i need some help toronto!!!

Hi all. I was hoping to get into this thing on Tues. but that doesn't seem likely. Therefore I am throwing myself at your feet for your collective knowledge.I have been playing online for almost 3 years now, and have almost figured out that I know almost nothing about this beautiful foolish game. I have almost no experience playing live tourneys or even home games really. Herein lies my problem:In the last week I have won seats at TWO live events...MAJOR live events (one next weekend) and have no idea how to keep my heart from pounding out of my chest/throat/face/shoulders/hands whenever I see a great hand. I need some instruction or examples/tutoring on how to detatch myself from my cards emotionally. Any and all advice is gratefully appreciated.Blessings,Bret

Hi all. I was hoping to get into this thing on Tues. but that doesn't seem likely. Therefore I am throwing myself at your feet for your collective knowledge.I have been playing online for almost 3 years now, and have almost figured out that I know almost nothing about this beautiful foolish game. I have almost no experience playing live tourneys or even home games really. Herein lies my problem:In the last week I have won seats at TWO live events...MAJOR live events (one next weekend) and have no idea how to keep my heart from pounding out of my chest/throat/face/shoulders/hands whenever I see a great hand. I need some instruction or examples/tutoring on how to detatch myself from my cards emotionally. Any and all advice is gratefully appreciated.Blessings,Bret
get drunk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- digitalmonkeyKeyboard Commando-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Joined: 13 Jan 2005Posts: 3965Location: seedless in Sudbury Re: i need some help toronto!!! Sun, Dec 4th, 7:56 pm -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ihaveanicepair wrote: Hi all. I was hoping to get into this thing on Tues. but that doesn't seem likely. Therefore I am throwing myself at your feet for your collective knowledge. I have been playing online for almost 3 years now, and have almost figured out that I know almost nothing about this beautiful foolish game. I have almost no experience playing live tourneys or even home games really. Herein lies my problem: In the last week I have won seats at TWO live events...MAJOR live events (one next weekend) and have no idea how to keep my heart from pounding out of my chest/throat/face/shoulders/hands whenever I see a great hand. I need some instruction or examples/tutoring on how to detatch myself from my cards emotionally. Any and all advice is gratefully appreciated. Blessings, Bret get drunk Any non-Newfie advice?

My best advice is to go out and purchase Mike Caro's Book of Poker Tells. While those tells probably won't help you pick off opponents at this level of tournament play (although it might for a couple), it'll show you what NOT to do.When I play with new players to live games there's ALWAYS some basic tells I can pick up right away:1. When they're all in or just made a raise, and they stare at you aggressively, trying to stare you down, it's usually a sign of weakness. If they look away from the game, and pretend not to be interested in what's happening or what your decision is going to be it's often a sign of strength.2. If a weak player hits a card on the flop, they generally stare at it for an extra second or two. This is a HUGE tell, and one that's tipped me off to hands so often in my home games I can't even fathom how much money I've made/saved off of it. Players who glance over the flops a couple of times generally didn't get helped by it (or sometimes they have a big pocket pair and are just making sure it's not coordinated enough to scare them)... this is another fairly big one.3. If someone goes all-in on you and you're debating calling, sometimes talking it out will help get a read. If you say something like "well I have two pair, what could you have that you'd bet like this, trips?" and they respond by pointing out something else they could have, or a reason for you to fold, it's usually weakness (if they wanted a call they generally wouldn't want to discourage you or point else what could have you beat)... this is different from the really strong/aggressive guy being like "Ya fold I've got the nuts". 4. If they're chewing gum, playing with chips, or doing something else repetative and they all of a sudden stop what they're doing when they make a raise (or you can notice that they stop breathing regularly), it's usually a sign of weakness.These are the four biggest ones I pick up on in my home games, and these are generally only done by weak/new players, although there's a couple of really strong technical players who give away their hands pretty often... the staring at the flop one is so ridiculously common I'd practice not staring at the card you hit before you go.... Reading this book will give you more of an idea what not to do, and explain it in greater depth.My advice for your big games is to pick a routine/face/expression which you stick to when you're in the hand, try and avoid touching your face or switching positions while someone's looking at you, and avoid eye contact.... and DO NOT talk to other players in the middle of a hand, (unless they're already all-in and you're trying to get a read off them) and DO NOT show your cards, no matter what the situation is. If you're really experienced and know what you're doing there are times, but live rookies tend to like to impress other people by showing, or when someone says "he's so full of shit" when you weren't.... DO NOT TALK AND DO NOT SHOW... trust me, I'm only an average player but I can usually pick a new player to live games out fairly quickly, and read him pretty accurately. If I can get him talking to me and showing me hands I've got him.If you're getting badly outplayed, and really think these people have a great read on you and are going to eat you alive.... start pushing preflop, take the skill out of the game from them.Good luck.

