friggin superstition

Now 1st off, i know that as poker players/gamblers, if you think for a second that a certain seat, or the way you look at your cards will change the outcome, then you might have a problem.But of course most of us, if not all, have some sort of "superstitious type" behaviour or routine while playing.I know for me thers a couple things. 1- i always look at my cards with the last ones on top - holdem, 2nd card on top. omaha,- 4th card on top.I have a few songs i wont listen to while playing, i dont know why, just feel like they are bad luckif you believe any of these are factual reasons to get good cards please visite the followingwww.gamblersanonymous.org/

Now 1st off, i know that as poker players/gamblers, if you think for a second that a certain seat, or the way you look at your cards will change the outcome, then you might have a problem.But of course most of us, if not all, have some sort of "superstitious type" behaviour or routine while playing.I know for me thers a couple things. 1- i always look at my cards with the last ones on top - holdem, 2nd card on top. omaha,- 4th card on top.I have a few songs i wont listen to while playing, i dont know why, just feel like they are bad luckif you believe any of these are factual reasons to get good cards please visite the followingwww.gamblersanonymous.org/
Yeah, I just started putting my chip stacks in vertical columns of 20, 5 deep to my left. Usually works best in seats 2-3 or 7-8. For some reaon I believe this is an advantage, however not lately. Maybe a new design is needed :club:

I've been running into this thing.....the 3rd time I go all in, in a tournament...I lose the hand.Just the other day....my 3rd time going all in...I have KK....I go all in pre flop (all I had was about 3x the BB left in my stack).....button calls with 3 :club: 4 :D .....two 4's hit on the flop.....me go home. I think the last 10 or so tournaments.....it was 3 and out. The only tournaments that I have won...I only went in 2 times. Now I'm actually nervous to go all in three times and it censors my play all up. Damn you superstition.

I've been running into this thing.....the 3rd time I go all in, in a tournament...I lose the hand.Just the other day....my 3rd time going all in...I have KK....I go all in pre flop (all I had was about 3x the BB left in my stack).....button calls with 3 :club: 4 :D .....two 4's hit on the flop.....me go home.  I think the last 10 or so tournaments.....it was 3 and out.  The only tournaments that I have won...I only went in 2 times.  Now I'm actually nervous to go all in three times and it censors my play all up.  Damn you superstition.
i know u know but im gonna be a b1tch anyways.(all I had was about 3x the BB left in my stack).....

I'm not a very superstititous person, buit i have certain little things in poker that i dont like to do. I'm always finding new things that i call 'unlucky' although, i dont know that it has no effect on the outcome on anything. I never like to play the 1st hand in any game. Try to never do it, but of course, when you have a good starting hand, im not folding it because of this. But if i have good pos, and a mediocre hand, one that might be cause for a limp, i wont do it. I hate starting on the blinds, and i dont know why. I guess one thing is because if i start on BB, im probably playing the first hand, which is a no no. And i dont know, i just dont like it. I also have a little toy animal from a kinder surprise or something, that brings me 'goodluck' lol. It sits ontop of my chips, and i like to think it brings me good luck. lol, Because, i need all the luck i can get!

I'm not a very superstititous person, buit i have certain little things in poker that i dont like to do. I'm always finding new things that i call 'unlucky' although, i dont know that it has no effect on the outcome on anything. I never like to play the 1st hand in any game. Try to never do it, but of course, when you have a good starting hand, im not folding it because of this. But if i have good pos, and a mediocre hand, one that might be cause for a limp, i wont do it.  I hate starting on the blinds, and i dont know why. I guess one thing is because if i start on BB, im probably playing the first hand, which is a no no. And i dont know, i just dont like it.  I also have a little toy animal from a kinder surprise or something, that brings me 'goodluck' lol. It sits ontop of my chips, and i like to think it brings me good luck. lol, Because, i need all the luck i can get!
I don't like to play the first hand either. Although coming into a game I do love to be the "Action" guy, just not on the first hand for some reason. Although like you, I'm not folding a good hand because of this, and also like you I most certainly will not limp with a mediocore hand, I'm either in for a raise or I fold. (Yea I OF my BB)

For me, i have this weird thing that when I receive my cards, I take the top card and shuffle underneath the bottom card 3 times, and always 3 times. I am also VERY anal about how I stack my chips. At a home game, I have stacks of 10, and only ten, and the symbols on the chips have to be aligned perfectly. My high value chips are on the left, and proceed to the right with lower value chips. In larger home games, if 2 different sets of chips are used, I always trade with other players to make sure all chips in a certain stack are aligned with the same pattern, no orphans from the other set are allowed. If the chip sets have the same pattern but slightly faded or whatever, I align all the chips of the same color first, and then faded chips get aligned as well. No alternating of faded/non-faded chips allowed.This is probably very OCD, but whatever, it works for me.

