The company handbook should have something pertaining to internet use. Most companies have policies against anything non work related. If you are behind a proxy everything you do online is logged. I'm in IT and we have a work-around in place to bypass our proxy. Now, to me, this poses another question. If you're just playing with PLAY MONEY, does that constitute as gambling, what would make it any different than solitare if you're not using real money? Ethics come into play on this one. :club:
What is a proxy server, and how do i know if i'm behind one?
A proxy is a server that sits between a client and a web server and represents itself to each end as being the other. It can be used in two ways. For the web server it can cache frequently accessed pages to reduce the web-server's traffic. For security of the LAN clients it can present a single IP address to the Internet and prevent direct access to the rest of the LAN. Another thing to think about is the company's firewall, or a third party app such as Websense. Both of those can completely block access to sites your company does not want you to visit. If you're going to setup a connection to your pc at home you'll want to make sure you have a static IP address for your internet connection. I have DSL and the IP changes frequently, I could pay the 10 extra bucks a month for 5 static addresses but I'm cheap. :D
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, to find out if you're behind a proxy, you can go to Tools, Internet Options from IE. Then choose the connections tab, then click the LAN Settings button at the bottom. IF the Proxy Server box is checked and there is info the fields, that's your proxy server. If not, you're not behind one.

Oh, to find out if you're behind a proxy, you can go to Tools, Internet Options from IE. Then choose the connections tab, then click the LAN Settings button at the bottom. IF the Proxy Server box is checked and there is info the fields, that's your proxy server. If not, you're not behind one.
There is a proxy server address, but the box is not selected. The fields are grayed out, but there is a box checked that says "bypass proxy server for local address" How should I proceed knowing that I am not behind one. I was thinking about using guinevar's idea of loading stars onto a USB flash drive. Your thoughts?
There is a proxy server address, but the box is not selected. The fields are grayed out, but there is a box checked that says "bypass proxy server for local address" How should I proceed knowing that I am not behind one. I was thinking about using guinevar's idea of loading stars onto a USB flash drive. Your thoughts?
It sounds like you were behind one at some point but it's turned off, at least in your browser. If you can still access the internet without it checked then you aren't using it. The only thing I would worry about is a firewall that logs activity. If the site was restricted, the firewall wouldn't let you through.
Are you connected to a network? Gambling sites are not blocked on my computer, but I'm afraid that if I download Stars company tech guys will bust down my door and smash my computer.
Put a few bucks on a site that you don't have to download (like Poker Room, or Hollywood Poker), that way you don't have to download a thing.

I own a software company with 40 employees and if I caught someone playing at work, they would get one warning and if caught again, they would be walked out the door.Don't take this the wrong way, but if I'm paying you good money like I do, I expect the time at my shop to be working for me and not playing. Also I pay for the bandwidth so I want it to be used for my company and customers use.

Are you connected to a network? Gambling sites are not blocked on my computer, but I'm afraid that if I download Stars company tech guys will bust down my door and smash my computer.
Put a few bucks on a site that you don't have to download (like Poker Room, or Hollywood Poker), that way you don't have to download a thing.
Read the thread before you post please.
I own a software company with 40 employees and if I caught someone playing at work, they would get one warning and if caught again, they would be walked out the door.Don't take this the wrong way, but if I'm paying you good money like I do, I expect the time at my shop to be working for me and not playing. Also I pay for the bandwidth so I want it to be used for my company and customers use.[/quotewhen moses came to Egypt land.....let my people go...taskmaster.
when moses came to Egypt land.....let my people go...taskmaster.
That's great! Always think of Ferris Bueller's Day Off when I see that line. I'm a lab technician for UGA until I start medical school in August so I'm fortunate enough to be able to play tons of poker while at work. Figure I need to get it out of my system because there won't be much time for playing in the near future

I have read a lot of the relpies, and my opinion is, Poker at work is always -EV if you are worried about getting caught. Unless you are okayed by your boss or you are the boss, I think it is a way to lose money in the long run.JEFF

