to berate or not to berate and dumbest call ever

why are people defending his call.  that was a terrible terrible god awful call.  it was a terrible call before the flop, terrible call when he had nothing after the flop, and terrible call after turn on inside straight.  even if he thought he was bluffing, and it was pretty obvious he wasn't, q high wouldn't be best anyways.  players like that sicken me.  if you are that bad then don't play.  i don't care if they lose in the long run.  i can't stand morons who have absolutely no conception how to play whatsoever.  if i saw that guy on the street i would punch him for being an idiot.
excatly.....why raise 7xBB
I would raise 7 BB with AA if I thought I would get action. Especially from fish like rwood described.
Guest XXEddie
I would raise 7 BB with AA if I thought I would get action. Especially from fish like rwood described.
then you need help on your game, only raise 7xBB if you only have 7xBB

Against poorer players I am a bit less aggressive with mid pair, top pair or two pair until after the river. I am also a bit less aggressive playing a set with a flush or straight draw on the board. If you were wondering why you're making a bit less money than a good agressive player in the same games...this is why.Not trying to get more money in when you're ahead is the silliest thing I've ever heard.Even a complete idiot isn't going to pay off your set when his flush draw MISSES.

Smash.....as posted it tournament play and its working well for me. I did not think you or some others would agree, however, against certain players I continue to play this way with great results. All in in a tournament is all gone if they out draw you.

Smash.....as posted it tournament play and its working well for me.  I did not think you or some others would agree, however, against certain players I continue to play this way with great results.  All in in a tournament is all gone if they out draw you.
So just cause they "might" out draw you, you won't make the proper play?That doesn't make much rational sense. It may seem correct based on some of your results...but man, it really doesn't make rational sense. You should try to get your money in w/ the best hand, or try to get draws to commit a large portion of their chips w/ only a draw. That's how you get chips, not hoping their 35% doesn't hit.And it is true that in some circumstances it "just depends". That's cool...just trying to understand...and i think i do and agree with what you are saying somewhat...however, at certain stages in tournies you have to take those risks...I could see playing a little more tightly or careful against weak opponents early on in tournies...but you gotta make the fish pay sometime.GL- Jordan

if you've played in low limit NL ring games you'll understand the 7x bb raise. if you raise the avg. bring in of 2.5 -3 xbb you will just get too much action for certain hands. if you raise to 1.5 or 2 dollars you will almost always get 4 or 5 callers. if you have a hand like AA or KK, then you understand that you wouldnt want 4 or 5 fu**ing callers! if you are in a loose game and you know that dumb players will call a 4 dollar raise, why not raise it up that much? oh yea and i did change the name on the post cuz i was playing on my gf's account. anyways, when playing the 25NL tables, raising it 6 or 7x the bb is necessary to limit the field of opponents, i have seen players call my 7xbb raises with J7 and other crap like that.

players like that sicken me. if you are that bad then don't play. i don't care if they lose in the long run. i can't stand morons who have absolutely no conception how to play whatsoever. if i saw that guy on the street i would punch him for being an idiot.So ... you don't like the players who will be donating so much of their money to you and the other good players out there (assuming you are actually a decent player)? That's silly.if you've played in low limit NL ring games you'll understand the 7x bb raise. if you raise the avg. bring in of 2.5 -3 xbb you will just get too much action for certain hands. if you raise to 1.5 or 2 dollars you will almost always get 4 or 5 callers. if you have a hand like AA or KK, then you understand that you wouldnt want 4 or 5 fu**ing callers! if you are in a loose game and you know that dumb players will call a 4 dollar raise, why not raise it up that much? oh yea and i did change the name on the post cuz i was playing on my gf's account. anyways, when playing the 25NL tables, raising it 6 or 7x the bb is necessary to limit the field of opponents, i have seen players call my 7xbb raises with J7 and other crap like that.Of course you want 4 or 5 callers when you have AA ... what, you don't like winning more money? When you have more callers, you lose pots more often, but the pots you win are so much larger that it more than makes up the difference.

Of course you want 4 or 5 callers when you have AA ... what, you don't like winning more money? When you have more callers, you lose pots more often, but the pots you win are so much larger that it more than makes up the difference.Well, not so much in NL. The overlay from multiple callers becomes much less of the relative final pot size in most cases. If you could get multiple callers for all their money, that'd be fine.

