rookie of the year

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think unless crosby really nosedives it will be him. All the talk about him having such a great supporting cast is a bunch of BS. If crosby had these guys 5 years ago thats a different story, but hes leading the team in points and most of his superstar teammates haven't done much at all. All that being said if I had a vote I would be voting for Dion Phaneuf, if this were just about any other year he would be the favorite hands down. The kid is already looking like a franchise D man in his first year, which is quite an accomplishment, most defensmen take a few years to adjust to the new game, his progress is astounding imo.

I wish I could say Phaneuf as well but in my opinion it's going to be Ovechkin. The NHL has really been focusing on "making the game more exciting" and having "highlight goals" this year, and Ovechkin is the most exciting rookie to watch. I think that if he ends the year with more points than Crosby, he's going to end up winning it, even though both players are really exciting, it will mostly come down to a point/highlight race as neither of their respective teams are going anywhere near the playoffs this year.

Will win: CrosbyShould win: Probably someone else. Could a case have been made for Labarbera, he hasn't been spectacular lately, but at least the Kings were winning. That's more than can be said for Washintgon or Pittsburgh.

Will win: CrosbyShould win: Probably someone else. Could a case have been made for Labarbera, he hasn't been spectacular lately, but at least the Kings were winning. That's more than can be said for Washintgon or Pittsburgh.
Too true. I think the league is desperate for Crosby to live up to the hype. I think he's good and will get better, but is he better than Ovechkin right now?If you're going to talk rookie goalies, I think Lundqvist has to be at the top of the list.
Maxime Talbot!  Okay maybe not, but the guy has been a monster tonight.
love the guy...he's the hardest worker on the team and even though thats not saying much on some nights he still is a beast.
I'm curious as to why most people here think Ovechkin deserves it over Crosby?
It's not really that Crosby might not end up deserving it. It's more that for Ovechkin or anyone else to have a real shot at winning, they'll have to play significantly better than Crosby. Let's face it the league and the hockey media want to make Crosby the poster boy of the new NHL.I hope Crosby is that good, but I'd like to see him earn it.

But the thing is Crosby has earned thus far, He and Ovechkin are almost equal in points and Crosby is playing on an arguably worse team. Not necessarily worse, but just as bad. The big reasoning behind Ovechkin over Crosby early on was that Crosby supposedly had better teammates, but that certainly hasn't been the case thus far.

I'd also like to add, Crosby is going point for point with Ovechkin and has 2 years less experience plus Ovechkin got to play with much better competition last year making this years adjustments much easier.

In Calgary we get to watch Dion Phaneuf a lot and he is very skilled. Hits like a bus too, but a defenseman will not probably win. If he played out east he would get more exposure.

In Calgary we get to watch Dion Phaneuf a lot and he is very skilled. Hits like a bus too, but a defenseman will not probably win. If he played out east he would get more exposure.
And he played for Red Deer - one of the favorite Jerseys in my collection.

Ovechkin is going to win, because he's easily the best rookie player this season.He has 34 pts in 29 games and is only a -2 on a bad bad team. The next closest player in scoring on Washington has 18 pts.Crosby has 31 pts in 31 games and is -11 on a bad bad team. The next closest player has 28 pts and is even.Crosby might turn out to be the better player, as Ovechkin is a couple of years older and played against grown men last year, but for this season alone Ovechkin is the better play, he's going to score 60+ goals before too long in the NHL.