is there anyway, you get away from this?

Heads up in a SNG tournament.Hand #4385488-97 at SnG-0027g (No Limit Hold'em Sit and Go)Powered by UltimateBetStarted at 11/Feb/05 12:09:12 lokibeat is at seat 1 with 4365. dessli is at seat 6 with 5635. The button is at seat 6. dessli posts the small blind of 100. lokibeat posts the big blind of 200. lokibeat: 5d 9c dessli: -- --Pre-flop: dessli calls. lokibeat checks. Flop (board: Kc 3s 9h): lokibeat bets 400. dessli calls. I bet because I got a piece of it. If he has the king, I'm guessing he checks unless he has a good kicker, or raises me and I fold.Turn (board: Kc 3s 9h 9d):"Star-spangled banner going off in his head..." lokibeat checks. dessli checks. I'm slowplaying this wondering if he'll think I may have the nine. I'm was definitely hoping to CR on this.River (board: Kc 3s 9h 9d Ah):Ace is a blank here to me, if he'd had an ace, he would have raised pre-flop, no? lokibeat bets 650. Value-bet, I'm hoping he raises, cuz I'm moving all in.dessli raises to 3150. Bingo!lokibeat goes all-in for 3765. dessli calls. Bam! Tournament all-in showdown -- players show: lokibeat shows 5d 9c. dessli shows 9s Kd.:shock: Showdown: lokibeat has 9c Kc 9h 9d Ah: three nines. dessli has 9s Kd Kc 9h 9d: full house, nines full of kings.Hand #4385488-97 Summary: No rake is taken for this hand. dessli wins 8730 with full house, nines full of kings.----------------------------------------------------------------Oh, well, second place. Grrrr.I'm guessing I need to figure out when he raises me almost all in what he has. I didn't think about it at all. I just thought I had the winner. It was perhaps a weak hand, but heads up, I'm not thinking I'm beat with the set and no flush possibilities. If he'd raised pre-flop, maybe I'm a bit wary.This is what frustrates me about poker, how do you get good enough to avoid this situation.

I think I might have bet on the turn, heres where you could have found out some more information about his hand, you could have seen there if he would have smooth called or raised you. Although its very easy to say all this after the fact because if i was in your situation i probably would have done the same thing

There is almost no way to avoid this hand once you got to the turn. And I like your flop play just fine in reality since it was HU unraised pot. You should probably do what you did on the flop. But yeah, once you were there on the turn, it's gonna be really hard to give up.My one criticism is why did you (and so many people) try to checkraise and slowplay suddenly when you turned trips? It's not like he's going to be putting you on the 9 when you bet out on the K9x flop. Just bet another normal bet, and see what he does. He called on the flop so you'd assume he had a King. Obviously in this exact case he had flopped top two and was slowplaying you. But I don't see a reason to suddenly start slowplaying since he's already called your solid flop bet.Oh laugh, I don't know that I realized this was HU on the end of a SnG. Ok trying to slowplay makes a hell of a lot more sense. Like you bluffed the flop and decided to give up. Ok cancel my "criticism" in regards to you here in this hand. But the question still remains. Why do people suddenly slow down when they hit a turn to make their hand stronger? I see it ALL the time.

I really don't think you, or most people, will be able to get away from this hand.Your flop play was fine, anytime you get a piece of the flop HU you are going to bet out since you are probably ahead. I don't see a reason to slow-play on the turn though, even though its heads up. Make a reasonable pot-sized bet and see what he does. He may re-raise or call. If he re-raises, then you have to make a decision but I still think you will end up all-in since it would be hard to imagine that your opponent also has a nine when you are HU (which unfortunately he did, but that's just a tough break). If he simply calls, and then the river action is similar, you again have a tough choice, but I still think its likely you will end up all-in and losing just because its very hard to lay down that kind of hand HU.

• 9 months later...

Without reading replies..Very doubtful you get away from this.You hit your gin card on the turn(so we thought), if you're laying this down, I think you're a little too close to the weak/tight area.He does this same play with two pair/naked ace/bluff to buy the pot.I guess if I had to condense it; it's heads up, what can you really wait for?This one's for you, Merby.

Without reading replies..Very doubtful you get away from this.You hit your gin card on the turn(so we thought), if you're laying this down, I think you're a little too close to the weak/tight area.He does this same play with two pair/naked ace/bluff to buy the pot.I guess if I had to condense it; it's heads up, what can you really wait for?This one's for you, Merby.
No, it's a tough laydown HU. I probably go bust on this hand too.Sorry for the slow response, DrawingDead: I went focused on getting more work done for a couple of hours. This is my last post today: I'm about to head off to work.Cheers,Merby
No, it's a tough laydown HU. I probably go bust on this hand too.Sorry for the slow response, DrawingDead: I went focused on getting more work done for a couple of hours. This is my last post today: I'm about to head off to work.Cheers,Merby
Heh, good luck out there.

I'm with the majority here, HU its very tough to lay trips down, especially when your opponent shows no strength until the A hit the river. I think the hand was well played by both people and beating yourself up over this hand is futile. As TJ Cloutier would say, "That's poker."

You hear the star spangled banner, and I hear trips, no kicker, out of position, heads up, in a sit-n-go.Yes, it's impossible to get away from this situation.That's aaaaaall I'm saying.

You hear the star spangled banner, and I hear trips, no kicker, out of position, heads up, in a sit-n-go.Yes, it's impossible to get away from this situation.That's aaaaaall I'm saying.
I'd like for ya to elaborate.I don't really see many people folding this.Are you saying you'd fold?

I'm saying I go broke here too.I think I'm a pretty good player. When I go broke frequently, *and* can't help it, I question the game.Sit and go's effing suck for making long-term money precisely because of situations like this.Discuss.