playing golf with hellmuth

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome story....but....I have to say the most amazing part is that you hit a punch 7 iron off a side hill lie that you got to stick and check back down the hill.How the hell do you hit that shot?
Omg, I'm tilted reading this. He rubbed it in when I did that post-interview for the UBOC too. sdfkajdfkl;jasl;dkfHeh...back in your stance, choke up a bit, have good club head speed, and abbreviate your follow through. Ball will fly lower, spin more. Good for controlling the ball in the wind...We had a really good Hawaiian player on my HS team, who hit 95% of his iron shots as knockdowns (anyone who plays golf in Hawaii can tell you how important it is to be able to play in the wind) . Being around him a lot, I really came to appreciate it and use it often. If I haven't played in a while and my 'touch' is off a bit, I'll use the knock down instead of taking more or less club when faced with an in between shot. For instance, if I'm 160-165 out and I don't feel 'locked on' with my irons, instead of trying to muscle up on an 8 iron, or hit a 'soft' 6 iron, I'll just punch a 7 iron.The shot in question though, I believe the flag was on the top tier and the green slopes from back to front. Took one hop forward then sucked back enough to catch the slope and start to trickle back...asklfjasdkl;fjAfter that I was screwed obv, because his putting is famous throughout the poker world. (LOL)
They're not that bad, you just have to hit it clean instead of trying to carve out a massive pelt out of the astroturf...I prefer hitting (door)mats in my office...I have found that if I try to pick the ball clean on mats, I thin everything I hit the first couple of holes. What I really hate about them is that when you hit the ball a little fat while on mats, you never know it. It still looks and feels like a good swing. Then you get on the course and wonder if you are playing golf are digging graves...Good call, the transition can be tough...but I think you know if you're hitting it pure even on the mats. Better than no practice at all for me though in this God forsaken city I which I live with the massive amounts of snow (we have a Dome to parctice in during the winter)...Wish I had the problem of winter golf in SoCal with one teebox being redone...I'm here hitting 4 irons into the back wall of a 125 yrd range at $25/hr while it's -25 degrees outside...
Are you in Edmonton because from that description it sounds like you've had the pleasure of practicing your game at the Golf Dome man what a sweet opportunity that is.Edit: Just checked your location by your name, yaa Golf in Edmonton can be rough where do you play when the snow is finally all melted and the greens are in decent shape before it snows again.. You know July 1st to August 15th.
Love this story.Did you ever play with him again?
Nope, things fell through, and now my friend doesn't work at Sharon any more. Heh I don't even approach him when I see him at a live tournament. I'm sure he'd remember once I reminded him (like he did in the UBOC interview), but I'd hate being the 'Hey Phill, do you remember me?' guy. Some people it wouldn't bother me (DN for instance), but you know Phil is the type to make that convo as awkward as possible.

Great story! Thanks! :club:

Nope, things fell through, and now my friend doesn't work at Sharon any more. Heh I don't even approach him when I see him at a live tournament. I'm sure he'd remember once I reminded him (like he did in the UBOC interview), but I'd hate being the 'Hey Phill, do you remember me?' guy. Some people it wouldn't bother me (DN for instance), but you know Phil is the type to make that convo as awkward as possible.
lol...."Hey pal, do you KNOW how many people I meet? I mean, if I had a nickle for everytime someone said that to me, I wouldn't need to be a 10 time World Champion and greatest Holdem player of all time....." *walks away*
  • 1 year later...
Thought I'd bump this since the current Durr thread mentions it and reminded me of it.
Man, you need a hobby :)I don't even know how you do a search and actually find the thread you're looking for.
Man, you need a hobby :)I don't even know how you do a search and actually find the thread you're looking for.
Just searched PMJ's topics, which is what I usually do when I know what I'm looking for and by who. If I don't know by who it's a lot tougher. I use the search function never.
Don't forget he has no chat on Stars.So he's saving a ton of time by not typing....jlafkjlkjlkjdsfkljldsv;nkjljfkljklnvnlfhuvhnfvnjlkjdslfkjlkjfldsfjfjkljdsl over and over again!
hey Patrick I worked at Sharon when I was 14, just doing random odd jobs. its a great course.
Ha, did you? Small world. I only played out there a handful of times, but I enjoyed it. Sometimes those old courses can be kind of boring, but that one has a lot of playability.

PMJU gonna be in Vegas at all for WSOP?I'm there for FCP Golf outing thru the 8th.I would like to start a thread called....playing golf with pmj!!!!

Patrick, seeing is how this is over 2 1/2 years old now, can you divulge what Phil had to say about the other players?

Hmmm, let's see what other harmless, random info I can give you...Heh, Phil says you should have a scoop of tuna for lunch, because the only guy he knows who does is his 'billionare' friend.
Oh shit, that's what it was, tuna. My friend that played with us and I were trying to remember this a while back.
Patrick, seeing is how this is over 2 1/2 years old now, can you divulge what Phil had to say about the other players?
Hmmm...He named two players that he felt were the 'most' jealous of him and his success (at the time). A certain boggle playing blogger who no longer plays poker, and some other guy that is starting some poker training site, pokervt or something.
Hmmm...He named two players that he felt were the 'most' jealous of him and his success (at the time). A certain boggle playing blogger who no longer plays poker, and some other guy that is starting some poker training site, pokervt or something.
Shit, not boggle, scrabble. I've been watching too many King of the Hill re-runs
Shit, not boggle, scrabble. I've been watching too many King of the Hill re-runs
WHY IN THE FUCCCK WOULD DN EVER BE JEALOUS OF PH?DN has won more money than PH, probably has as much if not more money than PH, etc etc.
WHY IN THE FUCCCK WOULD DN EVER BE JEALOUS OF PH?DN has won more money than PH, probably has as much if not more money than PH, etc etc.
I would say this is most likely false.