Get a laptop with wireless connection. Go to your car on breaks, roll down the windows, and voila!
Again my point on the "Bad in the Longrun," it just seems stupid to me. I like to put in a long session, not a hit and run where I lose big or win big, blah.JEFF
The only other thing I can come up with, and I'm not sure how it works or if IS could detect it, would be to remote access your PC at home.  That way, you wouldn't have to download the app to your work PC and that could possibly get around any network sniffers to see what you're doing.  I think it involves allowing permissions though from your home PC (IP addy's and such) and I just realized after typing all this that I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about but rather regurgitating what my brother-in-law tried to explain to me drunk one night....
This is a good idea. Windows XP Pro is set up for this. They would not be able to detect you through network traffic since all traffic back to your home computer would be incrypted. However, the only risks are:a) Someone walking by seeing you... (obvious)B) a program that lets your company see your desktop. Some companies, especially more advanced ones have this kind of thing for the help desk. However, this is rare and I am not sure if they can see your desktop without your persmission first.That being said, I have never tried and don't try it unless you are sure.... finally don't get caught.
I think accessing your home computer remotely will get around this, as the internet requests to the poker site will go through your home connection. I'm not positive on this.
This is true... and you have the added bonus of them seeing the remote acess port being used. That shouldn't raise to many alarms especailly since some companies actual use remote desktop for buisness functions.
The only other thing I can come up with, and I'm not sure how it works or if IS could detect it, would be to remote access your PC at home.  That way, you wouldn't have to download the app to your work PC and that could possibly get around any network sniffers to see what you're doing.  I think it involves allowing permissions though from your home PC (IP addy's and such) and I just realized after typing all this that I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about but rather regurgitating what my brother-in-law tried to explain to me drunk one night....
This is a good idea. Windows XP Pro is set up for this. They would not be able to detect you through network traffic since all traffic back to your home computer would be incrypted. However, the only risks are:a) Someone walking by seeing you... (obvious)B) a program that lets your company see your desktop. Some companies, especially more advanced ones have this kind of thing for the help desk. However, this is rare and I am not sure if they can see your desktop without your persmission first.That being said, I have never tried and don't try it unless you are sure.... finally don't get caught.
If this were happening you would know.

Here's a little tip to use if you choose to play at work. Keep another window open, such as your inbox or something else work related, when you're playing poker. If someone walks by hit the "alt" button on your keybroad and then hit the "tab" button. This allows your computer to switch between screens. I never play poker without my fingers on those two keys. The only problem with this is that when it's your turn on the poker site, the window will automatically come back up until you switch it again.

Here's a little tip to use if you choose to play at work. Keep another window open, such as your inbox or something else work related, when you're playing poker. If someone walks by hit the "alt" button on your keybroad and then hit the "tab" button. This allows your computer to switch between screens. I never play poker without my fingers on those two keys. The only problem with this is that when it's your turn on the poker site, the window will automatically come back up until you switch it again.
stealthswitch.jpghttp://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/76ed/
The company handbook should have something pertaining to internet use. Most companies have policies against anything non work related. If you are behind a proxy everything you do online is logged. I'm in IT and we have a work-around in place to bypass our proxy. Now, to me, this poses another question. If you're just playing with PLAY MONEY, does that constitute as gambling, what would make it any different than solitare if you're not using real money? Ethics come into play on this one. :club:
What is a proxy server, and how do i know if i'm behind one?
A proxy is a server that sits between a client and a web server and represents itself to each end as being the other. It can be used in two ways. For the web server it can cache frequently accessed pages to reduce the web-server's traffic. For security of the LAN clients it can present a single IP address to the Internet and prevent direct access to the rest of the LAN. Another thing to think about is the company's firewall, or a third party app such as Websense. Both of those can completely block access to sites your company does not want you to visit. If you're going to setup a connection to your pc at home you'll want to make sure you have a static IP address for your internet connection. I have DSL and the IP changes frequently, I could pay the 10 extra bucks a month for 5 static addresses but I'm cheap. :D
Check out http://www.dyndns.com. Works great.

the other week i was in a cell phone store and the guy was dealing with a customer while on his computer i couldnt see the screen but it was obviously partypoker sounds this was just confirmed when he silently mouthed **** then got off the computer and couldnt take his eyes off the screen