Very well written and helpful. My 1st one is in Belfast next week and the buy-in is almost $2000 US so it won't be populated with newbs like me. Actually that is another concern I have. The tourney is being hosted at a Poker/Cards Club and last year 7 of the final 9 were all from that club. Is it likely I will be facing a lot of collusion, and if so can I or should I be looking to do something about it or against it?BretPS Anyone want to hear some Evelyn Ng stories from highschool?

Very well written and helpful. My 1st one is in Belfast next week and the buy-in is almost $2000 US so it won't be populated with newbs like me. Actually that is another concern I have. The tourney is being hosted at a Poker/Cards Club and last year 7 of the final 9 were all from that club. Is it likely I will be facing a lot of collusion, and if so can I or should I be looking to do something about it or against it?BretPS Anyone want to hear some Evelyn Ng stories from highschool?
No Evelyn Ng stories unless they're positive/harmless.As for collusion there's almost nothing you can do about it in a private club like that, unless raise hell at the table if you see obvious soft-playing or chip dumping and ask to speak to the floorperson and be moved tables.

I like the ideas posted. I love playing live tourneys much more than online. One thing that I'd like to add is:most importantly, enjoy yourself. You won these seats by playin great poker. You know the game and what you're doing. Alot of these people sitting at the tables with you probably won their seats the same way. Or they're rich donk's. either case is +EV.When I play live tourneys I love to listen to music. I'd suggest doing this. Find the music you love and bring it along. For me there is nothing like a great song to pull you up after a bad beat. I almost always wear some comfortable stuff as well. I'd suggest wearing a sweatshirt or some type of pull over if you are overly concerned about giving off all sorts of tells. The hat/sunglasses stuff is all up to you, just don't go overboard. When i play live I can almost always pick out the donk qualifiers. They wear hats or shirts from pokerstars, party poker, ect. and they boast about great sessions online alot. Thats about all I've got. I'd definately suggest bringing the iPod along. I know you could miss out on some big verbal tells, but the advantage of the relaxing effects will outweigh this. Have fun, you can play with these guys- this is obvious.Best of luck.

Very well written and helpful. My 1st one is in Belfast next week and the buy-in is almost $2000 US so it won't be populated with newbs like me. Actually that is another concern I have. The tourney is being hosted at a Poker/Cards Club and last year 7 of the final 9 were all from that club. Is it likely I will be facing a lot of collusion' date=' and if so can I or should I be looking to do something about it or against it?BretPS Anyone want to hear some Evelyn Ng stories from highschool?[/quote']No Evelyn Ng stories unless they're positive/harmless.quote]I can assure you they are harmless and one is quite comical(ish) Those are the ones from school of course. I am not offering any others.

Well lets hear the Ev stories...also, good advice above except I wouldn't put too much stock in the gum chewing/chip shuffling one. Many players will stop chewing gum or shuffling when they peek down at a monster, I think this is the most unreliable one on his list, at least until you've PAID ATTENTION, and seen what a specific player does in the situation. (Notice the caps on pay atention?... thats because its the best advice anyone can give you, so pay attention!)Also, don't chew gum, lolGood Luck!

What you should do is let me play for you.  50/50 pay split.  It's that easy.
Unfortunately the plane, hotel and bankwire for my entry are already in my name. Are there any resources here?
What event and where is it??I think with regards to controling yourself, it really comes naturally for most things...one piece of advice...before you go, practice for a few hours, what your hands do while you are waiting, and how you bet...count and move your chips in the same way every time...call RAISE or CALL or RERAISE the same way everytime as well...the hands are the key...and watch the hands of others as well...see how they move their chips when they have the goods and when they don;t
Very well written and helpful. My 1st one is in Belfast next week and the buy-in is almost $2000 US so it won't be populated with newbs like me. Actually that is another concern I have. The tourney is being hosted at a Poker/Cards Club and last year 7 of the final 9 were all from that club. Is it likely I will be facing a lot of collusion' date=' and if so can I or should I be looking to do something about it or against it?BretPS Anyone want to hear some Evelyn Ng stories from highschool?[/quote']No Evelyn Ng stories unless they're positive/harmless.quote]I can assure you they are harmless and one is quite comical(ish) Those are the ones from school of course. I am not offering any others.
....so let's hear these Evelyn Ng stories...

That is a very good point. Call, raise and re-raise with the same motion/style every time. Regardless if you feel comfortable throwing them in, or placing them, do it the same way each time. The point is consistency always the same regardless of the act.

wear baggy clothes, a turtelneck a hat and glases cover up as much as u can cuz the pros will read u like a book unless they cant see any thing and try not to shake when u put chips in the pot the best way i know is jus fling them in there dont stack them cuz if u r shake it is easier to see that way when u stack em. u will calm down after a few rounds so dont get to nervious. but fear is easy to see dont let them see it