let's say I buy in for the minimum, or close to it, at a heads up table against a total donk who has, oh, 10 or 15 times my stack. NL cash game. I have maybe 20 big bets buy in.If it is true that I should always play when I'm +EV in a cash game, but that if it were a tournament situation i would be very likely to go broke, when should I quit, if ever? If I shouldn't quit when I'm +EV, it is essentially a tourney, but if it were a tourney, i'd be -EV. right?I ask this question cause the other day I did this exact thing, I went broke a couple times and finally bought in for the minimum a third time and took his entire stack with a few double ups. but i didnt know if it was a good idea to be in there in the first place.

A big stack that plays poorly is a dream. Play him every time. Only if you make a mistake are you going broke. I don't understand the tournament analogy. Are you saing that if you are short stacked in a tournament it is -ev? That is only true if both players are equally skilled. Otherwise skill makes up some gap in chip stack.I think you stick in there as long as he lets you take his money.

thats not quite what i'm saying.If we get down to heads up in a tourney, and I am outchipped 10 to 1, I am an underdog, even if the other guy is a total donk. And what i'm saying is, if i never quit playing a guy in a heads up NL cash game, it's essentially as though it were a tourney, right? cause you don't quit in tourneys. So, in a cash game, since I'm better, I'm +EV, but if I never leave the game, I am favored to lose all my chips, because i am so outchipped, making me -EV at the same time. make sense?

Well, I think the real question is why are you buying in short?If it's because you can't afford to risk a full buy-in, then you should quit when the amount on the table exceeds what you feel comfortable gambling with.If you're buying in short because you think your edge is greater that way, than go ahead and stay at the table as long as your edge remains relatively strong.