My only superstition in Holdem is when i am all in and called i like to throw my cards out on the table first . Makes no difference what so ever to the outcome but i just like to do it.

For me, i have this weird thing that when I receive my cards, I take the top card and shuffle underneath the bottom card 3 times, and always 3 times.  .
somebody get this guy some meds.hahah just kidding bud. ......ya psycho

I'm not sure if I should put this in this reply or in the tells one. I play with a guy who usually is very good that has this one tell that I have picked up on that is one of his superstitions. When he does this, I know he's got a middle of the road hand that he's trying to will to be better. I can take him down most times I see him do this. I would mention it, but he frequences this site and might pick up on it, and I like taking his money too much to tell him.

I've got a cheap little toy bobblehead thing that I use as a card-protector and my school's mascot (my avatar) bobblehead that absolutely must be protecting my chips when I play. I'm also pretty OCD about my chips, but definitely don't do anything like arrange them by color fadeness or anything like that. But they must be stacked perfectly...always. Stacks of 10 in a sort of pyramid shape when I get enough of them. It's the power stack. Note, however, that I first saw this at Turning Stone when Aseem bought into a 2/4 or 3/6 limit game with 400 $1 chips. It was absolutely hilarious to see, so I stole it.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but since it hasn't been mentioned thus far, I figured I'd be the guy to do it. Everyone's listing their various superstitions, and the explanations "I don't know why I do it," "I know it doesn't actually improve my luck," and "I just play worse if I don't" always pop up But that's the thing about superstitions, isn't it? It's not that shuffling your cards or stacking your chips a certain way is going to make you play better, but not doing that thing you do every single time IS going to make you play worse, because rituals and superstitions create a comfort zone, so when you break it you get rattled and lose confidence, even if you don't realize it consciously.I guess no matter how good a player is, he/she is still at the mercy of the cards and how they fall to a large extent, so having a ritual gives you some measure of control, which allows you to play at your best.Of course, I grew up playing baseball, a sport whose players are borderline OCD, so I've had reason to think about superstition a fair bit. To me the best thing about poker is that there aren't any baselines for me to avoid stepping on between innings...or innings, for that matter.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but since it hasn't been mentioned thus far, I figured I'd be the guy to do it. Everyone's listing their various superstitions, and the explanations "I don't know why I do it," "I know it doesn't actually improve my luck," and "I just play worse if I don't" always pop up But that's the thing about superstitions, isn't it? It's not that shuffling your cards or stacking your chips a certain way is going to make you play better, but not doing that thing you do every single time IS going to make you play worse, because rituals and superstitions create a comfort zone, so when you break it you get rattled and lose confidence, even if you don't realize it consciously.I guess no matter how good a player is, he/she is still at the mercy of the cards and how they fall to a large extent, so having a ritual gives you some measure of control, which allows you to play at your best.Of course, I grew up playing baseball, a sport whose players are borderline OCD, so I've had reason to think about superstition a fair bit. To me the best thing about poker is that there aren't any baselines for me to avoid stepping on between innings...or innings, for that matter.

When I play on-line and I need a specific card to come out, I always invisibly draw the number, letter and/or suit of the card I need with the mouse.I have no data to back up my "strategy"...
I may be a little wacky with mine......But......You are fukin' nuts.

Hey, how about that guy in this year's WSOP ME who was scared to play any hands during the first hour because he was always eliminated early. Instead, he read a book and as soon as he picked up his first hand, it was a monster so he got all his chips in but lost! AHHAHA

When I play on-line and I need a specific card to come out, I always invisibly draw the number, letter and/or suit of the card I need with the mouse.I have no data to back up my "strategy"...
I may be a little wacky with mine......But......You are fukin' nuts.
You sound like my therapist. Damn, do I have to overpay you also?
Hey, how about that guy in this year's WSOP ME who was scared to play any hands during the first hour because he was always eliminated early. Instead, he read a book and as soon as he picked up his first hand, it was a monster so he got all his chips in but lost! AHHAHA
Yeah, reading at a tourney is definitely -EV. :wink: