taking occassional 'shots' at higher limits

i kno there's lot of discussion about this but let me say this againdont do itafter many suck outs and tilting, moved to 5/10 from my usual .50/1. i've done this many times and managed to win in few sessions.thinking i can do it again, risked my whole BR of 610.long story short i left with 310. could've been worse cuz the intensity of tiltness was cubed after losing that much.lost 30 BB which is equivalent to 300BB at my limits.had struggle sleeping anyways, other ppl in this forum kno what they are talking about.listen to them.if you dont, you'll lose money*sigh* thinking i have to make up 300BB makes me sick.

*sigh* thinking i have to make up 300BB makes me sick.
If you're going to spew.... spew in this...... *hands cup*Well, atleast you learned something from this experience. It's good you're sharing this info, as with the new influx of people on this site i wouldn't be suprised of a large number of them 'taking shots'

Why are you playing .5/1 with enough of a BR to play 1/2? Well, had enough of a br... tough break.Back in Jan. when I first started playing poker, I would go on tilt and play 5/10 NL, fortunately I came out ahead almost everytime. Always a pain to learn the hardway.

*sigh* thinking i have to make up 300BB makes me sick.
If you're going to spew.... spew in this...... *hands cup*Well, atleast you learned something from this experience. It's good you're sharing this info, as with the new influx of people on this site i wouldn't be suprised of a large number of them 'taking shots'
If you wanted to take a shot at a higher limit you should have played 1/2 or 2/4... not 5/10. Why would you play at 10 times your normal limit?
i second this, i play 5/10 and when i take shots i dont go to 30/60 or 50/100, thats just insane, you should only just 1 or 2 levels, not 5 levels
every player has to take shotsgood players do it when they are playing there best, not when they are tilting
I disagree, there's no reason someone has to take risks like this. Building a bankroll gradually can get boring but it's also the surest way to advance.But if you're going to take a shot, try something a wee bit safer than 10x your usual stakes. Maybe have a look at a $50 or $100NL game if you want to have a chance to jump up.

after losing 100BB playing .50/1, jumped up to 5/10 with my whole wad of 175, totallly insane. 2nd hand catch a nut flush against a set, win a 200 dollar pot, putting my bankroll well back over 300, get all giddy and then end up losing it all back in 4 hands. Damn Royal Flush Draw.FOrd

every player has to take shotsgood players do it when they are playing there best, not when they are tilting
I disagree, there's no reason someone has to take risks like this. Building a bankroll gradually can get boring but it's also the surest way to advance.But if you're going to take a shot, try something a wee bit safer than 10x your usual stakes. Maybe have a look at a $50 or $100NL game if you want to have a chance to jump up.
And i disagree with this.Taking shots is an easy way to boost your bankroll...you just have to know how to do it correctly.First you take your normal bankroll of X time 300 BB...For instance 3K for a 5/10 game. Once you build yourself up enough 20BB or so into a game that you don't quite have the BR for say your up to 3,400. You can take that 400 and sit in at 10/20 game as long as you understand that if you lose that your back to grinding 5/10.I do it all the time and is usually how i end up making that next level that i'm shooting for my current level for grinding.
been there...done that.it's a really bad feeling. especially when you tell yourself to stop, but just can't. atleast you can learn from this
i hate that. i tend to be very compulsive. but getting better at it every time
And i disagree with this.Taking shots is an easy way to boost your bankroll...you just have to know how to do it correctly.First you take your normal bankroll of X time 300 BB...For instance 3K for a 5/10 game. Once you build yourself up enough 20BB or so into a game that you don't quite have the BR for say your up to 3,400. You can take that 400 and sit in at 10/20 game as long as you understand that if you lose that your back to grinding 5/10.I do it all the time and is usually how i end up making that next level that i'm shooting for my current level for grinding.
you should not take shots simply because you have enough money. you should take shots because you have enough money and enough skill.

if you normally play .50 1.00 and want to take a shot at a higher game why jump all the way up to 5-10? take a shot at 2 4 instead, much smaller variance for your roll.

I'm not sure what I agree with but this is what I think...you have to take shots. every pro does, Jen harmon has said many times that she gambled in higher games to see if she could beat them and if she couldn't she moved back down and started grinding again.Daniel obviously took shots, he said he was playing 80/160 with a $3200 bankroll.Taking a shot is a good thing to try, but only when:1. you're winning at your current level2. you are not tilting on any way3. you are focused to win and playing your best4. you are only taking a shot at one or maybe two levels higher than your current brimo
anyways, other ppl in this forum kno what they are talking about.listen to them.if you dont, you'll lose money*sigh* thinking i have to make up 300BB makes me sick.
ahh such wisdom

I can think of at least three occasions where I went on pretty bad tilt after losing a lot of my bankroll where I would jump up into the bigger levels, and all three times I was lucky enough to build it back up and then some.

I don't know what to do anymore i feel like im a fish. Im doing well im the tournaments ive been playing in lately but my regualar 2/4 limit ring games which is where i make all my money, i can't do anything im going through money like its going out of style. Honestly i sit there a feel like a the biggest fish in the world. Im completly gun shy. Ill start out play aggresive as i should but then people keep catching on me and i am reluctant to bet i know this is bad but it seems like my TP TK is getting check raise every single hand when someone makes 2 pair or a stright. I had bad runs like this before but never this bad. My bankroll was up to 1000 like ten days ago and now its down to like 300 or something. Im gonna have to quit poker if i can't turn this around fast. I need serious help.

I don't know what to do anymore i feel like im a fish. Im doing well im the tournaments ive been playing in lately but my regualar 2/4 limit ring games which is where i make all my money, i can't do anything im going through money like its going out of style. Honestly i sit there a feel like a the biggest fish in the world. Im completly gun shy. Ill start out play aggresive as i should but then people keep catching on me and i am reluctant to bet i know this is bad but it seems like my TP TK is getting check raise every single hand when someone makes 2 pair or a stright. I had bad runs like this before but never this bad. My bankroll was up to 1000 like ten days ago and now its down to like 300 or something. Im gonna have to quit poker if i can't turn this around fast. I need serious help.
bankroll management help it seems like. and probably tilt management.
don't worry about "turning it around fast," just try sticking to the 300bb "rule" and keep playing your game. If you play less aggressively because you're scared of being sucked out on, then you shouldn't be playing at that limit. Move down for a bit and re-evaluate your game. If you feel tilt, just take a break.
I dont believe a word of this- a real player knows exact numbers. Like a 1000, 300 or something? Cmon.
I disagree with this. I think calling it 'taking a shot' is just trying to give yourself a reason to play outside your bankroll. Playing outside your bankroll is a sure way to go bust. I'm not saying that people taking a shot will all go bust but they sure have a better chance at it than someone who is playing fully rolled.