daniel and religion

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what exactly is that bigger picture? Usually, a claim like that would be backed up with actual facts.
bigger picture in terms of christianity necessarily being the "right" religeon, in terms of the contradictory nature of god from old to new testament, in terms of contradictions among the gospels, in terms of why god would want to leave any doubt about his existence or why his plan of salvation makes no sense. you have to use selective logic to justify any of that.
However, the argument goes somewhere along the lines of, the contradictions aren't really contradicitions, but merely different reports of the same things. Furthermore, if the Bible were to be dismissed that easily, it would've happened at the time the letters were originally written.Personally, I think you're using more selective logic, when you dismiss the Bible outright, but that may be just me. And as someone else said, about 1 out of 6 of us. However, that number is closer to 1 out of 3.....J :club:
i've got a crisp 5 dollar bill that says you went to catholic school or were otherwise raised catholic
You've got a piece of paper (5 dollar bill) that actually talks out loud - in English?
you've got a tampon (probably tampax) covered in your menstrual blood?!?antoniodoucheclown.jpgCONGRATS! YOU'RE DANISH!
However, the argument goes somewhere along the lines of, the contradictions aren't really contradicitions,  but merely different reports of the same things.
then why should they be so contradictory? that makes no sense - if they are 1st-hand accounts inspired by god, why would god want them to look fictional in any sense? the current consensus among objective scholars is that the gospels in the bible are 2nd-hand accounts, possibly all copied and embellished from a single source, some think the "gospel" of thomas.
Furthermore, if the Bible were to be dismissed that easily, it would've happened at the time the letters were originally written.
the modern bible and modern christianity didn't evolve till hundreds of years after the letters were written. early "christians" held widely varying beliefs, some of which would be considered pagan today. it's a myth that there was an organized church with uniform modern christian beliefs immediately after the time of jesus.
Personally, I think you're using more selective logic, when you dismiss the Bible outright, but that may be just me.
i'm not using selective logic. i've been actively and objectively looking for any evidence to believe in the bible/christianity most of my life, and i've never found any. all objective logical evidence clearly points in the opposite direction. to be a christian you pretty much have to dismiss objective logic and put on your tunnel vision glasses.

Hey all.Interesting discussion. So I'll put my two cents in. However, I should give you some background.First off, I consider myself an active Christian. I do believe that Jesus died for my sins. However, in university, I did a biology degree so I am educated in science as well. So, I guess you can say that I'm a student of both science and religion.As a Christian, do I reject the theory of evolution? The short answer is 'no'. The theory has enough evidence to have validity. Some species of whales have vestigal pelvic bones that have no functional use for example....so why do they have them?The biggest problem with some fundamentalist Christians is that they refuse to accept evolution or other items of such nature. Their reasons include that it goes against God. Personally, I don't believe this...if anything, it may prove his existence. Now about evolution.....after all this time, why hasn't the scientific community changed the "theory" of evolution to the "law" of evolution. Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics are laws because they can be proven with 100% certainly through mathematics and other such means. After all this time and all this study, why hasn't the theory of evolution taken this step in scientific circles? Although there is a lot of evidence, it can't be 100% proven. Thus, it is still a "theory".I mentioned earlier about science possibly proving God's existence. The book of Genesis talks about the creation of the world (darkness and nothingness until God says 'Let there be light')....could this be another way of saying "big bang theory"? This is just an example off the top of my head.I want to get to a question that hasn't been answered yet by anyone."If people don't believe in Jesus, do they go to hell?"John 3:16 states (to paraphrase):"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son so that those who believe in Him will not perish but receive eternal life."In a nutshell, those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God will go to heaven when they die. That part of the Bible does not state that those who reject are doomed to hell. If anything, all that can be inferred is that those who do not believe are not guaranteed to go to heaven.The Bible talks about how the Jews are God's favoured and chosen people. The Jewish nation have been heavily persecuted over the centuries but continue to grow and thrive despite this. They have had to endure things from the slave bondage in Egypt to the Holocaust of the second World War. Despite the best efforts of those who chose to remove these people from the planet, it was not done. If anything, it has made them stronger.Keep in mind that the modern nation of Israel has only existed since 1948 thus fulfilling prophecies outlined in the Bible about how the Israeli nation would be destroyed, have its members scattered to the corners of the earth and, two thousand years later, be re-gathered and re-formed (Ezek.37:1-11; Luke 21:29,30).This would be easier to discuss if I stop here and ask if there are any questions so far or points to discuss or require further elaboration.