how to deal with the stress

I need some advice from hardcore MTT players,I'm mainly a cash game player, but i do play MTT's once or twice a week, I tend to always go deep, usually hitting or just misisng the money, a few wins, and several FT's.Now the only thing is, i find losing after 3 hours of solid play extremely annoying and fills me with rage. cash games wont do this to meHow do you guys deal with it, besides the whole "thats poker" motto.Is there anything?

I played a MTT a little while ago and went from chip leader , to out in 9th in about 15 minutes. You look at that 1st place money and want to scream. I just look at what I did make and then go crush a few people in HU $10 tourneys. Speakinf that, I just played my quickest HU ever. 1st hand ME: A-AHim: ?I limp, he raises it up x4I think for a sec , and push. He calls with A-J. I win, game over.

Can you choose to not bust out? Then you wouldnt be annoyed, because it wouldnt have happened.Seriously though, take it in your stride, and hopefully you have learnt something to take into your next MTT. If i have learnt something in a MTT, yet havent cashed, then im still happy, because i have become a better player, and will benefit more from it, than if i had have just won the tourney. And you need to get it out of your system, from cash games, that you will be able to be up in the majority of sessions. In tourneys, your not going to be able to win every one...except if your me :wink: So just keep at it, and you will get a breakthrough, that will make up for all the ones you have missed.

yeah i used to be that way too, till i won my first tourney and you realize all those hours of solid play were for this big score.other then that rub one out
i wish it were that simple.But I've won large tourneys before. live and online. Its the tourneys you have where you're on fire, and you're playing strong poker, but then get sucked out on bad after 2 or 3 hours right around bubble time, or just shortly after.it gets me soo annoyed i dont even think about rubbing one out, although i am behind schedual, so it might just be that, considering this is the 1st time i felt the need to post about stress
yeah i used to be that way too, till i won my first tourney and you realize all those hours of solid play were for this big score.other then that rub one out
i wish it were that simple.But I've won large tourneys before. live and online. Its the tourneys you have where you're on fire, and you're playing strong poker, but then get sucked out on bad after 2 or 3 hours right around bubble time, or just shortly after.it gets me soo annoyed i dont even think about rubbing one out, although i am behind schedual, so it might just be that, considering this is the 1st time i felt the need to post about stress
If you cant think about rubbing one out then just look at your old signature and that will cure that.Actually, having a nice stiff drink while trying not to think about poker really helps. Afterward, the suckouts and mistakes dont seem to sting so much anymore
lol. ya, i think its just been a tired long week for me.I'll take the advice, i'l let u guys know how it goes in 3 minutes. :wink:
Tell Courtney I said hello , and I'll call the biatch later.
I need some advice from hardcore MTT players,I'm mainly a cash game player, but i do play MTT's once or twice a week, I tend to always go deep, usually hitting or just misisng the money, a few wins, and several FT's.Now the only thing is, i find losing after 3 hours of solid play extremely annoying and fills me with rage. cash games wont do this to meHow do you guys deal with it, besides the whole "thats poker" motto.Is there anything?
One answer is not to play in tournaments. Seriously. The tournament style of play doesn't suit everyone. If it happens not to suit you, if you don't get enough of what attracts you to poker in the first place, play cash games, or single-table sit-and-goes, or something else entirely. Alternatively, you can try to learn to appreciate and like aspects of tournament play that have nothing to do with winning or losing. If you can manage this, then you will find something sustainng about playing tournaments that can keep you going while you wait for luck, in combination with whatever skills you bring to the table, to bring you your money finishes.One thing that helps is playing a lot of tournaments. By doing so, you make winning or making money in any particular tournament less important because there's always the next one. This is one of the appeals of the big tournament series, with a new tourney every day. If you bust out early in today's event, there is always tomorrow's, or maybe a second-chance tournament in the evening, single-table satellites and supersatellites, to say nothing of juicy cash games.Does this help any?
One answer is not to play in tournaments. Seriously. The tournament style of play doesn't suit everyone. If it happens not to suit you, if you don't get enough of what attracts you to poker in the first place, play cash games, or single-table sit-and-goes, or something else entirely. Alternatively, you can try to learn to appreciate and like aspects of tournament play that have nothing to do with winning or losing. If you can manage this, then you will find something sustainng about playing tournaments that can keep you going while you wait for luck, in combination with whatever skills you bring to the table, to bring you your money finishes.One thing that helps is playing a lot of tournaments. By doing so, you make winning or making money in any particular tournament less important because there's always the next one. This is one of the appeals of the big tournament series, with a new tourney every day. If you bust out early in today's event, there is always tomorrow's, or maybe a second-chance tournament in the evening, single-table satellites and supersatellites, to say nothing of juicy cash games.Does this help any?
AlanBostick, I nominate you for noobie of the year!!, in your short time here, you have posted some of the best posts i've read.Its funny, cuz the tournament style actually does suit me, Very much in fact.I love tourneys, i love live over online, but still. Theres something about the large fields and high amounts of chips that excite me. I think it has just been a long week, and this last tourney pushed me over the edge. I'm calm, Its just been cold, and i havent had sleep in 2 weeks, so ya.But I appreciate all the replies.and Alan, keep up the good work. thanks

JC those mtt are so freaking frustrating. I love them when you actually pick up some hands and bust some donks but if you don't pick up any big hands and don't have the opportunity to bluff people, its so frustrating. I guess the only way to deal with the stress is uh.....booze?

I feel the same was as Royal_Tour...it just seems like with a one or two rushes then cashing is a shoo-in, but then that one drawout or bad beat happens and 3 hours is wasted. The other thing that sucks is you're guarenteed at least 2 hours of play no matter what MTT it is, just playing a solid game and waitin to double up once or twice. after the 2 hours is over it really depends on cards and the table you're at, being next to a chip leader right after the 2nd break always sucks.i finished 31 when top 20 pay in a MTT on UB yesterday, lost my trip 10's w/a king to the BB who had 10-4 and caught a boat on the river. Was above average and he only had a couple hundred more chips than me...that led to pissing away another $75 on ring games and sit n gos cuz i bored and frustated...currently playing in the 12k guarenteed $30+3 on UB, at the first break now w/25% above average, we'll see how tonight goes...

I play tournaments because of the return on investment I can get for a few dollars. You can't sit down with $50 in a cash game and win $5,000 in five hours. The highs in tournments can be euphroic, while the lows are very depressing. For these feeling to occur less, you must not get emotionally involved when you play. If a bad beat happens, and you are shorted-stacked, don't dwell on it, but find a good spot to try and double up. And also, don't worry about other players at other tables. Focus in on your table, and the other players.

4 outta top 6 people are at my table, im in 3rd...115 ppl left, i need this table to get broken up, so many chips...
gl buddyCurrenty 2nd in my $20 MTT Stud Hi, tourney 30 minutes after the 1st break. Tournament only had 56, 25 left

we're into the antes now, which is why i love UB tourneys...so many easy pots out there. my table still has an assload of chips, but everyone is just takin it slow so far. under 90 nowgl to you too