he plays on a team with vary little talent surrounding him. While both of these points may be true, the way they are being presented is that Crosby can not win games by himself and is surrounded by great talent. These two points are not true.If I had to compare these players to more familiar names I would say Ovechkin is today's Pavel Bure and Sidney Crosby is a Peter Forsberg like player. Ovechkin has great speed with the puck. It's one thing to be fast without the puck, it's another talent altogether to have that speed with the puck. Ovechkin has it. He is fast, smooth and will dangle the puck in front of your eyes so you can read "In Glas co" before slipping it through your legs and burying it up under the crossbar "where Grandma keeps the peanut butter." He is a goal scorer. When he passes the puck, he does so with the expectation that he will get it back very shortly. Like Bure, Ovechkin is not afraid of getting his nose dirty. He is not afraid to mix it up. On the other hand, Sidney Crosby is more like Peter Forsberg. He lacks the strength of Forsberg, but that will come with time. Crosby has the ability to make the highlight end to end rush goal, but he is more likely to be found knocking someone off the puck along the boards and then dishing to a teammate standing at the side of an open net. When Crosby passes the puck he is expecting it to be buried in the back of the net, but he is ready if it comes back to him or if he needs to go get it again. Crosby is closer to a power forward then a pure goal scorer. The prototypical power forward is usually bigger, but what he lacks in size, he more than makes up for in speed and puck handling. Typically, this type of player takes longer to develop. John Leclair and Brendan Shanahan are excellent examples. The argument that Ovechkin plays on a worse team is a moot point. Is an underperforming Sergei Gonchar better than an overperforming Jamie Heward? I'll agree that Crosby is surrounded by more name-recognizable players and perhaps players with more potential talent, but he is certainly not playing with a better team. And let's not forget the age difference between Ovechkin and Crosby. Ovechkin is a year older than Crosby. At this age and stage of development one year is a long time. Ovechkin should be one year closer to his prime than Crosby.With the fact that Crosby has been hyped so much at such a young age, it is amazing that he has reacted so well up to this point. Sure he whines and complains, he's young and is expected by everyone to be one of the best. Every move he makes is watched by countless media and hockey fans. Gretzky was the same way when he first came into the NHL. He complained a lot. Crosby is young; he is 19! I stress this point because imagine yourself at 19 with the pressures of being handed millions of dollars, being compared to Wayne Gretzky, being labelled not only as the saviour of the Pittsburgh Penguins but of the whole NHL. I think many 19 year olds would spontaneously combust.Alexander Ovechkin, on the other hand, does not speak English very well. While it can be a big handicap at times it is a great benefit when you are young and trying to concentrate on playing hockey. He is not asked for an interview as often as Crosby, he is not requested to hold up a puck and look into the camera and say "This is my NHL" like Crosby is. Most of the attention, and consequently the pressure, is directed toward Crosby. He has the added benefit of playing in Washington too. It's not exactly a hockey hotbed.I guess my whole point is that both these guys are special hockey players. They both have golden hands. Barring serious injury, they will both be around for a long time. I see Ovechkin as being a pure goal scorer for many years. I see Crosby as being the more complete player of the two somewhere down the road. I don't really care who wins the Calder Trophy. Gretzky didn't win it, he turned out okay! The question that often comes up when discussing great players with my buddies is "who would you pick if you had the first overall pick?" The answer I always give is "it depends on what my team needs." :-) They never like that answer. So ignoring that type of rational thinking, I would swap picks with whoever had the second pick and possibly pick up a bonus draft pick or a Tim Horton's coffee in the deal.

I would list Ovechkin as a solid contender for MVP, if not for the fact that Washington has zero chance of making the playoffs. He's without a doubt the most significant player on the Caps, but sadly for his chances it isn't enough. At this point, I would have to say it's a toss up between Ovechkin and Crosby for the Calder, and that it will almost definitely be one of them that wins it. I'd like to see Phaneuf get some recognition for his outstanding play, but he would have to put up at least 50+ points to get any attention. 22nd in D-man scoring probably won't cut it, and he's only +2. If he was as outstanding of a defenseman as a point producer, that might swing some votes his way. Lundqvist should be another candidate for the Calder, he's been an extremely important addition to the Rangers and is near the league lead in most goalie stats. I agree that it's pretty likely Crosby will win the Calder unless Ovechkin blows him out of the water during the second half of the season. I think the voters will recognize the fact that Ovechkin has more "pro" experience, is older, and just doesn't entirely fit the "rookie" bill (the same way Gretzky didn't) even if the rules say he does.
does lundqvist qualify as a rookie?if so, i think he is an easy choice to this point. you cannot argue that he does not have a bigger impact on his team than crosby or ovechkin (jagr could be a tough one though). and how are the rangers doing? caps? pens?lundqvist should get MVP votes IMO
  • 2 weeks later...
does lundqvist qualify as a rookie?if so, i think he is an easy choice to this point. you cannot argue that he does not have a bigger impact on his team than crosby or ovechkin (jagr could be a tough one though). and how are the rangers doing? caps? pens?lundqvist should get MVP votes IMO
Lundqvist....MVP? It's definitly tough to argue against him getting votes. I can't see him winning it though with Jagr there doing what he's doing, but votes are a possibility, for sure. I can see him finishing as high as 2nd in the ROY voting.My choice for MVP at this point would be Eric Staal. Carolina is first overall in the NHL. Who would have thought that at the start of the year? But as for the ROY, I find it harder with each passing game to not give it to Ovechkin. Yes, I know he's older than Crosby, but there's nothing in the rules that says you get penalized for being older than other contenders. The award should go to the best 1st year player in the NHL, and I believe that is Ovechkin. My prediction now is Ovechkin, Lundqvist, Crosby, Phaneuf, Svatos.

