barry greeenstein--why is this true?

again obviously i would love to live the life phil does, he has one of the best poker CAREERS of all time, but what have you done for me lately? And i don't care what you say the answer is not much. He had a really tough year at the 2005 WSOP after he proclaimed the 2004 an "offyear", I know the TOC was impressive but it's not the same as placing third in an offical event
I wish a tough year for me included making the final table of the Pot Limit Omaha event, as well as cashing a half dozen times.
Currently Ranked 634 on the Cardplayer rankings, so yea, I would say he's been having a pretty tough year. If he personally wasn't disappointed with his play i would say he's lost his edge. Oh yea, and that's in tourneys where phil is regarded as a premeir player, I wasn't even mentioning the cash games where he routinely gets railed.
The rankings don't include his results from the Heads Up Championship, which would change things a bit. Not his best year by any means however.Patrick
when is the last time phil has gone deep in a tourney he wasn't invited to, has to be the 2004 wsop, it's time to put up or shut up, i wouldn't be so critical if he wasn't making millions on endorsements just because of his name and his attitude
Didnt he make the final table of the PLO event

I think he is the palest and ugliest tool out there.But yes, he is a great HE player who can ONLY play well against pros. His style cannot be adjusted to beat the amateurs and unconventional styles that are surfacing today, and he tilts like a 2 month old without a breast in its mouth. Hence the whining and crying.Diggidy - out. :twisted:

I think he is the palest and ugliest tool out there.But yes, he is a great HE player who can ONLY play well against pros. His style cannot be adjusted to beat the amateurs and unconventional styles that are surfacing today, and he tilts like a 2 month old without a breast in its mouth. Hence the whining and crying.Diggidy - out. :twisted:
I disagree man, except for the part about being a tool, he struggles the most against pros who he can't intimidate and has more trouble outplaying, the heads up championship is a nice feather is his cape, but do you think he actually made money on POKER this year, i doubt he did well between some of his cash game losses (noted by DN) and his avg. (at best) tourney record. Let's remember this is a guy who was making over a mil a year playing in the early 90s when these 10k tourneys weren't happening every week. I'm not saying he'll never get back to where he was, i'm just saying he aint even close right now.
the heads up championship is a nice feather is his cape, but do you think he actually made money on POKER this year, i doubt he did well between some of his cash game losses (noted by DN) and his avg. (at best) tourney record. .
Well, he has 845k in tournament winnings this year (345k + 500k for Heads Up Championship), so I'd say he _has_ made money this year via poker. I don't think he's paid more then 200-300k in entry fees, nor do I think he has lost more then 500k in cash games. Patrick

his "mediocre" year this year made him a decent amount of money. i'm sure he netted at least 100k after taxes and other poker-related expenses. yes, he probably made more money on endorsements, but unless he pissed away all his poker winnings in the cash games he's so bad at, he did better than a lot of professionals.

He also played very well at this year's WSOP.Excuse me?He had 4 cashes but only earned a little over 95 grand total. He made one final table, but that was 8th place.
1) Only 95 grand? Ok, you must have more money than I do.2) You listed his results, I was talking about the way he played. Two different things. If you can't understand that, then there is no point in discussing this with you.And before anyone asks, I base my analysis on how he played at the WSOP mainly on transcipts of then hands, but also include TV coverage and internet/magainze articles. I obviously didn't see his hole cards every hand, and I'm not claiming that I did.

You have no idea how well or badly he played - no one does. You saw no more of a tiny fraction of his hole cards during the WSOP, which is what it would take to definitively judge the way he played. He only made one final table at the WSOP and was out in 8th place, so his presence in the cardplayer logs was very very limited.For observers, results are all we have.1) Only 95 grand? Ok, you must have more money than I do. Barely enough to cover his entrance fees (if he weren't comp'd by Ultimate Bet for these). Do you have any idea how many players made substantially more than that at the WSOP this year?

Phil always gets ragged on for paying too much attention the business side projects, but I think it's a fantastic strategy. Milk it while you can, and guarantee a steady flow of income. I would do it if I were in his position too. Daniel has been the same way (despite his recent return to the game) and probably feels the same way: being a poker pro guarantees absolutly ZERO income, unless you tap the outside sources. Good for Phil.

You have no idea how well or badly he played - no one does. You saw no more of a tiny fraction of his hole cards during the WSOP
You know, people should be required to pass a reading test before they are allowed access to the internet:"And before anyone asks, I base my analysis on how he played at the WSOP mainly on transcipts of the hands..."
when is the last time phil has gone deep in a tourney he wasn't invited to, has to be the 2004 wsop, it's time to put up or shut up, i wouldn't be so critical if he wasn't making millions on endorsements just because of his name and his attitude
well iguess if you don't count the National heads up championship that he won or the final table at this years Omaha WSOP event then ya maybe last years WSOP would be it.
Maybe you should do more research before you spout off things that are completly untrue.
When was the last time you went deep in a tourney you weren't invited to? Oh wait, you dont even garner invites to these tournaments. Shut the **** up like you can comment on Phil Hellmuth in any way, shape or form. "Put up or shut up", give me a break.
the heads up championship is a nice feather is his cape, but do you think he actually made money on POKER this year, i doubt he did well between some of his cash game losses (noted by DN) and his avg. (at best) tourney record. .
Well, he has 845k in tournament winnings this year (345k + 500k for Heads Up Championship), so I'd say he _has_ made money this year via poker. I don't think he's paid more then 200-300k in entry fees, nor do I think he has lost more then 500k in cash games. Patrick
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I know then they filmed the three days of the 300-600 NL, 100,000 min buy in cash game, that from the sound of DN's blog, Hellmuth got murdered, buying in serveral times. Though, from what I understand, Hellmuth makes a bundle playing rich stars, sports figures and business men, so who knows.
Any player ranked in the top 100 would wipe out ANYONE on this site period...Phil's game is very different than the game that is played today, as is Johnny Chan's, Doyle's, Harrington's etc. and each of these people have had limited success since the explosion of poker in the past 5 years...Does this make them poor players, absolutely not...I think that these older style players will make comebacks in the next few years and dominate again... he is making millions because he has been one of the most successful tourney players of all time...THAT is why he gets the extra $$...and I don't even like Hellmuth, but I respect his record as I do Chan's and Brunson's