• 1 year later...
First of all, remember I only play no-limit tournaments, not ring games, so what works for me will not work for all. I also think many will not agree with me. What I have done is change the way I play against these type of players. If you are 70% favorite to win post flop, it still means you will lose if the hand plays to the river 30% of the time. Better players are trying to win pre-flop or post-flop, not drawing down to the river. You cannot do this with this type of opponent, due to their poor calls.Against poorer players I am a bit less aggressive with mid pair, top pair or two pair until after the river. I am also a bit less aggressive playing a set with a flush or straight draw on the board. When we bet big after the flop, it is to make the odds incorrect for a call. These players do not understand odds, so our big bet is useless. Try a 2BB or 3BB bet instead of a pot size bet. They are most likely coming along no matter what. If you get to the river and you still know you’re ahead, punish them. If your not sure, you are much less committed and can lay down if needed.When you do hit the nuts, take them all in with a couple of pot size or a bit larger bets post flop. They see all those chips in the pot and will call just about anything. I will also jump into hands with less than a great starting hand if one of these players is already in the pot. Its all about post flop with these guys. In tournaments it’s about getting their chips before other good players get them.
People will disagree with you because much of this is wrong. Case in point, playing in a tournament tonight, I have J-J MP and raise 3x the BB, aggressive BB pushes all in against my raise and I call, knowing I am most likely racing for half of my chips. He flips up A-Q and rivers an Ace. I will take that situation all day, even though he may hit, that is quite alright. These races must be taken to win tourneys, it is that simple. You said good players are trying to win pots preflop and postflop. Huh? I'm not even sure what you are trying to say except that good players are always trying to win? You are actually making an argument that you dont want players making bad calls because 30% of the time they might win? That's about as flawed as it gets.

What is the point of berating a player for the way they played a hand? What purpose does it serve other then a way for you to vent about how someone sucked one out on you? Can you sit there and tell us that you have never played a hand that you " had no business playing"? Who cares if someone did and got lucky and beat you. Part of the game is luck. Sure if you want to become a better player you would try to not play garbage hands, but this guy did and beat you. Move on to the next hand and let it go.

You need to berate this player for many reasons1) It will show him that you are a better player than he is, which you need to do right now because the pot says otherwise.2) You want him to play better. Make sure he stops calling all ins drawing very slim. If he keeps playing this badly, theres no WAY you can beat him!3) He might see the error of his ways and give some to all of the pot back to you. Couldn't hurt!

You need to berate this player for many reasons1) It will show him that you are a better player than he is, which you need to do right now because the pot says otherwise.2) You want him to play better. Make sure he stops calling all ins drawing very slim. If he keeps playing this badly, theres no WAY you can beat him!3) He might see the error of his ways and give some to all of the pot back to you. Couldn't hurt!
I concur ;-)
why are people defending his call. that was a terrible terrible god awful call. it was a terrible call before the flop, terrible call when he had nothing after the flop, and terrible call after turn on inside straight. even if he thought he was bluffing, and it was pretty obvious he wasn't, q high wouldn't be best anyways. players like that sicken me. if you are that bad then don't play. i don't care if they lose in the long run. i can't stand morons who have absolutely no conception how to play whatsoever. if i saw that guy on the street i would punch him for being an idiot.
I need players this bad in the game for me to make money :D I realize that doesn't say much about my own skill, but at least I'm realistic. I hate when I see players who seem to have overly aggressive personalities berate a fishy play. I don't want to see the fish scared from the table. I have also noted that many of the players who like to berate others frequently are very loose and overly aggressive in their play.....donating as much to the table as the so called fish....that really cracks me up :club:

God, this thread just personifies everyone out there who thinks they know how to play poker but is actually just terrible. The kind of people I want to punch in the stomach are the ones that come into a juicy game and start acting all snotty and superior to the poor players until they change and the game dries up.And the person who said you should never raise to 7xBB PF obviously knows how to play one style of poker and one style of poker only, and certainly hasn't spent much time playing live. I've played in games where you can raise to 10XBB PF and get 7 or 8 callers.There's plenty more stupid comments in this thread, but the idea of picking them all apart just sounds exhausting right now.

Worst fold I have seen was at my school (Texas State Uni.) the other week, the board showed A :D K :club: Q :D J :D 10 :) with 3 people still in the pot, and bout 12$ in it (.25/.50) First position leads out, 2nd calls, 3rd raises, first re-raises, 2nd folds.... I laughed for at least an hour about that one.
On a related note....I've been berated for betting in that situation when it was three handed, but 1 player did fold. The berater was complaining it would just increase the rake, but it is amazing how often people will fold then
God, this thread just personifies everyone out there who thinks they know how to play poker but is actually just terrible. The kind of people I want to punch in the stomach are the ones that come into a juicy game and start acting all snotty and superior to the poor players until they change and the game dries up.And the person who said you should never raise to 7xBB PF obviously knows how to play one style of poker and one style of poker only, and certainly hasn't spent much time playing live. I've played in games where you can raise to 10XBB PF and get 7 or 8 callers.There's plenty more stupid comments in this thread, but the idea of picking them all apart just sounds exhausting right now.
Well said

I sometimes write "nice play" in the chat box after watching my opponent slowplay to death a set of aces against me in LHE or some other stupid play.Ususally I just shut up, but they never get the sarcasm anyway and answer "ty" or something, often very funny, helps me avoid steaming when I get sucked out on badly.

I too, concur :club:
I sometimes write "nice play" in the chat box after watching my opponent slowplay to death a set of aces against me in LHE or some other stupid play.Ususally I just shut up, but they never get the sarcasm anyway and answer "ty" or something, often very funny, helps me avoid steaming when I get sucked out on badly.
I used this "nice play" tactic earlier in a tourney when a guy limp-called all in with 10-9 only to river his gut shot against my KK. He then proceeded to call me an "ahole." I told him not to get so bent out of shape because he won the pot! Other players at the table backed me up and he later got knocked out when he called all in after an all in and a call with KQ. I later busted on another bad beat.