poker and computer science...

Wtf...I hate math and I hate computers. The only thing good about them is internet poker and poker forums. I just hate to lose at anything especially if it involves money. I come from a long line of gambling degenerates so I guess that is where I get it. Btw I am an industrial distribution major. Never played MtG.

Me too, no degree on the wall though. Self schooled the last 5 years online for FREE! 8) Loved chess as a kid, problem solving, building a better mousetrap.I've always been self-emplayed in some creative line of work. I love this technology industry, its like Wildcattin' in the old oil boom days! Huge creative outlet too.Poker is a blast!The patience it has taught me is kind of amazing & has affected all areas of my life for the better. I'm not 1/2 the hothead I was just a few months ago. I thought I was pickin up another bad habit & its done nothing but good things! Fun, Challenge & finally into profit, after 2 months of learning. Winnin' more than I'm losin' lately :D

This is a very interesting post. I recently staked my good friend's boyfriend in a larger tournament down in vegas. He actually did quite well and I made quite the mint on my investment. Anyway, when he came back, he informed me that there was something quite odd about the players down there. THEY WERE ALL PLAYING MAGIC THE GATHERING. He inquired further, and he was told that most of the fellows playing had been involved in computer programming, computer science, etc. Incredible, he said. As the daughter of a wealthy industrialist, I myself had never played MtG before. However, I am determined to start playing poker, so I have decided to start playing Magic the Gathering for the next two months. If there is anyone who can tutor me online, please private message me, and hopefully we can determine a fee.Thank you for your time

I did play MtG, but I didn't really get too into it.I've always taken the other "nerdly" route. Reading TSR books, playing D&D, and MMORPGs (EQ, AO, WOW, SWG).I've always kinda been the pseudo-nerd. I've always had lots of friends, been popular in high school, played sports and am somewhat attractive, but I'm kind of a closet-nerd! =)Although I'm not really surprised, it's great to see that there is some sort of strong connection between being good at poker, and Computer Science/Engineering fields.I don't know about you all, but I've programmed a few poker simulators myself. A few have helped my game!

yup, John Murphy, David Williams, Matthias Anderson, and maybe even Thomas Keller, were all magic players before poker. Its a great game and I still play whenever I'm not playing poker. Strategy games just have a great allure to them don't they?