In this day of media hype, it will probably be Crosby , with the only guy have any other chance being Ovechkin. The shame of it is, that if either of those 2 had as positive of an impact on their team as Lundquist has had on the Rangers, then you would be talking MVP not Rookie of the year.IMO it should be Lundquist hands down, because he is a bigger reason for the Ranger success than Jagr.

Dear Ovechkin and my doubters: Eat my ass.Signed,Sidney Crosby.
1 game and suddenly he's back in the lead? Obviously Jan Bulis is the new front runner for the Hart trophy then.
Well I was joking. But that being said, Crosby really showed how good he can be tonight. He legitimately made his team a whole lot better and Ovechkin was pretty quiet minus his goal.
1 game and suddenly he's back in the lead? Obviously Jan Bulis is the new front runner for the Hart trophy then.
Well I was joking. But that being said, Crosby really showed how good he can be tonight. He legitimately made his team a whole lot better and Ovechkin was pretty quiet minus his goal.
Not to mention Whitney turning him in to Alexandria Ovechkin.Oops, I mentioned it
Not to mention Whitney turning him in to Alexandria Ovechkin.Oops, I mentioned it
ya that even hurt me.

Don't overlook team impact, which the NHL actually has a definitive formula for and uses to judge RoY and MVP. Basically its percentage of team points and goals scored.as of 1/30/06:Ovechkin Goals 34 Team Goals 129 Team Goal% 26.3% CrosbyGoals 25 Team Goals 144 Team Goal% 17.3%Ovechkin Points 65 Team Points 351 Team Point% 18.5%CrosbyPoints 60 Team Points 400 Team Point% 15.0%True Story: Ovechkin > Crosby

Don't overlook team impact, which the NHL actually has a definitive formula for and uses to judge RoY and MVP. Basically its percentage of team points and goals scored.
Actually, this is categorically untrue. There is no 'formula'. The Award is voted on by the Hockey Writers Association. There are eligibility requirements, but no 'formula' whatsover.... *sigh* I cant believe someone would lie on the internet....

I'd pick Ovechkin then probably Lundqvist. People argue for Crosby using words like potential and wait until he's <insert age> but the Calder is for the best rookie this season. Crosby is a great player but it's hard to make a case for him over Ovechkin. Ovechkin is keeping the Caps from being much much worse, laying monster hits, has made some pretty good assists for a "non playmaker", and is loved by his teammates. He has had to adjust to smaller ice with different rules, and play in a faster paced league against the best players in the world as opposed to the clutching and grabbing in the more defensive Russian Super league. Keep in mind his goal total doesn't include his shootout goals. One of only six players on his team that is better than 0 in +/-, almost three times as many goals as his nearest teammate, has more assists than anyone else on the team has points, is used in every situation, draws the top checking lines, and has still produced. Lundqvist is the reason the Rangers are in the running for a top 3 spot vs just a top 8 spot in the East. Rangers defense is weak and against playoff teams it seems like they're allowing 40 shots a game. He's top 5 in GAA and SV %, has done well in shootouts including winning that 15 round marathon vs the Caps where Malik had to pull a circus trick to win it, and he's a Rangers draft pick! That's a lot to work against! :club:

Don't overlook team impact, which the NHL actually has a definitive formula for and uses to judge RoY and MVP. Basically its percentage of team points and goals scored.
Actually, this is categorically untrue. There is no 'formula'. The Award is voted on by the Hockey Writers Association. There are eligibility requirements, but no 'formula' whatsover.... *sigh* I cant believe someone would lie on the internet....
Taking a quote out of context is the same as 'lying' - so save your *sighs* for your pocket pairs that you think you're hiding from everyone. The Goals to Team goals ratio is widely used, and points to team points is sometimes used with the variation of player points to team goals, but they are used by the NHL, by sports writers who get votes, and by hacks who just like to argue. I only pointed out that these numbers are a contributing factor to the decisions these people make, and by no means are any of these formulas or numbers a deciding factor. I concede that the way I worded the first line in retrospect could be misconstrued to look like I am saying RoY and MVP are solely based on this formula, but only an idiot would assume that - it makes much more common sense to read it like it was intended: that there is a definitive formula for team impact, and that team impact carries weight on these decisions.